Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #41
traylorc
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Not feeling this in the least....
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:19 AM   #42
rrjrstatueman
The X-Men

Well I for one am willing to pay the price , why ? Because it's the scale I prefer is it the armor I like best ? No but does look cool . Do I qualify in one who doesn't know the armory , yes , why? Because not everyone knows the whole stories of characters unless you are a hardcore fan . Just as I'm a hardcore fan of Rick baker I'm Sure some would not know the diffrence between platinum silicone and tin silicone hell I saw all the underworld movies but did I know who was Marcus or a lycan , nope I just enjoyed the movies but don't remember all the names , not until ECC came out with the bust and maquette , I know I know but that's how things are , Statues are like paintings , they really are worth the price a collector is willing to pay . Just today the SS old hulks green and grey sold for over 2000 bucks ,each would I pay that much ? No because I'm not into them , if I was I would . And that is how I justify the price on anything I buy , if I like it and want it , and will be happy with it then it's worth it , to me , do I buy becuase eventually they may go up in price and make a profit or at least make my money back , no , I buy for my enjoyment , and that's it
rrjrstatueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #43
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjrstatueman View Post
Well I for one am willing to pay the price , why ? Because it's the scale I prefer is it the armor I like best ? No but does look cool . Do I qualify in one who doesn't know the armory , yes , why? Because not everyone knows the whole stories of characters unless you are a hardcore fan . Just as I'm a hardcore fan of Rick baker I'm Sure some would not know the diffrence between platinum silicone and tin silicone hell I saw all the underworld movies but did I know who was Marcus or a lycan , nope I just enjoyed the movies but don't remember all the names , not until ECC came out with the bust and maquette , I know I know but that's how things are , Statues are like paintings , they really are worth the price a collector is willing to pay . Just today the SS old hulks green and grey sold for over 2000 bucks ,each would I pay that much ? No because I'm not into them , if I was I would . And that is how I justify the price on anything I buy , if I like it and want it , and will be happy with it then it's worth it , to me , do I buy becuase eventually they may go up in price and make a profit or at least make my money back , no , I buy for my enjoyment , and that's it
raf, I don't think it's the choice of armour that's the problem I also quite like the mk43. At the beginning of the thread people were questioning it because they thought it was the mk42 that was getting done as the op said the wrong number.
The two major problems are the stance and the base. Firstly that pose is just such a poor choice for two reasons A) something very similar has already been done by sideshow, only their pose is better (and lets not forget legacy did that statue sideshow only manufactured it) and B) the pose is just so awkward, the body leaning forward is just wrong . Then looking at it side on look how in line the feet are that's such a weak stance! try it yourself and get someone to push you from the front you'll lose balance instantly. So with this statue as soon as he fired those repulsers he'd be on his arse! The feet should be minimum shoulder width apart to give a nice strong stance.
Second problem is that base, now it's a good looking base don't get me wrong. But it is almost a carbon copy of the iron studios one, not just 'similar' but a blatant copy and that is disgraceful coming from CM.
I know some think CM's just get bashed on here no matter what but that's untrue, credit is given where it's due (predator for example got nothing but praise) and a bad statue will get bashed no matter what company it is. It's better to have that attitude than just look at everything through rose tinted glasses forgiving blatant flaws otherwise companies just settle into mediocrity.
CM's have no excuse for mediocre design or quality doubly so because of their premium price tag. They could've produced something truly unique here which really stood out in the over saturated ironman market (and if they had of I would've definitely been a buyer) but instead they settled for mediocrity and most just expect better.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #44
rrjrstatueman
The X-Men

Yes diablo I hear you and you are correct , I guess only seeing it in person as maybe pictures can make it way different , as you know I do like cm due to the size or any other company that can make a 1/3 scale of a character that I like I will buy, and yes we must call it as it is but boy we as humans do see different things lol even if we are looking at the same thing Jajajaja but I too call it as it is as well as you have seen in my reviews in the past I love cm but heck I cut up superman as I didn't like the pose lol .
Old 02-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #45
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

I am glad you and others do like it raf like you say everyone sees things differently and that can only be a good thing
besides whilst cm is putting out these bad poses it gives more reason for you to modify them and put up those awesome conversion videos
Like you though my favourite scale is 1:3 and I'm REALLY looking forward to the endoskeleton chronicle and cm are making in collaboration. I've no doubt that will be perfect
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #46
rrjrstatueman
The X-Men

Yes tha 1/3 endo from chronicles , wow what a surprise
Old 02-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #47
Phil the sixth
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
I know some think CM's just get bashed on here no matter what but that's untrue, credit is given where it's due (predator for example got nothing but praise) and a bad statue will get bashed no matter what company it is. It's better to have that attitude than just look at everything through rose tinted glasses forgiving blatant flaws otherwise companies just settle into mediocrity.
CM's have no excuse for mediocre design or quality doubly so because of their premium price tag. They could've produced something truly unique here which really stood out in the over saturated ironman market (and if they have of I would've definitely been a buyer) but instead they settled for mediocrity and most just expect better.
Well said Diablo! (and a good analyse of the IM pose)
At $2000 every aspect has to come together in one perfect depiction of the character.
And I know Cinemaquette can do much better than this but then there has to be proper (art) direction and a tight monitoring of the whole process...IMHO I do believe that complete artistic freedom to sculpt a movie icon is not a good thing unless you are an expert in the matter.
One can be an impressive sculptor of creatures and monsters but will lack in sculpting human characters and vice versa.Every artist has his talent and it's crucial to have the right artist for a specific character.
Phil the sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #48
traylorc
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

As El Mule stated...the Iron Man market is over saturated. That means manufacturers have to do something to distinguish themselves from the competitors.

To be honest, scale is one of the ways CM differentiates themselves. But IMHO...that's not enough when you are dealing with an over saturated Iron Man market. I want to see a cool pose, I want a base that looks like it took more than five minutes to design, and I would prefer a better looking armor (Mark III, Mark VI, or Mark VII).
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #49
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylorc View Post
As El Mule stated...the Iron Man market is over saturated. That means manufacturers have to do something to distinguish themselves from the competitors.

To be honest, scale is one of the ways CM differentiates themselves. But IMHO...that's not enough when you are dealing with an over saturated Iron Man market. I want to see a cool pose, I want a base that looks like it took more than five minutes to design, and I would prefer a better looking armor (Mark III, Mark VI, or Mark VII).
Those are so many of the reasons I have a hard time loving IM product. The character just does not lend himself to a multitude of cool and dynamic poses and being a mechanical character, there is typically zero room for artistic interpretation.

IM has been done, and done very well, but done to death. Once you get past the "repulsor blast" and "ground punch" poses however there is only so much an artist can do with Mr. Stark.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #50
azurepred
Zot

something similar to Markus and the Wolf Pred could've been cool with Ultron or some drone underneath.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote