Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #21
krec99
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
It kinda reflects the 90's comic bubble really.

PCS' SF statues were selling for a bomb because they were rare.

PCS then kept pumping them out and repeating characters. Everyone thought they would continue to command big dollars in the secondary market but that's simply not the case.

Added to that pain, is that statues are not comics, or even action figures. They take up a lot of space, so as newer statues come out, with better manufacturing and quality it's only natural that the original ones decrease.

This last point effects all statue companies.

You should really only try and purchase things you think you are willing to keep forever. I have very few regrets and even those I haven't tried to sell.

Add to that what some of the previous posters have mentioned, the raising costs of the statue and shipping, makes it more difficult to break even, let alone get a return.
Sideshow is doing this too it’s sad .
krec99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #22
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Ok, so, almost three pages of moaning about low secondary market prices for statues. So, this makes me think, he'll, there's a few statues I passed on, let's take a look and snag a bargain...

Low and behold, it turns out that EVERY statue I see on eBay is AT LEAST the original rrp or well over. So, this leads me to conclude the following:

1. Secondary prices are low on very specific statues or statue lines, from very specific companies - this is clearly NOT a General phenomenon affecting every statue, line and company. Think I'm wrong? Please point me in the direction where I can get a Prime 1 Geralt of Rivia for 40 - 60% off the original price.

2. The people complaining are not shopping in places like eBay, which again, suggests the issue isn't a General issue, but restricted to certain retail sites / places where a bargain can be had.

3. Probably the most likely of the three, The Band Wagon effect. This is where someone feels they have a legitimate reason to launch a complaint, and others, with no factual evidence or direct experience, jumps on the bandwagon because it's another excuse to complain about the hobby they freely chose to engage in.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #23
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Ok, so, almost three pages of moaning about low secondary market prices for statues. So, this makes me think, he'll, there's a few statues I passed on, let's take a look and snag a bargain...

Low and behold, it turns out that EVERY statue I see on eBay is AT LEAST the original rrp or well over. So, this leads me to conclude the following:

1. Secondary prices are low on very specific statues or statue lines, from very specific companies - this is clearly NOT a General phenomenon affecting every statue, line and company. Think I'm wrong? Please point me in the direction where I can get a Prime 1 Geralt of Rivia for 40 - 60% off the original price.

2. The people complaining are not shopping in places like eBay, which again, suggests the issue isn't a General issue, but restricted to certain retail sites / places where a bargain can be had.

3. Probably the most likely of the three, The Band Wagon effect. This is where someone feels they have a legitimate reason to launch a complaint, and others, with no factual evidence or direct experience, jumps on the bandwagon because it's another excuse to complain about the hobby they freely chose to engage in.

Try looking at what they actually sold for and not what wishful flippers are asking...

I've had statues listed on Ebay for what I paid for them and they have sat for months it's not until I lower the prices by 20%-30% that I start to get bites... What don't you actual try to selling something before -----ing about our -----ing...

BTW, asking for a deep discount on a new statue that just came out is pretty bad example to support your argument. Were talking about selling older statues that have been out for a few years...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #24
craigcliff1
Zot

I have about 75 statues I am unloading, SSC, P1. I.A.. Just the Emperor on Throne PF, MR Snowspeeder, I.A. Hulkbuster are worth above retail, the others are at least 1/4 below retail. My P1 Batman and Arkham Knight was glad I just lost $100.00 or so. So 70 statues or so aren't worth retail. Yes some of the classic do keep their value. The pieces that I bought 10 years ago I was able to sell a few years ago and make some money on them.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #25
goto
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkster702 View Post
When the collection is worth a lot less than what you paid, you start resenting it. I sold all of my 1/4 scale and lost money on most of it.
I have the
Xm Batman
Xm Ghostrider
Xm Dark Phoenix(on PO)

Think and hope that these statues added value in some years when i should decide to sell them.
The collectors in europe payed more money to get his grail.
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #26
craigcliff1
Zot

They might, but shipping going just keep going up and up. I can imagine in a couple of years they charge $500.00 to ship a 1/4.
Half way there already.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #27
chunkster702
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goto View Post
I have the
Xm Batman
Xm Ghostrider
Xm Dark Phoenix(on PO)

Think and hope that these statues added value in some years when i should decide to sell them.
The collectors in europe payed more money to get his grail.
I think only the Ghost Rider piece is going to hold some value. Too many different Batmans to chose from and Sideshow did a better job with Dark Phoenix imo.
chunkster702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #28
goto
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkster702 View Post
. Too many different Batmans to chose from and Sideshow did a better job with Dark Phoenix imo.
The XM Batman have a never seen equipment diversity you can make a lot of batmans with one statue when ever you want,think the price grow up
Are you serious that Sideshow did a better job with DP?,i have seen her in a convention and was flashed and seen DP from Sideshow too,there is a difference like night and day.
I know that is not the theme here but we will see...
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #29
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Try looking at what they actually sold for and not what wishful flippers are asking...

I've had statues listed on Ebay for what I paid for them and they have sat for months it's not until I lower the prices by 20%-30% that I start to get bites... What don't you actual try to selling something before -----ing about our -----ing...

BTW, asking for a deep discount on a new statue that just came out is pretty bad example to support your argument. Were talking about selling older statues that have been out for a few years...
I have sold statues before, and I made a loss. I recognise this loss was purely down to my sales strategy (or lack of) rather than some cloak and dagger global conspiracy affecting second hand prices.

However, let me counter my own point, because you mentioned older statues. I have a Yamato Luz Malefic, I love this piece, there were 600 made. I've been searching for another one, and the prices are sky high! I can understand if a Spider-Man or Batman statue from 5 years ago is worth less, these are the character's that these companies keep pumping out - this is probably (maybe to a lesser degree) the same for Star Wars. How many Darth Vaders are out there, or Bobafett?

But, this is a problem related to a particular I.P. or characters (I imagine Darth Talon is still doing well). And when you think about it, it's just logical.

In my opinion, if you're into Statue collecting because you see it as some kind of investment, you steer clear of anything "mainstream" like Marvel, D.C. or Star Wars unless, (like Darth Talon) it is a character that you feel certain won't come up very often.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #30
ukshaun
Hercules

Some statues drop in price. Some, they go up in price.

SHE - HULK PREMIUM FORMAT SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES REGULAR EDITION - EUR 1,500.00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHE-HULK-P...oAAOSwQfpZs~4k

Deadpool Marvel Comics Gentle Giant Statue New Factory Sealed 2012 - US $1,695.00
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deadpool-...sAAOSwYaFWdHvI
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote