Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 AM   #111
dfens91
Frackin!

I hear all the response from people. I guess I'm just ticked off when you do everything right and a privileged few get ahead of you in line and you wonder how is it possible when you prepared for everything. I've been to a few conventions in the US and it happens all the time, the"trade passes" get the commissions first. I just hope that it does not happen in Australia. The solution is the pre-convention commission and more artists to spread the fans, but Australia is a smart market, at least its a desired location to visit.
All in all, may you all get the commission you desire. Sorry about my whinging. I'll see how it goes when I attend the London Super Comic Con in March.
dfens91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #112
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens91 View Post
I hear all the response from people. I guess I'm just ticked off when you do everything right and a privileged few get ahead of you in line and you wonder how is it possible when you prepared for everything. I've been to a few conventions in the US and it happens all the time, the"trade passes" get the commissions first. I just hope that it does not happen in Australia. The solution is the pre-convention commission and more artists to spread the fans, but Australia is a smart market, at least its a desired location to visit.
All in all, may you all get the commission you desire. Sorry about my whinging. I'll see how it goes when I attend the London Super Comic Con in March.
Good luck

Out of interest which artists did you miss out on to the "few" in oz?

I hear you've done well in past
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #113
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Good luck

Out of interest which artists did you miss out on to the "few" in oz?

I hear you've done well in past

Hung's CAF Gallery would disagree with his claims hey?
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #114
dfens91
Frackin!

You miss understood me, I never said I missed a "few" artist, I was referring to last Supanova in Sydney. Just surprised that "trade passes" were allowed first preference. Pissed off I waited a long time like the rest of the others that missed out. Feels like I was experiencing US waiting in line again to miss out. Just feel like whinging, Sorry.

Most of my commissions were on-line, I had to email them and got it sent through post. Apart from Australia artist which I always support and always get something from them, Most were pre convention pieces except for Frank Cho, David Finch and and quick sketches from George Perez.
dfens91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #115
Woody
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post

I've also put other people ahead of me. I wanted to get Shanan a Labyrinth piece from Mark Brooks to pay her back for the Spidey sketch she got me at Dragon*Con all those years ago, but wanted to make sure that Ken got his sketch, and managed to sneak in a head sketch for Woody. One of the great things about this hobby is meeting fantastic like-minded people (so it's good to do a solid for them whenever possible).
For which you have my external gratitude (and guilt!)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #116
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
For which you have my external gratitude (and guilt!)
No need to feel guilty mate - always happy to help out a friend.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #117
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Great - thanks for the info Wrothy, at least there's 2 international artist guests attending! Yeah, I couldn't see any mention of Brad's name so they might want to fix that!
It's very strange Royd. They announced him about 4 or more months ago on Facebook, then nothing. To my knowledge he has never again been mentioned on FB or on the site. I have been wondering if he is still coming.

Unusual way to promote a guest
Old 02-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #118
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
No need to feel guilty mate - always happy to help out a friend.
Still trying to find a way to pay you back suitably. Hmmmm maybe if I find a way to make it to Melbourne 'Nova....
Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #119
Woody

Just catching up on all the discussion guys, some amazing stuff going on here and the most active it's been for a while!

I'll add my two bobs worth on some of the topics, for what it's worth:
  • Getting commissions can be a frustrating and stressful process for sure. Every artist and every con seems to have different rules and methods, so the same technique rarely works twice. While I love the commissions I've gotten, I've been thinking lately about just continuing with the headshot jams and sketchbooks rather than the big pieces. They are usually much easier to get the harder artists to contribute to, a whole lot less time, money and work involved, and yet I still end up with a piece that I get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from. Money saved on the commissions can also go toward buying OA instead, which interests me more these days also. Recently OA seems to be offering more 'bang for your buck' than commissions, with artists's prices increasing so rapidly and in some cases becoming very disproportionate in terms of the finished piece and the price paid
  • Personally I'm still in awe of how quickly the whole convention scene has developed in the last few years here. So I'm really just stoked that we have so many opportunities to meet all these creators now, rather than being disappointed because some of them don't sketch. I guess I'd rather meet and get stuff signed by a creator whose work I have enjoyed, in comparison with getting a guaranteed sketch from someone I'm not real familiar with, or a fan of.
  • As far as the best con experience goes, for me I have to go with Supanova by far. In Adelaide, OzCC has tended to have only one international artist (Freddie Williams first year and Matthew Clark last year). While both those guys were awesome, Supanova has consistently presented at least 3 or 4 international guests. I also love that Supanova gets a range of guests from current fan faves (Jim Cheung) to all-time legends (Dave Gibbons) to classic veterans (Alex Saviuk). While guys like Alex may not be the hugest names, the pleasure I get from interacting with guys whose art I grew up on is immense. Aside from when Rocket organises the guests for OzCC (like last year's Melbourne convention that I unfortunately couldn't get to), I think OzCC just doesn't have the same understanding of which internationals to invite that someone like Royd does. No offence to the IDW 'My Little Pony' Editor coming to Adelaide for OzCC.......
Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #120
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens91 View Post
You miss understood me, I never said I missed a "few" artist, I was referring to last Supanova in Sydney. Just surprised that "trade passes" were allowed first preference. Pissed off I waited a long time like the rest of the others that missed out. Feels like I was experiencing US waiting in line again to miss out. Just feel like whinging, Sorry.

Most of my commissions were on-line, I had to email them and got it sent through post. Apart from Australia artist which I always support and always get something from them, Most were pre convention pieces except for Frank Cho, David Finch and and quick sketches from George Perez.
Last Sydney supanova you mean brooks in particular?

I'd love to see your caf gallery do you have a link?
Do you have a go to character or theme for sketches you collect?

Which cons are you doing this year in Oz?
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote