Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
SashaMitchell
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Aftermarket prices take complete nosedive

Specifically the MK and SF lines. I'm seeing Balrog selling under $200 on ebay, same for Scorpion. Goro is below retail too.

Any idea why the prices took such a hit in aftermarket? Is it the warehouse gems program flooding the market?
SashaMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaMitchell View Post
Specifically the MK and SF lines. I'm seeing Balrog selling under $200 on ebay, same for Scorpion. Goro is below retail too.

Any idea why the prices took such a hit in aftermarket? Is it the warehouse gems program flooding the market?
The bubble has burst.

Today’s statues cost $570.00 retail. What could you possibly expect to resell a quarter scale statue at to net a profit.

Everything would have to have “grail status” to turn a profit with today’s ludicrous retail. So they don’t sell out and you can buy the stuff anytime you want it. Supply and demand my friend. Limitless supply and zero demand.

The old aftermarket prices were because this stuff was extremely limited and sold out quickly at a competitive price. That idea is laughable with the current state of the hobby.

The New Trinity from SS looks magnificent. But at $500.00 - $600.00 per quarter scale I’ll be buying none of them. Sad.

Even Hot Toys has jumped from the days of $150.00 1/6 scale to $300.00 1/6 scale for some pieces.

The collectible hobby is being gutted by these prices imho. I started collecting in 1997 with Bowen Superman and I’m basically on my way out of the Statue game.

Honestly it blows.

My two cents. Hopefully something will change.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
ambasah
Red Skull

it is the entire market. SS, Prime1, XM ... the vast majority are sold for less than retail in the aftermarket.

MK and SF have a far smaller fanbase so the chance of just breaking even is slim these days.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Honestly, I think the incredibly long wait time for PCS statues has people losing interest.

I haven't purchased anything from this company because I think waiting 2-3 years for a piece is ridiculous.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

PCS has a vastly superior Goro coming out but i have not heard anything about it in months. Even under new management this company just moves way too slow
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Vendetta
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiez View Post
PCS has a vastly superior Goro coming out but i have not heard anything about it in months. Even under new management this company just moves way too slow
I think they deserve a little more time to really fix things, most notably the seemingly industry-worst lead times from preorder to delivery - I'd imagine clearing the backlog they have is no small feat.

Delivering 1/3 Chun-Li on time or even ahead of schedule (as I think I saw Red Ant suggest recently is how things are tracking) would be a welcome sign.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I think they deserve a little more time to really fix things, most notably the seemingly industry-worst lead times from preorder to delivery - I'd imagine clearing the backlog they have is no small feat.

Delivering 1/3 Chun-Li on time or even ahead of schedule (as I think I saw Red Ant suggest recently is how things are tracking) would be a welcome sign.
The state of PCS has little to do with the overall problems facing Statue collecting.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
Vendetta
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
The state of PCS has little to do with the overall problems facing Statue collecting.
Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that (and after skimming through again I realize this thread is meant to speak to the macro-level trend) - I was just compelled to respond to the previous comment about PCS moving too slowly.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Blacksunn
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I don't think backlogs or long waits have anything to do with this... I believe it was the poor quality as of late causing an uproar and definitely the warehouse gems causing PCS pricing to crash substantially. I have several items, most new in the box listed for half what I paid for them and they still are not moving. substantially

If you think resale is bad on older pieces I can't imagine how many customers are bailing on their upcoming PCS pre-orders. I have about 23 on preorder and I don't think I will be purchasing any of them that I don't have fully prepaid. I might keep Goro 1:3 if pics surface and he is good.
Blacksunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 PM   #10
chunkster702
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

When the collection is worth a lot less than what you paid, you start resenting it. I sold all of my 1/4 scale and lost money on most of it.
chunkster702 is offline   Reply With Quote