Old 06-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #271
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebowski9999 View Post
Great news, if true (and approved).

Now, the real question:

Will Disney handle all these licenses like they have with Marvel - with a coherent, competent strategy and planned roadmap, or like Star Wars - with rushed attempts to recoup their billions of dollars of investment?
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #272
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Great news, if true (and approved).

Now, the real question:

Will Disney handle all these licenses like they have with Marvel - with a coherent, competent strategy and planned roadmap, or like Star Wars - with rushed attempts to recoup their billions of dollars of investment?
I don't know that the issue with SW necessarily is that it was rushed to make back their $4B investment. I seem to remember reading an article at the time but Disney had recouped their money shortly before Rogue One even came out via ticket/home video sales of TFA, licensing, and most importantly merchandising. Looking back on it, they stole it for only $4B.

I don't think the anthology movies detract from the quality of the trilogy movies as there is no real overlap of resources across the two. Yes, there is a new movie every single year to us but they are completely separate entities. I think people either like the direction they are taking or don't, simple as that.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #273
SONICobra
Batman

so much money... lulz cant even imagine
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #274
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know that the issue with SW necessarily is that it was rushed to make back their $4B investment. I seem to remember reading an article at the time but Disney had recouped their money shortly before Rogue One even came out via ticket/home video sales of TFA, licensing, and most importantly merchandising. Looking back on it, they stole it for only $4B.

I don't think the anthology movies detract from the quality of the trilogy movies as there is no real overlap of resources across the two. Yes, there is a new movie every single year to us but they are completely separate entities. I think people either like the direction they are taking or don't, simple as that.
1) The anthology movies have been quietly canceled.

2) With regards to acquiring Fox's film and TV divisions, Comcast can still submit a new offer, and any acquisition (by any company) is subject to regulatory approval. Even if Disney ultimately outbids Comcast, Uncle Sam could still say, "No."
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #275
Superman_Rules
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
That wasn't so much Disney as the subsidiary companies. Kevin Feige is the president of Marvel Studios and clearly knows what he is doing. Kathleen Kennedy is the president of LucasFilms and seems to just be winging it. I mean they didn't even have a coherent plan for the sequel trilogy. Obviously Disney can step in and change things if it's not working, but the blame lies with the subsidiary company. Will they keep FOX running as a subsidiary like they have with Pixar, LucasFilms, and Marvel Studios?
Superman_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #276
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_Rules View Post
That wasn't so much Disney as the subsidiary companies. Kevin Feige is the president of Marvel Studios and clearly knows what he is doing. Kathleen Kennedy is the president of LucasFilms and seems to just be winging it. I mean they didn't even have a coherent plan for the sequel trilogy. Obviously Disney can step in and change things if it's not working, but the blame lies with the subsidiary company. Will they keep FOX running as a subsidiary like they have with Pixar, LucasFilms, and Marvel Studios?
Star Wars and comics are completely different.
How many times in the comics have people read Batman fight the Joker over and over?
How many times do you think people would watch a movie of Luke fighting Vader over and over?

Kevin Feige lucked out.
A lot of the plan was there from the comics to tie all the Marvel movies together and the they benefit from greater mass appeal by being able to be associated with real modern life and current cultural influences and humor that doesn't apply to Star Wars.

There's a reason why George Lucas never went this route and the Star Wars comics and such have never reached the popularity of their Marvel and DC counterparts.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #277
biglebowski9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
1) The anthology movies have been quietly canceled.

2) With regards to acquiring Fox's film and TV divisions, Comcast can still submit a new offer, and any acquisition (by any company) is subject to regulatory approval. Even if Disney ultimately outbids Comcast, Uncle Sam could still say, "No."

1) I'll quietly wait for you to post the link to that official announcement.

2) If you think that there is even a 1% chance the FTC denies it after approving AT&T/TW, best of luck. But if you like debating semantics, then "sure."
Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #278
biglebowski9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

There's a reason why George Lucas never went this route and the Star Wars comics and such have never reached the popularity of their Marvel and DC counterparts.
Considering his recent revelation of how he would have handled the 3rd trilogy, we should consider ourselves lucky this is true.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #279
Superman_Rules
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Considering his recent revelation of how he would have handled the 3rd trilogy, we should consider ourselves lucky this is true.
I'm pretty sure that was just more Disney paid damage control news. He did have the idea for the whills in the past, but I don't think the script ideas he gave Kennedy (that she subsequently threw out) included any of that stuff.
Superman_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #280
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Star Wars and comics are completely different.
How many times in the comics have people read Batman fight the Joker over and over?
How many times do you think people would watch a movie of Luke fighting Vader over and over?

Kevin Feige lucked out.
A lot of the plan was there from the comics to tie all the Marvel movies together and the they benefit from greater mass appeal by being able to be associated with real modern life and current cultural influences and humor that doesn't apply to Star Wars.

Star Wars and comic books being different is irrelevant to the fact that a president of a comic book film studio still has to know what he/she is doing. If it was so easy then the DC films would be very successful too.
ParisDean is online now   Reply With Quote