Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 04-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #141
Brian R.
The Riddler

Boy, the news just keeps getting better and better. I just checked Jusko's Twitter feed, and there will be no Fantastic 4 cards in the set, even though they were painted, due to the boycott on Fox's film properties. This includes Galactus, but not the Silver Surfer. Once again, we are getting screwed. Talk about a buzz kill. The article also said "You can expect a box to fetch at least $120", and a box won't get you even a third of a full base set. Wonderful.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #142
risingstar
Jedi Order

I imagine we'll see factory sets being offered at some point. I probably am not alone when I say that I'm way too old to chase after pack after pack to complete a set.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #143
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
Boy, the news just keeps getting better and better. I just checked Jusko's Twitter feed, and there will be no Fantastic 4 cards in the set, even though they were painted, due to the boycott on Fox's film properties. This includes Galactus, but not the Silver Surfer. Once again, we are getting screwed. Talk about a buzz kill. The article also said "You can expect a box to fetch at least $120", and a box won't get you even a third of a full base set. Wonderful.
But I bet they won't boycott the X-franchise. They know where the money lies
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #144
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:

Oh damn.. another Jusko Galactus would have been cool.. it would have really popped.. at least we get Apocalypse
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:56 AM   #145
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
..and thats assuming you don't get doubles.. for the amount it will cost to complete the set, maybe we're better off picking our favourite one and buying an original from Joe instead
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #146
risingstar
Jedi Order

Out of curiosity, what's the non-sport card market like these days?
It seems like it might cost between $300-$400 to get a full set.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #147
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
It's far, far worse than that. Each box has 12 packs, each of which has 3 cards. But only 1 card in each pack is a base set card. So really, you need to buy a case of 12 boxes to have any reasonable chance of getting a full base set.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #148
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the non-sport card market like these days?
It seems like it might cost between $300-$400 to get a full set.
I posted this on the 30 Years of Garbage [Pail Kids] facebook page to Gary Gerani, "King of Cards", who just did the Star Wars Galaxy book

Quote:
Just interested in your view of Non Sports trading cards these days, Gary. IMO it seems to be more about the chase cards than it is the Base set. I remember when chase cardswere foil prism, hologram, or etched cards, now, you get SETS of autographed card or sketches, memorabilia & people(hobby retailers) buy boxes just for these types of cards & sets come second. Am I wrong in thinking this is not right?
Quote:
I agree, Alex... The base set should be the cake, the chase cards the icing. But unfortunately, this hobby is driven by gimmick concepts that many fans and collectors seem to favor, and there's really not much we purists can do about it.
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #149
Brian R.
The Riddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
It's far, far worse than that. Each box has 12 packs, each of which has 3 cards. But only 1 card in each pack is a base set card. So really, you need to buy a case of 12 boxes to have any reasonable chance of getting a full base set.
So, in Canadian dollars, this set would cost thousands.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #150
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

My guess is a complete base set will be $1,000+

And then much more for the crazy rare inserts

Im so very dissapointed, wanted these for 24 years and then they do this

They released another set in this same ultra limited style called marvel premier a few years back, base cards were on really thick stock, each card was stamped showing which number it was since each base card was only printed a certain amount of times
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote