Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #591
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I would love to see this new PF put next to the old one, as a prime example of how far this hobby has come in the last several years.

Paint chipping aside, that's not a knock on the old one. It was good for its time. But this is a different stratosphere. I'm talking proto next to proto.

It's why the "OG" obsession makes me giggle. Pieces are getting objectively better because of the tech involved, and this is from someone who has tons of old pieces. Everyone is entitled to their preferences of course, but to me there's just no comparison anymore.
I agree to an extent and the technical sculpting and realism have certainly come a long way but I sometimes question how much I like realism when the subjects are animated. Sometimes the realistic style misses for me because it’s not the way I picture them looking. I still think there is something to be said for a stylized approach. That said a good piece is a good piece and presence and drama are what appeal to me most.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #592
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I agree to an extent and the technical sculpting and realism have certainly come a long way but I sometimes question how much I like realism when the subjects are animated. Sometimes the realistic style misses for me because it’s not the way I picture them looking. I still think there is something to be said for a stylized approach. That said a good piece is a good piece and presence and drama are what appeal to me most.
It's not realism for me so much as just detail. I can't articulate it very well because I'm not an artist nor do I know the tech. Like the Fairytale JSC pieces or the new Animated DC maquettes. Even the stylized pieces are being realized with quality and an accuracy that just wasn't possible a few years ago.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #593
pdenham
Teen Titans

I wonder how much of that is attributable to the prevalence of z brush over traditional physical sculpting now? I'd guess quite a bit.

The precision and consistency which comes with laying a texture map digitally versus having to repeat a pattern by hand on a physical form for instance.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #594
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
It's not realism for me so much as just detail. I can't articulate it very well because I'm not an artist nor do I know the tech. Like the Fairytale JSC pieces or the new Animated DC maquettes. Even the stylized pieces are being realized with quality and an accuracy that just wasn't possible a few years ago.
Ah yes understood. I think that’s especially noticeable in the textures and intricacies of the pieces today. This technological is really moving at a fast rate.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #595
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I wonder how much of that is attributable to the prevalence of z brush over traditional physical sculpting now? I'd guess quite a bit.

The precision and consistency which comes with laying a texture map digitally versus having to repeat a pattern by hand on a physical form for instance.
That's very likely it.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #596
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Agree with COI. The obsession with the so called grails is hilarious to me. Yes, some of those pieces still hold up, but the way new pieces are produced (given good QC) is noticeably superior. It often makes for better statues. Those "grail glasses" are sometimes on too tight on some people.

Also the use of fabric back then just for the sake of using it also hurts a lot of the older pieces.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #597
adee
Green Arrow

Can't over look numbers in a collectibles hobby though. Some of the older stuff is sought after just because they’re scarce.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #598
iceprince_x
Deadman

She will be great next to Dark Phoenix.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #599
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #600
demonhunter