Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 12-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #361
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I took my cape version apart last night. I had to heat it again to get it apart. It looks like the stance has expanded slightly but not back to where it was. Her left ankle is clearly bent now from heating it to get it together and then it attempted to expand again while in the base and bent the ankle inward.

I also tried putting the cape torso into the skirt legs and it was a no go. I would have been happy to just display that combo and just box up the rest. I would have to do modifications to get the cape to work with the skirt. So no matter what, modifications will need to be done to safely display the cape torso.

At this point I am on the fence about initiating a return. Would be the first of over 20 THs I own. The paint apps on mine are amazing. Some of the best I have ever seen. So I am asking myself if I want to continue messing with it and risk breakage or just send it back and be done with it.
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #362
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I took my cape version apart last night. I had to heat it again to get it apart. It looks like the stance has expanded slightly but not back to where it was. Her left ankle is clearly bent now from heating it to get it together and then it attempted to expand again while in the base and bent the ankle inward.

I also tried putting the cape torso into the skirt legs and it was a no go. I would have been happy to just display that combo and just box up the rest. I would have to do modifications to get the cape to work with the skirt. So no matter what, modifications will need to be done to safely display the cape torso.

At this point I am on the fence about initiating a return. Would be the first of over 20 THs I own. The paint apps on mine are amazing. Some of the best I have ever seen. So I am asking myself if I want to continue messing with it and risk breakage or just send it back and be done with it.

I know nobody wants to hear this but if it were me I'd be looking at cutting off the peg, or drilling new holes, and basically removing any material in the torso or legs to get it to fit. Now that's not easy for many to do on their own, because it's basically model building skills and may require a dremel.

A dremel can destroy in a fraction of second in the wrong hands.

Not the first time I have had to wrestle with statues and all manufacturers sooner or later send me something that needs extra "love".

If someone isn't comfortable doing the mods they might seek out someone that does have the skills.

Returning stuff is so painful I tend to lean on fixing things if possible.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #363
barkydoo
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I sent pictures of the issue the day I received them, and have yet to hear back. I've seen quite a few that have the same bow in the ankle like I have since I had to heat it and force it.
I received mine pretty much immediately after it was announced they shipped. My skirt had some guoges/scratches so I contacted TH. After about a week of not hearing back I posted a message on the TH Fan FB page casually asking how long does it take to hear back and Chad responded to email him directly. After I did that a replacement pair of legs arrived several days later, but without any response. I only knew they were coming because UPS notified me of the shipment.

I was also slightly 'confused' as to how they could simply send a replacement set of legs as I was under the impression a big part of the delay had to do with the factory puzzle piecing legs and torsos to match. My replacement skirt had no problems matching up with the torso so maybe I mis-read and am wrong.

I would suggest that once your statues are pieced together, if you need to disassemble them do it with extreme and extraordinary care. When I removed the caped torso from the skirted legs, it caused a scratch on the cape. There is virtually no clearance between the skirt and the inside of the cape once together. Thankfully it's unnoticeable when together (though still ----ty that fixing one problem created another especially considering how cautious I was).

I also had the same issue with getting the legs onto the base with both pair of skirted legs and the non-skirt version. Does anyone have a photo of the 'bow-legged' issue? I'd be curious to see the difference. Also, I have not been able to get any of the three sets of legs to settle completely into the base. At this point 've gotten the legs into the base as much as I comfortably feel I can without risking major damage.
barkydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #364
Tempest
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkydoo View Post
I received mine pretty much immediately after it was announced they shipped. My skirt had some guoges/scratches so I contacted TH. After about a week of not hearing back I posted a message on the TH Fan FB page casually asking how long does it take to hear back and Chad responded to email him directly. After I did that a replacement pair of legs arrived several days later, but without any response. I only knew they were coming because UPS notified me of the shipment.

I was also slightly 'confused' as to how they could simply send a replacement set of legs as I was under the impression a big part of the delay had to do with the factory puzzle piecing legs and torsos to match. My replacement skirt had no problems matching up with the torso so maybe I mis-read and am wrong.

I would suggest that once your statues are pieced together, if you need to disassemble them do it with extreme and extraordinary care. When I removed the caped torso from the skirted legs, it caused a scratch on the cape. There is virtually no clearance between the skirt and the inside of the cape once together. Thankfully it's unnoticeable when together (though still ----ty that fixing one problem created another especially considering how cautious I was).

I also had the same issue with getting the legs onto the base with both pair of skirted legs and the non-skirt version. Does anyone have a photo of the 'bow-legged' issue? I'd be curious to see the difference. Also, I have not been able to get any of the three sets of legs to settle completely into the base. At this point 've gotten the legs into the base as much as I comfortably feel I can without risking major damage.
This is how mine looks after I nudged it into place. I’ve seen others that look the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	647A6A62-F9D6-4BC3-905B-C6059E781F29.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	135631  
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #365
Karnis
Blue Falcon

Wow...Joe Theisman exclusive. Sorry to see this, especially after such a long wait.
Karnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #366
SDguy

I would just cut the peg. Is there really any reason for a 1/6 museum pose piece to have two pegs? Seems excessive.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #367
ACalica917
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Cutting the peg would certainly relieve the stress that may cause cracking in the future but Im just concerned if the “bow-leggedness” would ever return to its original form.
ACalica917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #368
Tempest
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis View Post
Wow...Joe Theisman exclusive. Sorry to see this, especially after such a long wait.
Yeah it was disappointing. I just don’t get how the peg and holes were so far apart. Obviously they weren’t all fitted in the factory.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #369
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
This is how mine looks after I nudged it into place. I’ve seen others that look the same.

That is how mine looks now as well. It has not moved back much at all after heating it up again and removing it from the base. I have let it sit on a towel now for a day and it has only moved a 1/16th of an inch at best toward the original alignment. Looks like the ankle bend is permanent now. I tried heating up the ankle area again and getting it straighter but no good. Thought I might break it.

If I had been more aware I would have just drilled a new peg hole or cut off the peg before even attempting to heat it up and get it in the existing peg hole. I moved the leg in nearly a full inch to get mine to fit. I think heat would have worked for a 1/4" or smaller span. Mine was just too far off. I did let it acclimate in my house for nearly 2 weeks.
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #370
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Wow
The ankle looks like it’s ready to snap

Jeremy I think at this point I would just cut the peg and maybe just apply heat to it to see if it would bend back any. I would be too worried about it snapping in its current position because of the stress that it is feeling from having being bent and the holes not lined up

I mean it is true a museum piece doesn’t need two pegs one peg would’ve been sufficient
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote