Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Customs Corner

Old 04-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #31
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
Nice work Bib.... I might be wrong, but the mouth may be a bit small on Wolvie, but it could be the wide nose that is throwing me.. In the end though your traditional work is far better than mine.
Yeah it could be a bit small. But the nose is 100% definitely too wide (for my liking anyway) so I'll change that and see how it looks.

But I wouldn't say my work is better, seriously, your hulk head, for me is spot on. Everyone has their own taste when it comes to how they want the top characters to look i.e. batman, spidey, hulk etc but I do particularly like yours over virtually all the others I've seen. If XM's Hulk had had a face sculpt more akin to yours I'd probably have seriously considered buying it.

I wish I had time to learn zbrush but I have too much on my plate at the mo. Maybe I'll set myself a challenge to try it by year end. Out of interest did you get a trial copy first to try it and then go from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
beautiful stuff bob, one of these days im going to have to break down and take a sculpting class so I can learn how to work with other materials
thanks mate. Yep defo you should. From what I've seen of your work I reckon you'll have the skills to crank out some cool stuff!
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #32
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfrog View Post
Yeah it could be a bit small. But the nose is 100% definitely too wide (for my liking anyway) so I'll change that and see how it looks.

But I wouldn't say my work is better, seriously, your hulk head, for me is spot on. Everyone has their own taste when it comes to how they want the top characters to look i.e. batman, spidey, hulk etc but I do particularly like yours over virtually all the others I've seen. If XM's Hulk had had a face sculpt more akin to yours I'd probably have seriously considered buying it.
Well I am going to be submitting an entry into the XM Hulk competition... So you never know you might get to see an XM Hulk with a portrait by me... Oh and a whole body...lol.

Quote:
I wish I had time to learn zbrush but I have too much on my plate at the mo. Maybe I'll set myself a challenge to try it by year end. Out of interest did you get a trial copy first to try it and then go from there?
Pixologic has a few different sculpting programs. Sculptris is one you can tool around with for free, which I did for a while. Then I found a copy of ZBrush cheaply on Kijiji. I would recommend getting a tablet and just immersing your self in the program. It takes time and can be frustration as all heck to start, but it really pays off in the end.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #33
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.

Ok, wolvie has been updated slightly and looks a bit better already methinks. Still needs some tweaking to make him look a bit nastier + ear pieces need sorting.

And here's a start on Thor. I liked that cocked head in the early Tony wip pieces so I went with something along those lines. Gonna be doing a slightly more modernised helmet + with a visor option if I can get it to work ok.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #34
Bobfrog

Some update on Thor...Gone with a slightly more modern helmet (still work in progress of course). I love Esad Ribic's art / design of Thor so that has heavily influenced my decision. I may do some alternate wings though and might potentially make another cast of the head that I can tweak the helmet design so it covers part of his cheek more.

btw dreadlock look is obviously not what I'm going for, it was just to give the effect of some hair. I'm gonna have his hair blowing in the same direction as the cape.

I think the only things I'm considering going back and changing (if I transfer this to wax or some other medium) would be the size of the eyes + the cheeks.

thoughts welcome!

Cheers
Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #35
ambasah
Red Skull

I am already in love with that thor head. Any chance you could do two?
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:49 AM   #36
Bobfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
I am already in love with that thor head. Any chance you could do two?
Glad you like it mate. And yep, feel free to drop me a PM re the head
Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #37
Bobfrog

quick update before I head to bed...

Old 05-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #38
lewisnfro86
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Looking good!
lewisnfro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #39
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
quick update before I head to bed...

Looking great dude... Any chance you could get a shot of this head on. That last photo makes it look like the head is a little big.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:39 AM   #40
Bobfrog

Here ya go mate.

I agree, that last shot definitely makes it looks oversized. I'll get a shot of it next to the original head tonight. If anything I was thinking my one was a wee bit smaller. As with most statues it all depends on the angle I think!