Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Namor Question

Spoilers.

I don't read any Avengers title anymore. Hickman killed the franchise for me and, while I was into Remender's Uncanny Avengers for the first couple of arcs the Kang arc jumped the shark for me and I've bailed.

That said, I was flipping through the latest issue of Avengers at my lcs and saw that T'Challa and Black Bolt stabbed, sonic blasted (Black Bolt's voice) and then left Namor on a planet which they then destroyed. I know from AvX Black Panther hates Namor for attacking Wakanda while under the influence of the Phoenix Force and am aware Namor is responsible for Thanos' attacking Wakanda in Infinity and also for sacrificing/destroying some other counter-Earth much to the shock of his Illuminati partners.

So, for those following this, did Black Panther and Black Bolt actually kill Prince Namor? Is Marvel's oldest character now dead? I believe he's been grossly mishandled under Hickman, made more of a self serving prick and villain. But was he now killed?

Last edited by wktf; 01-30-2015 at 10:38 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Is Marvel's oldest character now dead?
Joe, like you said they left Namor on a planet which they then destroyed, so they want you to believe he's dead. But I can't believe they would kill Namor, one of the oldest characters. He will be back for sure.
And I understand why T'Challa would want Namor dead, but I don't understand why Black Bolt would help him.
T'Challa doesn't want Namor to destroy another Earth (so this Earth survives), because "killing is bad". But killing Namor seems to be no problem.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Spoilers.

I don't read any Avengers title anymore. Hickman killed the franchise for me and, while I was into Remender's Uncanny Avengers for the first couple of arcs the Kang arc jumped the shark for me and I've bailed.

That said, I was flipping through the latest issue of Avengers at my lcs and saw that T'Challa and Black Bolt stabbed, sonic blasted (Black Bolt's voice) and then left Namor on a planet which they then destroyed. I know from AvX Black Panther hates Namor for attacking Wakanda while under the influence of the Phoenix Force and am aware Namor is responsible for Thanos' attacking Wakanda in Infinity and also for sacrificing/destroying some other counter-Earth much to the shock of his Illuminati partners.

So, for those following this, did Black Panther and Black Bolt actually kill Prince Namor? Is Marvel's oldest character now dead? I believe he's been grossly mishandled under Hickman, made more of a self serving prick and villain. But was he now killed?

Alas, this is someone else's Marvel Universe. Sadly, these are no longer the characters I grew up loving. There are times when I wonder if today's X-Box immediate-gratification generation of comic writers grew up reading comics at all. My sense is that many of them either never read the silver age era of Marvel or simply found it unengaging and dismissed it as dated childish material.

While there's no denying that some Modern era comic books have been a delight to read, it's become painfully evident that the Modern era has become largely defined by event driven storylines as opposed to by character driven storylines. The harsh reality is that many of us who have been reading comics for 40+ years are now considered dinosaurs. We've become something to be tolerated rather than indulged by the comics industry.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Even though Namor appears to have died there was no fanfare about it and his image is shown on mltiple Secret Wars covers that I have seen. I think it was wishful thinking for T'Challa & Black Bolt but Namor will re-emerge
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Damnnnn, Rising Star, you pull no punches with your assessment & I can't help but agree with most of it. Still, writers like Waid, Jones, Bendis, and a few others, did demonstrate a reverence for what went on in the decades before, one could read it in their comics, for a time. Joe Quesada certainly grew up & read comics during the bronze age. I don't really know what's happened lately. I suppose that you're right when it comes to the newer writers, most of who's names I haven't bothered to learn. I'm still not sure what the "F" has happened. I haven't been to my lcs for 3 weeks on account that there's nothing being released I want to make the drive for ... which is the 1st time in my decades of collecting that I've ever done this.

Still can't help but chuckle though, that when it comes to movies & TV shows, the writers always seem to go back & lift plot-devices from the very books both companies have forsaken with new histories.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léon View Post
Joe, like you said they left Namor on a planet which they then destroyed, so they want you to believe he's dead. But I can't believe they would kill Namor, one of the oldest characters. He will be back for sure.
And I understand why T'Challa would want Namor dead, but I don't understand why Black Bolt would help him.
T'Challa doesn't want Namor to destroy another Earth (so this Earth survives), because "killing is bad". But killing Namor seems to be no problem.
I think the issue title "We Three Kings" is the clue in that Black Bolt being a king himself, empathized with T'Challa.

Those other Earths had billions of innocents on them so that's why T'Challa and the rest of the illuminati couldn't go through with destroying another one. No comparison really to just getting rid of Namor.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:21 AM   #7
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Alas, this is someone else's Marvel Universe. Sadly, these are no longer the characters I grew up loving. There are times when I wonder if today's X-Box immediate-gratification generation of comic writers grew up reading comics at all. My sense is that many of them either never read the silver age era of Marvel or simply found it unengaging and dismissed it as dated childish material.

While there's no denying that some Modern era comic books have been a delight to read, it's become painfully evident that the Modern era has become largely defined by event driven storylines as opposed to by character driven storylines. The harsh reality is that many of us who have been reading comics for 40+ years are now considered dinosaurs. We've become something to be tolerated rather than indulged by the comics industry.

100% in agreement with your feeing on this RS...
Meteor Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post

Well said and I'm in total agreement. There used to be a time when I could easily say Marvel was the superior comic book company imo because they had heroic yet flawed heroes vs DC's predominately "god-like" heroes with whom I could never fully relate to. Now it's all crap from from both companies. The essence of most of the characters I loved has been lost. Even books that get reviewed highly usually make me cringe when I give them a try.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Well said and I'm in total agreement. There used to be a time when I could easily say Marvel was the superior comic book company imo because they had heroic yet flawed heroes vs DC's predominately "god-like" heroes with whom I could never fully relate to. Now it's all crap from from both companies. The essence of most of the characters I loved has been lost. Even books that get reviewed highly usually make me cringe when I give them a try.
When I make such statements I've gotten branded a "hater." But, suffice to say, I agreed with Bulls and RS.

Last edited by wktf; 02-03-2015 at 12:10 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Quote:
When I make such statements I've gotten branded a "hater." But, suffice to say, I agreed with Bulls and RS.
First off I apologise WKTF for the "Hater" remark. But, the way things are going in the comic industry it really does appear that people in their 40's or older are being left out to dry.

Things change, like for me I use to love Hockey, but as I got older the game changed and the players changed to the point I did not recognize any of them. So, I dropped Hockey.

I know this is not the greates analogy, but it is the closest I can get to relating to your predicament regarding comics.
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote