Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

The bottom opening doesn' t even match on the sides
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
Drum18
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Guys, it's a picture from a small video so of course this ain't the best... just a teaser from SSC before SDCC...
Drum18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
dao2
Cyclops

don't need a better picture to tell that the vocoder is tragic :|

It's missing parts so maybe they're snap on or something? Why they would be I have no idea. But if that's really how it is apparently they just decided to say "---- it" when they got there and splashed black paint around.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #14
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
don't need a better picture to tell that the vocoder is tragic :|

It's missing parts so maybe they're snap on or something? Why they would be I have no idea. But if that's really how it is apparently they just decided to say "---- it" when they got there and splashed black paint around.
Which piece is the "vocoder"?

Edit: Never mind. I didn't realize you were talking about the black thing.

The Sideshow version does look sloppy.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Frankly almost every helmet I have seen, the vocoder looks hastily attached.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #16
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
Frankly almost every helmet I have seen, the vocoder looks hastily attached.
what do you mean attached, it's part of the cast on like every helmet :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
Which piece is the "vocoder"?

Edit: Never mind. I didn't realize you were talking about the black thing.

The Sideshow version does look sloppy.
Crazy sloppy. Someone must have missed it or something, that can't be on purpose :|
Old 07-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
PermaGrin

attached, molded, sculpted, painted...every one i seen looks crocked in some form or misaligned.

For example I have been looking at Anvos helms and the trooper one looks lopsided and the paint transition seems soft as well as the actual molded area where they would "connect".
Old 07-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #18
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
attached, molded, sculpted, painted...every one i seen looks crocked in some form or misaligned.

For example I have been looking at Anvos helms and the trooper one looks lopsided and the paint transition seems soft as well as the actual molded area where they would "connect".
If you are comparing the paint work on this to anovos you are off your rocker. This looks like literal ----. Someone literally just took some black paint and splooged it on there. I have an anovos tk helmet, they are painted in the lines.

Second yes of course it's crooked. Because the actual helmet is crooked. A lot of helmets mimic the original helmets asymetricalness because a lot of fans like that (the anovos is asymmetrical). Some don't like the EFX PCH which is an idealized helmet (this also looks idealized and symmetrical). However none of them, not even the super ---- old rubies ones, have paint work like this. I don't mind idealized helmets. You'll see a lot of people who say they don't like them but there's a difference between idealizing and just removing parts of the helmet and bad paint work.

I give SS a lot of ---- but their prototypes are generally quite well done. And even then this ---- work even among the ----tiest of their production statues. Not only is the vocoder off, the paint goes WAY past it. It's not even close to painting "within the lines". Anyone, including a child or animal, could do that paintwork on the vocodor. It is without a doubt in my mind the single worst example of "paintwork" I have ever seen on a statue, much less a life size bust. Which I can only assume (or hope at least) this is an accident or oversight of some sort.

Just a note, I didn't blow up the image or anything, that's just a crop of the same photo. A different not ---- photo won't make the fact that half the ridges are gone and replaced with some sort of ---- "paintjob" better.

Anovos to compare:

That's my anovos, just took those pics. There is a bit of bleed onto the white but the ridges that exist are actually there as opposed to fake painted (hopefully as a placeholder?) and generally within the lines. Also take into account the Anovos helmet is essentially a budget helmet. It was like $150 and even then it has ridges that are supposed to be there and it's the ridges that are painted not an imaginary space. I have better painted lids of course, and the bust won't be cheap.

edit: Also note an important difference. The ANOVOS is a stunt helmet and the SS one is presumably a hero. You can't really say for certain it's a "hero" when idealized but judging by the number of teeth and the bubble lenses (stunt used flat lenses). I'm actually rather partial to the hero as I really like the bubble lenses. Fun fact, the bubble lenses are hard as hell to see through, so when luke says "how do they see in these" he actually probably can't see ---- but every other stormie can see fine :P
Old 07-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #19
PermaGrin

Admittedly, SW helms are an aspect of collecting I have not fully dug into and researched yet. Partly what I am doing in here asking.

I can see the diff better. I did not realize they were supposed to be off a little bit. I have only seen the Anovos in pics and the art on the box.
Your pics do look better than I recall.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #20
BurningRage
Inhumans

Wonder if the helmet is a separate piece like the Vader bust. Shipping would cost more for two boxes.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote