Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #21
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneeukca View Post
I'm guessing you won't be buying the Museum edition.

Only if it comes with a 5 by 7 limited edition printing of a previously released limited edition print that's a reproduction of another limited edition print but this one has a silver border which means I gotta have it if I'm able to live happily ever again. I must have all 872 printings of the same print in each possible color imaginable.

Kidding aside, kudos to Aspen if they manage to pull off selling this run of unpainted statues at double the cost.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #22
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Pass...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #23
Davidian
Omega Flight

Saw someone post this on the Bay and were asking like $899 or some crap.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #24
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

i think it looks bad on the company when they try to pull a stunt like this. it makes customers have ill feelings towards them.
instead of selling upainted castings for $150.00, nearly double the cost is just bad business.
i highly doubt more than 1 copy was sold.(counting the 1 guy on ebay who bought it to sell for $899.00)
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #25
Phillip
Producer
Producer

Hi All,

I just got back in the country and leave again. Also just found out about this thread so let me address this real quick and how it came about. Plus it is getting pretty harsh with the posts considering everything.

The White addition came about when the factory had to make a few more of the Regular edition because of damages and we talked them into producing some unpainted because some of these were turning out really nice. The Regular edition was already done and you can ask Danny how tight it was because we almost didn’t get Bronze blanks done in time. But the White idea came from a few professionals in the sculpting industry so that they could have a bare bones edition. These requests came from a couple big names that produce some great product themselves in the industry and whom you all know.

I also had requests from people breaking into the industry to produce something they could paint and use to show potential clients what they were capable of.

And the last reason for producing these were for Aspen employees and VIP clients.

Only 40 were made and not 50. The 50 number used by Aspen was a mistake and is being corrected. And out of the 40 I would honestly say after employees, clients and filling the requests I’d say only around 20 to 25 are really available. I took two as well.

In regards to how the “Museum” edition came about that was Aspen Marketing kicking in to put a nice spin on the item, which every company does and I could give you many examples of this.

I purposely put the “NO AP” logo on the bottom of these so it would be clear these were not trying to “milk” the Edition. I’m not sure if that helps but that was the intention.

That being said when Aspen had dispersed these White editions and found out they had around 20 left they decided to offer them through the store, but never the intention originally to go public with these. I only found out myself this week after returning from China. I figured a few would be sold but never actually marketed on the Aspen store or have nice name as “Museum” edition. And when making the blanks for the Bronze edition which were painted black I had the factory put a finishing black on an addition ten and sent those ten back to Aspen as well. So since I’m here in the country right now I'm making you aware that 10 solid black Kiani statues were made because I thought they looked nice. I have one so that means Aspen has 9. So no surprises while I’m gone in case those are offered as well.

The price is high on the White edition because these were not ordered at the same time as the regular edition. Also I think everyone keeps forgetting that Aspen is not a VOLUME statue producing company as say Side Show, Bowen or Diamond. So the price Aspen pays for a statue is quite a bit more. I would say from the numbers I’ve seen it is as much as double or more. Aspen has produced 2 statues in around 4 years and when compared with the other companies you can see why our price per unit is quite a bit higher. The shipping companies charge us more as well. They actually don’t even remember Aspen because of how little Aspen ships.

And when Aspen put the numbers to what the White ones costs, plus my trips to China and the low edition size that is how they came up with the price. You also have to remember that Aspen is paying British pounds for the sculpting as well. And if you haven’t turn on the news lately to see how weak our dollar is you need to. It really hurts the bottom line when paying for services abroad and especially in the UK.

Another factor is how long Aspen had money tied up in this project. Almost two years before Aspen saw any return on that money. That is a long time to wait and you all know the reason. So I’m sure when Aspen saw a few of the White editions left they decided to try and recover some more of the money spent on this project.

Also in regards to price of the White edition it shows what a great value the Bronze editions are going to be, because each one of those is an original from Dan. It was a great way to offer something of value and rarity to give back.

My personal feeling regarding this White edition is that it some ways it is similar to the alternate covers in comics, in the sense that I look at those as an option not “milking” the fans. I personally like having the option to pick the cover I like the best.

And if the cover I like the best happens to be say $15 because they produced fewer of that particular cover that’s fine. It’s my call but I certainly don’t criticize people for buying what they like even I feel it’s not worth it.

The same goes for original comic art. Some collectors only prefer buying the pencils and others prefer the pencil/inked and yet even others only buying paintings.

Another example is certain comic artists ink their own work and others are inked by a different artist. So some art collectors put more value on the certain art depending on what criteria they prefer. I sell Gary Frank’s art and I hear all the pros and cons for all the different versions and again find no fault or any reason to criticize any collectors likes or dislikes when they are buying.

Heck look at the White version as an un-inked or un-colored version of original art.

That’s the beauty of living here is that everyone can like what they want and buy what they want. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. I think that’s way it goes.

You might not agree with that and that’s fine but just sharing my take on it.

Anyway I’ve got to leave again just in case you have a question and you don’t get a response.

Thanks again for the support.

Phillip
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #26
JSA
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Thank you for the clarification Phillip. Always appreciated.

JS
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #27
Phillip
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
i think it looks bad on the company when they try to pull a stunt like this. it makes customers have ill feelings towards them.
instead of selling upainted castings for $150.00, nearly double the cost is just bad business.
i highly doubt more than 1 copy was sold.(counting the 1 guy on ebay who bought it to sell for $899.00)
Wow Tony I had no idea you knew what Aspen costs were on this project???????

Actually what you think Aspen should be selling these for is not that far off from what they're paying.

What are you using to base this on? This is a pretty complicated statue so I'd be interested in how you came up with your numbers?

And I just called Aspen and out of the 25 that were left over to offer the public I understand only about ten are left as of today. Not that it really matters how many we sell to you. Right?

I honestly don't know how people have the time in their days to post negative things. I certainly don't.

Phillip
Old 11-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #28
Phillip
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Only if it comes with a 5 by 7 limited edition printing of a previously released limited edition print that's a reproduction of another limited edition print but this one has a silver border which means I gotta have it if I'm able to live happily ever again. I must have all 872 printings of the same print in each possible color imaginable.

Kidding aside, kudos to Aspen if they manage to pull off selling this run of unpainted statues at double the cost.
Hi Risingstar,

I'm surprised at your post as well????? Did someone post at some time what Aspen's costs were on this statue and I missed it? I'm assuming that with this post you think that Aspen pays the same as the big boys do? And if so you're wrong. If Aspen was I think Diamond, Bowen, Side Show would be pretty unhappy considering the thousands of statues they produce in a month. Aspen has produced two statues in 4 years for a total of around 2,000 units.

I think the companies I've mentioned are producing that much with one character.

Since some of the people posting in this thread seem to know quite a bit about the numbers in the industry does anyone care just for comparison to tell me how many statues in 4 years that either Diamond, Side Show or Bowen has produced?

Phillip
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #29
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
Wow Tony I had no idea you knew what Aspen costs were on this project???????

Actually what you think Aspen should be selling these for is not that far off from what they're paying.

What are you using to base this on? This is a pretty complicated statue so I'd be interested in how you came up with your numbers?

And I just called Aspen and out of the 25 that were left over to offer the public I understand only about ten are left as of today. Not that it really matters how many we sell to you. Right?

I honestly don't know how people have the time in their days to post negative things. I certainly don't.

Phillip
i actually have nothing to base what i've said. heck, i have no idea how much it would cost. i just thought they were way overpriced so i expressed my opinion. thats all. i'm sorry if i sounded negative/harsh. you're right i should know what i'm talking about before i post. (man, admitting a mistake is a lot harder than i thought).if i have someting on my mind i just say it. cant control that.
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
Phillip
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedo10 View Post
Where is the Lava Edition?
Hi Weedo,

We are definitely working on it and should be in the first quarter of the 08. We are on the schedule at the factory and it just takes time. Thanks for staying with us.

Phillip