Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Mike Hill

Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #31
Vader
Ghost

How about an indy bust? I'm sure Sideshow will pick it up.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #32
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
How about your own version of Thor? Never quite liked the one that DF put out.

You know I didnt sculpt that one,right?
Mike Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #33
cyberpunk12
Shadowhawk

Speaking of those DF busts... I remember seeing them in pics as they were announced, thinking "WOW"... but out of my price range, and going on about my collecting business. But of late, I've become fascinated with picking up one or two of your sculpts because they're just ridiculously cool.

The Wolverine looks like a John Byrne drawing come to ferally-angered, beserker-raging life. How did you approach sculpting him? Did you have a likeness in mind or use any particular reference material? The more I see of it, the more I want one... you've got to be proud of the work you did on that series.

I saw the pics of the Hulk you have on your site and had to pick my jaw up off the floor.
cyberpunk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #34
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk12 View Post
Speaking of those DF busts... I remember seeing them in pics as they were announced, thinking "WOW"... but out of my price range, and going on about my collecting business. But of late, I've become fascinated with picking up one or two of your sculpts because they're just ridiculously cool.

The Wolverine looks like a John Byrne drawing come to ferally-angered, beserker-raging life. How did you approach sculpting him? Did you have a likeness in mind or use any particular reference material? The more I see of it, the more I want one... you've got to be proud of the work you did on that series.

I saw the pics of the Hulk you have on your site and had to pick my jaw up off the floor.
Yep the Wolverine was based off Byrne. I tried hard to give that kinda muzzle look around the mouth.

I liked doing the series. Cant understand why the folks who picked up the line didnt go with me.Oh well.

I'm doing a line of portrait busts,one offs that will be my own take on the characaters.Concentrating on the emotions of the piece rather than the fine details.They will be 1/3rd scale.A fine art interpretation.
Mike Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #35
jsoex
Justice League

Mike,

Do you have any in-progress pics of that life-size Venom bust that you did for Sideshow? That's the most amazing bust ever. It'd be cool to see that in the clay stages.

It's really cool that you have your own section for fans for you and your fans.
jsoex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #36
Sinema
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I've another question. Not related directly to your work, but to sculptors in general.

Are common "bases" available from a company...or are they just sculpted as well as the subject material?

I'm looking for around 20 bases for various statues, but I'd like them to all match (square, stepped, black), instead of the misc. ones they are on.

Is there a company that can provide these in various sizes.....or is this another piece that the sculptor must make?
Sinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #37
Vader
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post
You know I didnt sculpt that one,right?
Of course I know that. I'm an avid fan of yours.

I was waiting for your take on Thor for years. And then UD got someone else to do it. Needless to say I stopped collecting the line at that point.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #38
Vader
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post
Yep the Wolverine was based off Byrne. I tried hard to give that kinda muzzle look around the mouth.

I liked doing the series. Cant understand why the folks who picked up the line didnt go with me.Oh well.

I'm doing a line of portrait busts,one offs that will be my own take on the characaters.Concentrating on the emotions of the piece rather than the fine details.They will be 1/3rd scale.A fine art interpretation.
Those would be incredible. Marvel and DC? Or only marvel? Look forward to seeing them.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #39
Darth_Ryan
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

When I first heard of the UD life size AR busts I really thought Mike was going to do the line..it would've been a sure fire hit if it were. Now I think they stopped the line..the last one was Nightcrawler.
Darth_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #40
Vader
Ghost

They were terrible.