Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #31
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Some Weta pieces are really good like Gollum etc but on a whole most look too toyish and small for me personally...If you spent a fortune on buying the Weta and now something better comes along I'm sure it annoys anyone who paid aftermarket prices ...I have seen this with SS alien and Pred pieces which are no longer the best...There are always better new pieces coming out with better printing technology.
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #32
DarkShadow
Frackin!

You try buying all the characters in LOTR in Prime 1 size, you'd need a hangar.
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #33
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yeah true i don't think i'd want all the characters personally myself so it's not a issue for me ...I prefer stand out pieces that draw attention and easily recognized A list characters and Monsters...I don't mean to upset fans of Weta it's the old argument between 1:6 and 1:3 scale I find small statues to be toy like and sometimes lacking detail ...If you like Weta more power to you enjoy them but for me I like bigger more detailed statues.
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:45 AM   #34
nameivom
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Yeah true i don't think i'd want all the characters personally myself so it's not a issue for me ...I prefer stand out pieces that draw attention and easily recognized A list characters and Monsters...I don't mean to upset fans of Weta it's the old argument between 1:6 and 1:3 scale I find small statues to be toy like and sometimes lacking detail ...If you like Weta more power to you enjoy them but for me I like bigger more detailed statues.
The LOTR Prime 1 statues are 1/4 scale not 1/3.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:58 AM   #35
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Aragorn looks amazing! That said I’m probably going to be the lone voice of dissent here by saying I’m not a fan of the base. It’s not that it doesn’t look cool, it’s just WAY too overpowering. Just my opinion but a base should never overshadow the piece it’s supporting.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:59 AM   #36
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Boston_83 View Post
They're not better, they're just fancier, they're over-elaborate. Weta are more refined and classy.
And that's such a load of nonsense about being crushed in the aftermarket! The only thing dated is your knowledge apparently. Isildur, Treebeard, Mouth of Sauron, Aragorn, Galadriel, Minas Morgul... the most recent statues have sold out in pre-order and their value has appreciated vastly on the second hand market.
Many companies have dipped their hand into middle-earth and everyone at the time said much the same: Better than Weta, Weta are dead'...I've heard all this before, but here they are in 2020 having started in 2001.
I love the base and honestly that’s the one thing I’ve always disliked about the original Weta pieces, that being their plain bases.

It’s again why I never got into PCS’s pieces at the same time.

But then I’ve always liked diorama like bases. When I first stated collecting 7 odd years ago, nearly everyone hated so called busy bases, but I think the line has slowly been moving for a lot of collectors, as more and more manufacturers make their displays more intricate and elaborate.

But as towards value, as much as I love Prime 1 pieces (21 pieces and counting plus a further dozen or so busts etc) they rarely ever retain their value. But at the moment that’s not a major concern for me, as I’ve got 200 plus Collectables and I have yet to sell anything....yet.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #37
Jon_Boston_83
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
I haven't heard any LOTR collector about selling Weta for Prime 1. Most LOTR collectors either stick with Weta, as they have no room or need for the Prime 1 statues, or they add Prime 1 statues to their collection as an addition to Weta, kind of like centerpieces.

I think Prime 1 is more for the regular statue collector that wants to have 1 or 2 LOTR pieces in their collection.
I would absolutely agree with this, it seems the people most beating their chest about Prime1 want something large but don't want too many characters, as they collect a lot of different lines. I think if LOTR is your main or only line, you're more likely to buy Weta as they've covered practically every character, creature and environment, and at 1/6 scale you can fit a lot more into your collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
As someone who has an extensive 1/6 collection of Weta, I have to disagree with you... the detail is top notch and none of my statues give me the impression of being toy like, while a lot of Prime1 statues do given their elaborate poses. The Weta statues are made by film artists with the highest degree of attention to detail. Certainly as time goes on and processes evolve, the detail gets better, but for me a 1/6 statue has just as much detail as a larger statue, but on the larger piece it is exaggerated or even has some elements added to bulk the piece out, and then it is not faithful to the actual character it is supposed to represent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I love the base and honestly that’s the one thing I’ve always disliked about the original Weta pieces, that being their plain bases.

It’s again why I never got into PCS’s pieces at the same time.

But then I’ve always liked diorama like bases. When I first stated collecting 7 odd years ago, nearly everyone hated so called busy bases, but I think the line has slowly been moving for a lot of collectors, as more and more manufacturers make their displays more intricate and elaborate.

But as towards value, as much as I love Prime 1 pieces (21 pieces and counting plus a further dozen or so busts etc) they rarely ever retain their value. But at the moment that’s not a major concern for me, as I’ve got 200 plus Collectables and I have yet to sell anything....yet.
That's fair enough, some people like elaborate bases and some people prefer the more simplistic refined look. When Weta partnered with Sideshow originally the manager Richard Taylor said the idea was to do a simple, classic plain black base in order to be able to focus solely on the character. That has evolved over time and they have included a bit of detail and environment, bringing the viewer into the scene and the illusion that you're actually in Middle Earth. I think this becomes more apparent in the pieces where Weta have included some scenery. It's always very realistic scenery, as if they've actually grabbed the chunk of scenery the character is standing on, straight out of the scene, adding to the feel you're in the scene itself.
The contrast in style is really apparent here, when comparing the Lurtz bases from Weta and Prime.

Weta's scenic bases are solely focused on realism, whereas Prime tend to really jam pack as many elements as possible into each base, which is great value for money, and seems intended as a more extensive multi-element homage than an actual realistic scene itself.

Which brings us to Prime's trademark style, which is more a statement as a monument-style centrepiece sculpture, hugely impressive and demanding attention. Their bases seem to be an intentional feature, incorporated to be just as impressive as the statue itself.

So basically, Weta seem to be going for a more elegant "high art" feel, maybe to reflect the grace and characteristic English understatement apparent in Tolkien's works, whereas Prime's pieces tend to have that American Hollywood blockbuster "pull-out-all-the-stops/go-hard-or-go-home" feel, filled with a near-infinite amount of elements aimed to completely blow you away, and leave your jaw on the floor.

With their new Master Collection line, and their larger premium statues, Weta are starting to add more of a diorama feel and include more onto their bases, but again it is scene specific and more realistic, not adding things that shouldn't be there just for the sake of it.

So two completely different approaches, appealing to two completely different demographics of collector. Both should be celebrated and we should be happy that there is so much choice out there at the moment for Middle-Earth collectors!
Jon_Boston_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #38
Luminous
Cyclops

I'll never understand why one set of collectors feel like they need to look down on another set of collectors. Nor will I understand the need to lurk and post in an area where one clearly has no interest.

We get it. "Weta rulez and Prime 1 droolz". Whatever. Let those who are looking forward to Prime 1's offering enjoy these announcements and reveals. No one is forcing you to be here.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #39
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Not counting the new large scale Weta pieces the likenesses are horrible. Sideshows haven’t aged well either. If I’m plunking that type of money down with the company that is the end all be all for the LOTR license detailed faces should not be a problem. They all look stoned or months old jack o lanterns.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #40
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
Not counting the new large scale Weta pieces the likenesses are horrible. Sideshows haven’t aged well either. If I’m plunking that type of money down with the company that is the end all be all for the LOTR license detailed faces should not be a problem. They all look stoned or months old jack o lanterns.
Unfortunately when it comes to actor likeness ‘all’ manufacturers have had issues maintaining quality over the years. Now let’s see how long Queen Studio’s maintains theirs as the new kid on the block.

Like Sideshow’s older movie related pieces more often than not look better than their newer ones, at least where facial likeness comes into play. And Prime 1 can be hit and miss all over the place.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote