Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-23-2017, 12:46 AM   #441
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
iZombie Volume 1: "Dead to the world" - by Chris Roberson and Michael Alldred - 7/10
- Collects DC Comic Vertigo issues 1-5

The CW TV show is based on this comics series. However, the setting, origin, general theme and tone for the comics is quite different than the one set on the TV show. It was an interesting read, sometimes fun, but not captivating enough to compel me to quickly look up volume two. Perhaps at some later date, if I run out of new books to read, I might follow-up.

I loved this series, have the statue & the omnibus is great value IMO
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #442
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 25 TPB Only 2 more trades left to finish this epic adventure. The art and writing both are solid.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 Phantom Blood vol. 1 and 2 HC Jojos were not a bad start. The art was kind of dated but not that bad and the action was very over the top at some panels. The story was easy to follow, simple and abit naive. There was some unexpacted gore, i wouldn't expect such a level of gore from a shounen.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #443
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 Phantom Blood vol. 3 HC 7/10

And this was it. I read all of the part 1 of Jojo. It was fun, the story went on to be naive in this volume too but i started to read Jojo because i heard that the manga will be very good in the future parts, aspecially starting with Part 3: Stardust Crusaders. But the part 1 was not bad for sure, if you can look over some naive parts of the story, they were some unintentinaly funny parts for me too anyway. I enjoyed that naive parts, aspecially Dio and Jonathan's fall from empty space between the stairs of the mansion in vol. 2, it took like half an hour for them to fall from such a short hight... xD

FCBD Special Dragon Ball Super / Boruto Previews

Super Saiyan God form sounds like the ultimate bad ass form to me. I ordered The volume one of Dragon Ball Super and can't wait for it to arrive so i can see the rest.

Boruto was nice too, it had all the charm of The Naruto. If i ever go on to Naruto from where i left off and finish it, i will definetly pick up Boruto.

FCBD Special Street Fighter V Wrestling Special

Dan Hibiki... xD the first mini where Dan won by losing was awesome. Finally poor Dan made it in life by losing again... XD

Zangief vs Hagar pro wrestling match at the 80s was just too good... xD The president of Russia came to ring to help Zangief against Hagar and hagar was losing againt them, then The President of the US came to ring to help Hagar against The President of Russia and Zangief and 4 of them wresteled and finaly US team won... xD What was perfect was afterwards of it. The president of Russia made Zangief wrestle with grizzly bears when they went back to Russia to make Zangief stronger. There was this panel where Zangief piledrive a grizzly bear... xD that was perfect, so priceless. xD
Old 06-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #444
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I just read the "Origin of the Hobgoblin" tpb. This book collects all the stories including the first appearances of the "real Hobgoblin" secret identity, the first appearances of the Hobgoblin himself up to his death/disappearance in the river.

The mystery of the Hobgoblin's true identity must have been a fascinating read at the time. I still found this book very interesting, even knowing the true identity, because you could see the breadcrumbs laid down by the writer. Hobgoblin is a great villain, so I definitely recommend this book if you have not read it before.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #445
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Fade Out Volume 2 - by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips - 7.5/10
- Collects Image Comics issues 5-8

Set in 1948 Hollywood. A murder mystery. Part II. The picture gets much bigger in this one. I admit, it was starting to become a challenge keeping track of everyone in the story. And, I found myself feeling that "let's get on with it" feeling. Still, an enjoyable read. Looking forward to the big finish. I wonder if I'll be surprised.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 AM   #446
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
I just read the "Origin of the Hobgoblin" tpb. This book collects all the stories including the first appearances of the "real Hobgoblin" secret identity, the first appearances of the Hobgoblin himself up to his death/disappearance in the river.

The mystery of the Hobgoblin's true identity must have been a fascinating read at the time. I still found this book very interesting, even knowing the true identity, because you could see the breadcrumbs laid down by the writer. Hobgoblin is a great villain, so I definitely recommend this book if you have not read it before.
Totally agree on both counts. This was facinating to read when it first was coming out, and packaged as a trade it's still great. Super villain shrouded in a mystery. Roger Stern writing at his best.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #447
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 26-27 TPB 9/10

And i finally finished it. What an amazing manga it was, i feel happy and kind of sad at the same time for finishing Fullmetal...

I liked all the characters but i don't have a particular favorite, may be Mustang for being the manly man and mini skirts ! lol The plot build up nicely, at the begining kind of wandered around with 2 mini stories that Ed and Al saved a little town from the rule of an evil priest and couldn't save a poor little girl who was turned in to a chimera by his messed up alchemist father... (That was dark, Fullmetal can be dark for a shounen at some parts like the chimera little girl and ishbalan genoside. ) and went on from there to big picture (the father of all homunculus's schemes and big evil plan) in a linear way. It was a nice ride.

Fullmetal had some classic shounen elements like never give up and importance of relying on good friends who love you and you love them back. Frinedship is magic ! in short lol you can find these in every shounen... And i was even rolling my eyes to them, even when i was a little kid... lol

I really like the consept of Alchemy, the equvelant exchange and how you create all kinds of things by it (except living beings) the transmutation circle desings were all very cool, i really liked them. The character desings were simple but very disctingtive. Fullmetal Alchemist is a true manga classic up there with The king of all things shounen Dragon Ball for me. Really well done.

Farewell fullmetal...
Old 06-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #448
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Fade Out Volume 3 - by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips - 7/10
- Collects Image Comics issues 9-12

Set in 1948 Hollywood. A murder mystery. Part III. Great start to this storyline in Volume 1 but I think it then got too clever for its own good and became unraveled at the end to the point where you didn't care all that much about what happened to whom and why. This title would have been better served, I think, as a 6 issue mini series. Still, nice artwork, refreshing mature level writing, and better overall than most of the stuff coming out of Marvel and DC.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #449
Babytoxie
Ghost

The Graveyard Book, vols. 1 & 2 - Adapted by P. Craig Russell from Neil Gaiman's novel, with art by Russell and a host of other top-notch talents. I'm not a fan of Gaiman's prose, but I love his comics, as well as adaptations of his work. The Graveyard Book tells the story of Nobody Owens, a young boy who, for his own protection, is adopted by the spirits and other inhabitants of a graveyard. It's told more as a collection of linked stories, with each illustrated by a different artist, including Tony Harris, Scott Hampton, Jill Thompson, et al. The story is driven by a murder mystery involving a secret society, but it's also about growing up and becoming your own person.

I enjoyed it, and it actually left me wanting to read the original novel. The only complaint I have is that the cover of the second volume gives away the conclusion of the main plot.

Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #450
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 2: Battle Tendency HC vol. 1 7/10

Part 1 took place in late 19th centuary England around the joestar family with Jonathan Joestar (the first Jojo) as the lead.

Part 2 takes place in the early 20th centuray America at World War II times with Nazis and eveything.
We have the grandson of Jonathan Joestar, Joseph Joestar (the second Jojo) as the lead.

As far as looks goes Jonathan and Joseph look excatly the same but personalty wise where Jonathan was nobel gentleman, Joseph is kind of a smart hot head... lol he has some anger issues but he can guess what people will say in stuations even before they say it... Pretty smart, kind of as smart as a sharp detective and Joseph was never trained in the way of Hamon power unlike Jonathan but he can use Hamon power since birth. Joseph is a Pretty talented young man and he also reads comics.

The first book opened with Santviento The Pillar Man. Speedwagon (a joestar family friend) and some hamon users found The Pillar Man in a cave in South America near antiant ruins. A man merged in to a pillar, and many stone masks hanged on the pillar around him, Santviento The Pillar Man. It's said that Santviento created the stone masks. One of the hamon users, an old frined of Speedwagon and Joestars betrayed the team and killed everyone in the cave with him except Speedwagon, only left him heavly injured and used one of the stone masks to turn himself into a vampire. Later on went to USA to kill Jojo cause he could be a problem, if left alone but couldn't achive it and died in the process. Nazis saved injured Speedwagon and stole the Pillar Man in the cave and brought them in their secret base and made Speedwagon talk, and they made some experiments on the pillar man and awekened him. Jojo came to South America to save Speedwagon after learning that he was alive and in trouble, got into the secret base. Awekened Pillar Man almost killed everyone but Jojo and some Nazi commander used Sun to destory The Pillar Man. The Sun is the only weakness of The Pillar Men, they turn in to stones when they exposed to too much Sun light. There are more than one Pillar Man. The Nazi commender told that they found other Pillar Men in Europe. Jojo saved Speedwagon and then went to Italy to learn about the Pillar Men, Stop Nazis and find an ally. And that ally was none other than one of Mr. Zepelli's descendants !

Rosario+Vampire TPB vol. 9-10 7/10

It was fun with the monster of the month kind of story telling and some ecchi pantsu flashing lol I started the book because i'm interested almost all things Vampire. It's a Ecchi Harem book, my first ecchi harem book btw. I don't usely read pervy stuff like those but Monsters, Vampire etc pulled me in and i'm glad they did, it was really fun.