Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #111
SashaMitchell
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimantium View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but don't all sculpts have to be approved by the licensor?
If so, the issues felt by people should be directed towards DC not Sideshow. How could we know what went down? Maybe this had round shoes at some point and DC said "change that"? maybe they went through 3 or 4 pairs of boots? In any event I think its cool. It is the second best DC statue from Sideshow in my opinion, second to Superman. To me they are iconic representations of the characters. I don't buy the Lobo Hype, Maybe because I don't care about the character or know about the character.
I think the sculpt is tight and skillful, better than any of us talentless consumers can do. The portrait and hair look incredible. I don't see the reason for the hate, to each their own though.
No question that it's a phenomenal statue, just that it could have been vastly improved with better shoes.

Great statues typically are supposed to be an ultimate personification of a character. Imagine the Superman premium format, which is a great statue, but with a pimple on his cheek. The statue would have been way better off without that pimple, right? It's the same thing with Green Lantern: the boots are a pimple on this otherwise great statue.
SashaMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #112
Atimantium
Hydra

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaMitchell View Post
No question that it's a phenomenal statue, just that it could have been vastly improved with better shoes.

Great statues typically are supposed to be an ultimate personification of a character. Imagine the Superman premium format, which is a great statue, but with a pimple on his cheek. The statue would have been way better off without that pimple, right? It's the same thing with Green Lantern: the boots are a pimple on this otherwise great statue.
I see your logic and I agree. maybe these aren't the ideal shoes you or I would select when putting on our fake imaginary Green Lantern suit. My point is maybe this is out of Sideshows hands? just like the middle finger switch-out for Lobo got denied by DC, perhaps DC denied rounded shoes? Very talented people sculpt these things and spend a lot of time trying to make people like us awesome collectibles. I bet its disheartening to see how some respond to their hard work. I know they are on here looking at everything people say about their work. I'm just trying to promote thoughtfulness.
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #113
Atimantium
Hydra

I am Glad you agree that its a Phenomenal statue though!
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #114
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino76m View Post
am sure this will be a pass for so many excited here, cos the ES will be like 10000..
I would buy it even if the ES was 25,000.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #115
adee
Green Arrow

Given the choice I'd prefer rounded toe shoes but it's of little significance to me.

Right now I'm weighing the positives and negatives of each GL piece. It's really close for me. The scale doesn't factor in my decision. Basically comes down to the pose vs light feature. I also like the portrait of the first a little more.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #116
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Given the choice I'd prefer rounded toe shoes but it's of little significance to me.
I agree, The shoes aren't a deal breaker for me. For me, this comes down to better scale and pose/body vs better portrait and vastly lower edition size. Since I have the light up hand in the box, it isn't a deal breaker for me either. I'm generally not a fan of light-up fixtures.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #117
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Definite pre-order for me even if I already have a great GL.

Will order as well, but still prefer mixed media, just need to see if he's in scale with the others.
But... WHERE is FLASH??
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #118
actionjackson83
Midnighter

I'll just resculpt and repaint the shoes with some Epoxy and gloss white! lol
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #119
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

I'm guessing that maybe the same sculptor did aquaman and gl and square feet are of his style, the way he sculpts boots.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #120
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Shoegate 2015 :

I've been off the sideshow bandwagon lately and usually I wouldn't hesitate to call them out on something they did wrong, but the whole shoe issue is just dumb guys.

Also they're boots, not shoes.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote