Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 09-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #71
QX403
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Definitely does. I thought I might be able to get away with it with jewelry but when the prototype arrived I was pretty upset. It didn't look fit to be in s crackerjack box. I don't know where I'll go for custom jewelry yet, its a pretty lucrative side business. But statues and figures there are a few places with the quality printers you can go to. They just charge a bunch is all.

If were going to buy a printer the Form 2 caught my eye but the price tag is a bit much, supposedly it's the best desktop printer around though.
3500 is pretty steep for a 5.7x5.7 in printer, that's not very big. I think you're paying for all the bells and whistles and ease of use, you can buy custom made 3-D printers for way less but they aren't as user friendly.
QX403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #72
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QX403 View Post
3500 is pretty steep for a 5.7x5.7 in printer, that's not very big. I think you're paying for all the bells and whistles and ease of use, you can buy custom made 3-D printers for way less but they aren't as user friendly.
I just got a sample print from Formlabs today, it definitely prints well, and uses a durable resin. My one criticism would be that it doesn't print in multiple materials at that price.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #73
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Started my second classic Monster bust today, This one I can actually produce because Frankenstein is public domain and as long as mine isn't a portrait of Boris Karloff I should be okay.

Initial sculpt started well

But I'm not sure if I like What I've done since.

Something feels off but I'm not sure where I went wrong exactly. I'll probably try a few things out this week and see if I can fix it or if I need to go back to the earlier save that I liked and go from there again.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #74
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

A while back, when I was still messing with Traditional sculpting, I entertained the idea of sculpting a certain Mexican pulp hero.

I came across the concept sketch I did the other day...maybe it's time to bring that idea back

Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 AM   #75
Captain Marvel
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I just got a sample print from Formlabs today, it definitely prints well, and uses a durable resin. My one criticism would be that it doesn't print in multiple materials at that price.
It will be interesting to see what direction the industry goes in once they fulllt utilize industrial sized 3D printers that can use multiple materials. Might get to the point where handmade stuff is no longer viable which would be sad.
Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #76
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
It will be interesting to see what direction the industry goes in once they fulllt utilize industrial sized 3D printers that can use multiple materials. Might get to the point where handmade stuff is no longer viable which would be sad.
I think Handmade will always be viable. Printing is goong to be costly especially in other materials for a while.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #77
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

I haven't posted much recently, my dog, Neo, who I've raised for ten years was diagnosed with a bone tumor. The vets did not offer me much in the way of hope so I have started treating him holistically with minerials, vitamins and other natural cancer fighters. This takes quite a bit of time when I'm not at work, preparing his meals with treatments throughout the day, but I am still working, just more slowly.

Here's a Zorro wip, I hope to post more soon.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #78
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Finished busts

Last edited by Josh-a-tron; 11-08-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:10 AM   #79
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Still working on the stylized Gillman
Old 10-24-2017, 03:46 AM   #80
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Happy Halloween