Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #21
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
It's funny, I don't really see the religious parts of his writing. Though his Ghost Rider gets into an apocolyptic storyline so it may not be so thinly veiled, as you note. I don't really see the religious elements to his work on Thor (beyond the pagan pantheons that always have been part of the Thor comic), Dr. Strange and Weapon X.

I actually felt religion was the cornerstone of his God Butcher storytline, i.e., feeling betrayed by God (Gods in general, actually) and then embarking on a mission and philosophy to rid the universe of all gods and religion.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I actually felt religion was the cornerstone of his God Butcher storytline, i.e., feeling betrayed by God (Gods in general, actually) and then embarking on a mission and philosophy to rid the universe of all gods and religion.
I didn't think it was about religion, but eliminating false gods who capriciously abandoned their followers. These gods, in this case, felt like the pantheistic characters that have lived in the Thor run going back to when Stan and Jack first introduced Asgard and Olympus, so I see them more as superpowered lower case gods/characters, though they have worshippers, rather than these stories more broadly about religion.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #23
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Hickman's Fantastic 4 runs was one of my favorites
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #24
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
I didn't think it was about religion, but eliminating false gods who capriciously abandoned their followers. These gods, in this case, felt like the pantheistic characters that have lived in the Thor run going back to when Stan and Jack first introduced Asgard and Olympus, so I see them more as superpowered lower case gods/characters, though they have worshippers, rather than these stories more broadly about religion.
Therein lies the debate. Is there another type of god?

Also, I didn't get the sense that Aaron had any intention of writing in the same harmless escapist vein as Stan and Jack. Aaron's writing style, I think, has far too much maturity, passion, anger, and intentional realism to it to allow for such passive readership. His God Butcher storyline served, I thought, as a compelling narrative of our present climate. I actually believe we, as a global people, are closer than we have ever been to finally abandoning religion and faith in the supernatural as it appears to have outlived its purpose in structuring thinking. There's simply too much diversity in lifestyles now. What I liked about the God Butcher storyline was the underlying message to embrace independence of the supernatural and to be responsible for our own happiness.

All this to say, again, his work on Thor was fabulous. His other work, in its own way, seemed to attempt to convey a similar cynical message about faith, however, he clearly improved upon his delivery of that message with Thor.

JMO
Old 06-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

RS, you're reading far more into Aaron's stories and writing than I am. I look at comics as escapist fun, while still expecting high quality stories, scripting and art for my money. I don't read any theological dictum into the fantasy he creates, nor see any underlying theological message. But, that's just the way I read comic books.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
RS, you're reading far more into Aaron's stories and writing than I am. I look at comics as escapist fun, while still expecting high quality stories, scripting and art for my money. I don't read any theological dictum into the fantasy he creates, nor see any underlying theological message. But, that's just the way I read comic books.
That's the way I typically read comics too (i.e., as escapist fun). However, Aaron's Thor read differently, at least to me. I hope he one day comes up to Montreal for a convention. I'd love to chat with him.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
That's the way I typically read comics too (i.e., as escapist fun). However, Aaron's Thor read differently, at least to me. I hope he one day comes up to Montreal for a convention. I'd love to chat with him.

He's a great guy. Very pleasant and soft spoken. We lived in KC, where he and his wife live, for 14 years and his wife and mine, both being in the arts community, became good friends. It was through them that I got to meet and to know him.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #28
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
So true. But he could also write very human tales too. I recall one issue where Reed talked a despondent business man & father off the edge of a building where he intended to jump. I've never read a FF story like that one & still really remember it.
I remember that one. He promised he would be with him when he died and gave him his number. Remember he gave him a telepathic earpiece so he could talk to him, and he saw his experiences of dying.

It reminded me of the JMS Superman issue when he talked to the girl who was suicidal, don't know if you've read it but I'll post the Imgur link:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ijdxh

Both of these issues are great, and show that with the right writer (what terrible alliteration) superheroes become something much more meaningful.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #29
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I remember that one. He promised he would be with him when he died and gave him his number. Remember he gave him a telepathic earpiece so he could talk to him, and he saw his experiences of dying.

It reminded me of the JMS Superman issue when he talked to the girl who was suicidal, don't know if you've read it but I'll post the Imgur link:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ijdxh

Both of these issues are great, and show that with the right writer (what terrible alliteration) superheroes become something much more meaningful.
I remember that story. Wonderful. I think it was by JMS and Eddie Barrows, the "Grounded" arc. You're so right about how both Superman and the FF can be wonderful with the correct writer. I think I even made this point earlier in this thread.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #30
protector2814
Phoenix

Wow, RichBamf, I had not seen that before. Thanks. That really does remind me of the FF issue we were talking about. I wish Marvel would publish the MK FF as an Omni. I have the full run but would love a book.

Here's a few pages what you/we were talking about -

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote