Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #41
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Boston_83 View Post
I would absolutely agree with this, it seems the people most beating their chest about Prime1 want something large but don't want too many characters, as they collect a lot of different lines. I think if LOTR is your main or only line, you're more likely to buy Weta as they've covered practically every character, creature and environment, and at 1/6 scale you can fit a lot more into your collection.

As someone who has an extensive 1/6 collection of Weta, I have to disagree with you... the detail is top notch and none of my statues give me the impression of being toy like, while a lot of Prime1 statues do given their elaborate poses. The Weta statues are made by film artists with the highest degree of attention to detail. Certainly as time goes on and processes evolve, the detail gets better, but for me a 1/6 statue has just as much detail as a larger statue, but on the larger piece it is exaggerated or even has some elements added to bulk the piece out, and then it is not faithful to the actual character it is supposed to represent.

That's fair enough, some people like elaborate bases and some people prefer the more simplistic refined look. When Weta partnered with Sideshow originally the manager Richard Taylor said the idea was to do a simple, classic plain black base in order to be able to focus solely on the character. That has evolved over time and they have included a bit of detail and environment, bringing the viewer into the scene and the illusion that you're actually in Middle Earth. I think this becomes more apparent in the pieces where Weta have included some scenery. It's always very realistic scenery, as if they've actually grabbed the chunk of scenery the character is standing on, straight out of the scene, adding to the feel you're in the scene itself.
The contrast in style is really apparent here, when comparing the Lurtz bases from Weta and Prime.

Weta's scenic bases are solely focused on realism, whereas Prime tend to really jam pack as many elements as possible into each base, which is great value for money, and seems intended as a more extensive multi-element homage than an actual realistic scene itself.

Which brings us to Prime's trademark style, which is more a statement as a monument-style centrepiece sculpture, hugely impressive and demanding attention. Their bases seem to be an intentional feature, incorporated to be just as impressive as the statue itself.

So basically, Weta seem to be going for a more elegant "high art" feel, maybe to reflect the grace and characteristic English understatement apparent in Tolkien's works, whereas Prime's pieces tend to have that American Hollywood blockbuster "pull-out-all-the-stops/go-hard-or-go-home" feel, filled with a near-infinite amount of elements aimed to completely blow you away, and leave your jaw on the floor.

With their new Master Collection line, and their larger premium statues, Weta are starting to add more of a diorama feel and include more onto their bases, but again it is scene specific and more realistic, not adding things that shouldn't be there just for the sake of it.

So two completely different approaches, appealing to two completely different demographics of collector. Both should be celebrated and we should be happy that there is so much choice out there at the moment for Middle-Earth collectors!
I'm not sure it's collectors beating their chests as much as it's a Prime 1 studio thread for LOTR hence opinions on Prime 1 pieces lol...There is a area for Weta on here it's just not for me so i don't visit there ...For me Prime 1 makes premium collectibles if you have money and space to collect them ...I have the Sauron ex ordered and prob will order the Balrog too as to me it's pretty epic ...I also have life size pieces painted by movie artists e.g. Elite creature collectibles sculpts but I wouldn't put most of Weta art on that level except maybe the Gollum and a few other large pieces by them most is smaller collectibles for ppl on a smaller budget there ok just not for me personally...Whichever way enjoy what you collect.
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #42
#Brian
Shadowhawk

I am really excited for this line.

It has pained me for many years to have to pass up LOTR statues because I am not a fan of the WETA style and quality.

I like how Prime 1 is capturing the actual look and feel of the films.

My opinions about WETA line up with the observations written out in this article:

http://estelle-et-son-business.over-...he-result.html
#Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #43
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Brian View Post

It has pained me for many years to have to pass up LOTR statues because I am not a fan of the WETA style and quality.

My opinions about WETA line up with the observations written out in this article:

Exactly how i see these pieces too unfortunately...If they were all Gollum quality I'd have collected them too.
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:09 PM   #44
Kurtz
Fantastic Four

Quote:

Yup, that's pretty much how I feel about Weta right now. I had Thranduil too but sold it for all of those reasons. I haven't written Weta completely off yet but so far P1's offerings look really good. Maybe to good to pass on at least one of these.
Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:05 AM   #45
pau123
Sailor Moon

Newer technology will make better statues. We've seen this with almost all the more recent statues.
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:41 AM   #46
Shaughn54

I really like this piece too, but Im afraid P1 is going to price this around $1,200 based off of thier comments about how intricate the base is compared to a lot of their 1/3 line. I am buying Legolas regardless of price because I have been waiting for a 1/4 Legolas for so long and their tease makes him look epic. If Aragorn is under 1k then I may be able to get it.
Shaughn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #47
Mister H
Gen 13

Love how Aragorn turned out. Would love to see them do Boromir, Theoden and Eomer.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #48
DarkShadow
Frackin!

Quote:

Thranduil was pretty bad, mine came in damaged, so I got to choose between a refund or a replacement, went for the refund. Though, Thranduil is the exception, not the rule for Weta. I'm not sure it's fair to judge a manufacturer by its worst piece? We don't do that to Prime 1 either.
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #49
Jon_Boston_83
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
Thranduil was pretty bad, mine came in damaged, so I got to choose between a refund or a replacement, went for the refund. Though, Thranduil is the exception, not the rule for Weta. I'm not sure it's fair to judge a manufacturer by its worst piece? We don't do that to Prime 1 either.
Exactly, it's a real shame this poster has been put off by this bad example. What about Isildur? Merry and Pippin on Treebeard, Uruk-Hai swordsman, Mouth of Sauron on steed, Eomer on steed, Aragorn, etc etc etc.
Jon_Boston_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #50
#Brian
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Boston_83 View Post
Exactly, it's a real shame this poster has been put off by this bad example. What about Isildur? Merry and Pippin on Treebeard, Uruk-Hai swordsman, Mouth of Sauron on steed, Eomer on steed, Aragorn, etc etc etc.
Yes, they all remind me of "figurines". Not so much high end but kind of "soft" and representational in their look.

Something you would see The Franklin Mint produce. A bit like those resin Faerie and Dragons you see on the shelves of the new age store.

I only posted the above not because it was the worst example, but rather one of their most recent efforts.

I think the line is geared more toward the "quantity" approach, have smaller less detailed figurines but have lots of them grouped in a collection. It creates a wonderful impact and display. But if you have just one on its own, it falls a bit short IMO.

Probably the wrong thread to debate these two separate companies so Ill leave it at that, just my personal opinion.

Prime 1 Aragorn will be my first LOTR statue and I'm pretty excited.
#Brian is offline   Reply With Quote