Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #21
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Odinson View Post
The seller has offered a 50 dollar partial refund. I paid $330 + $70 shipping. Is that a fair amount? He has said that he doesn't accept returns so I'm not sure he's aware that I am still able to return it, per eBay's policy.

Yes. Very fair IMO.

You have to remember, in addition to selling an uncommon piece off at a price that was very close to original retail, he also took a big hit with Ebay's commission fees. He didn't "make" money selling this to you. The damage also, from the looks of it, wasn't his fault.

So yeah, I was going to say $25 - $50 would have been the range I would have considered appropriate.

JMO.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #22
Thor Odinson
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
Thor Odinson, if it is a clean break you should be able to successfully glue it with a little Gorilla Glue (my go to), if you have to touch up any paints, I recommend you invest in some Tamiya paints. They work best on resin, look like the hat is like an ash gray matte. good luck
Is this what you use? "Gorilla 7700104 Super Glue Gel"

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Super...s%2C220&sr=8-5

I currently have on hand Loctite Super Glue Gel Control
Thor Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #23
pdenham
Teen Titans

You don't need to pay $7 for Gorilla Glue. Nothing against the GG, if that makes you more comfortable.

This is the basically the same stuff for less than half the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Super..._t3_B00OAAUAX8

The piece you are gluing is not a major, load bearing piece. you will just be using a tiny dab.

And if, in the future you did have a more major, load bearing piece, you would probably want to be extra safe and use a two-part epoxy (Gorilla makes those too).

The one thing you DO NOT want to buy is model glue which is made for styrene plastics.
Gorilla, or any Cyanoacrylate Adhesives (i.e. superglue) like the above, will work.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #24
Thor Odinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
You don't need to pay $7 for Gorilla Glue. Nothing against the GG, if that makes you more comfortable.

This is the basically the same stuff for less than half the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Super..._t3_B00OAAUAX8

The piece you are gluing is not a major, load bearing piece. you will just be using a tiny dab.

And if, in the future you did have a more major, load bearing piece, you would probably want to be extra safe and use a two-part epoxy (Gorilla makes those too).

The one thing you DO NOT want to buy is model glue which is made for styrene plastics.
Gorilla, or any Cyanoacrylate Adhesives (i.e. superglue) like the above, will work.
Awesome, I have that brand and type on hand already so I will go ahead with that!

So you would recommend just one or two dabs on the fattest parts of the broken hat and not just covering all exposed parts with the glue?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #25
grphyx1
Kingpin

Loctite is great too. For the small areas i use the tip of a toothpick to control the amount of glue. I put the glue on a glass top and dip the toothpick in it and apply that way
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #26
Hannibal10
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I've always used Loctite. But yes, in the future, always get insurance. I as a seller always put insurance on it automatically. It's like $5-10 to avoid this type of headache. Worth it.
Hannibal10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #27
nameivom
The Herculoids

Would like to clear up some misinformation on this thread. $70 shipping sounds like they shipped Priority Mail? If they shipped parcel you got screwed on the shipping price as priority would have been cheaper and included at least some insurance coverage. Priority Mail does come with up to $50-$100 insurance depending. If the seller wanted more insurance they would of had to pay for more insurance and really they should have. For an insurance claim the seller would have to place a claim through USPS but in order to do that the seller needs the item back and they have to hand the statue over to the originating post office. Your local post office won't be able to handle the insurance claim because it was not shipped from that location.

Personally if the seller is willing to give you a $50 partial I would accept it. You can find statue repairers on this forum that could fix that up for $20-$40 not including shipping costs. So the partial refund would at least cover the fix by a pro.

Also it does not matter what the seller states as far as returns go. Selling on eBay gives buyers the eBay buyer protection. You can open a return case (up to 30 days and now it is 90 days due to COVID) for item not as described and eBay will spit out a return label (paid by seller for not as described return cases) for you to return the item. The seller gets no say in this no matter what they have listed on the actual listing. If the brim of the hat break was not visible on the listing then it is not as described irregardless of how the break occurred. I sell on eBay all the time.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #28
Thor Odinson

Okay, I glued it back on. I tried my best but I don't think my best was that good. I know somebody recommended Tamiya paints for resin, which is basically polystone too? Is there any other paints that you guys would recommend so that I can repaint the hat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7759.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	132683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7760.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	132684  
Old 08-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #29
Thor Odinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameivom View Post
Would like to clear up some misinformation on this thread. $70 shipping sounds like they shipped Priority Mail? If they shipped parcel you got screwed on the shipping price as priority would have been cheaper and included at least some insurance coverage. Priority Mail does come with up to $50-$100 insurance depending. If the seller wanted more insurance they would of had to pay for more insurance and really they should have. For an insurance claim the seller would have to place a claim through USPS but in order to do that the seller needs the item back and they have to hand the statue over to the originating post office. Your local post office won't be able to handle the insurance claim because it was not shipped from that location.

Personally if the seller is willing to give you a $50 partial I would accept it. You can find statue repairers on this forum that could fix that up for $20-$40 not including shipping costs. So the partial refund would at least cover the fix by a pro.

Also it does not matter what the seller states as far as returns go. Selling on eBay gives buyers the eBay buyer protection. You can open a return case (up to 30 days and now it is 90 days due to COVID) for item not as described and eBay will spit out a return label (paid by seller for not as described return cases) for you to return the item. The seller gets no say in this no matter what they have listed on the actual listing. If the brim of the hat break was not visible on the listing then it is not as described irregardless of how the break occurred. I sell on eBay all the time.
Thanks for the feedback and advice. For the future I will keep in mind that I could get somebody else to fix my statues. Also, I checked the USPS tracking and all I can see is that it says "USPS Retail Ground".
Old 08-22-2020, 11:56 PM   #30
Star-struck
The Spirit

I don't even get the option to ship anything other than Priority right now on ebay. The fix isn't bad though, you had a pretty thin area to work with. And you got it flush which is the most important thing. I'd get one of those sponge looking brushes and dab some similar colored paint on the lines and throughout the rest of the hat to make it look even. The underside might be tricky though, I'd definitely mask off his face with some putty while I did that part.
Star-struck is offline   Reply With Quote