Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #381
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
It would also buy the studio some more time with actors who don't want to commit to many more appearances in their respective franchises.
What actor in their right mind would ever NOT want to commit to more appearances? Especially in the paycheck is right?
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #382
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Tired formula? It's certainly not showing at the box office.

A majority of the audience appears to be enjoying Marvel's handing of each film at the moment.

I'm all for mixing things up but also let's not fix what is not broken.
I don't think that by adding Team-Up films to the MCU it would "fix" anything, if anything it will break up the monotony that is setting in the MCU. Box office IMO has never been a way to judge how good a film is. I loved GOTG, but I was very let down by GOTG v2 and as far as I know it was making good money at the B.O.

I don't agree with the "if it's not broken don't fix it" mentality in this regard. I think it's a mistake to wait until the B.O. office starts dropping to "begin" thinking about fixing things. Marvel was flying high when they decided to throw GOTG into the mix, a move I didn't think audiences were ready for personally, but their gamble paid off handsomely. It was the same with Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, and I'm sure it will be with Black Panther. Audiences want to see more "new" heroes but they also want to keep seeing their favorites, so why not meet in the middle and do Team-Up films?

I also think Marvel needs to do more sequels or new films that are not interconnected to the over all MCU. Do some standalone films with smaller stakes. Hopefully once we are on the other side of the Infinity War film we'll see that. I just hope the next ten years of the MCU are not about building up to Secret Invasion.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #383
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
What actor in their right mind would ever NOT want to commit to more appearances? Especially in the paycheck is right?
RDJ and Chris Evans are two that spring to mind. I will say that they have been lured back for another movie here and another movie there, but it's been because they didn't need to sign up for three or four more films. And of course the paycheck. But if Marvel offered them millions and millions of dollars but they needed to sign a 3-4 film contract I don't think they would accept.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #384
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Tired formula? It's certainly not showing at the box office.

A majority of the audience appears to be enjoying Marvel's handing of each film at the moment.

I'm all for mixing things up but also let's not fix what is not broken.
Don't get me wrong, I like the MCU films for the most part but you can't deny they've established a formula that's applied to 95% of their films. This is mostly apparent in their origin films where most of the hero/villain dynamics are interchangeable. As a longtime fan of the Marvel Universe the parallels are becoming monotonous and as such I'd love to see them shake up the structure a bit. Marvel Team-Up films would be the perfect way to do this as it provides an alternate way of showcasing our heroes without highjacking a solo film like they did with Civil War and now Spider-Man.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #385
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like the MCU films for the most part but you can't deny they've established a formula that's applied to 95% of their films. This is mostly apparent in their origin films where most of the hero/villain dynamics are interchangeable. As a longtime fan of the Marvel Universe the parallels are becoming monotonous and as such I'd love to see them shake up the structure a bit. Marvel Team-Up films would be the perfect way to do this as it provides an alternate way of showcasing our heroes without highjacking a solo film like they did with Civil War and now Spider-Man.
We don't know yet that Iron Man has hijacked the Spider-Man movie--unless you have already seen it.

How many times have movies been criticized as having all the good parts thrown into the trailers? That could be the case here with Iron Man.

And as for his presence in the movie posters, I have seen the film below and can tell you for a fact that Meryl Streep appeared for all of five minutes in it despite her prominence in the poster.

Marvel is just trying to sell the movie using Iron Man's popularity no matter how many minutes he's actually on screen--because they need to emphasize that this movie will be different from that last Andrew Garfield one that was considered a flop.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #386
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I fully understand what they're doing in terms of marketing this film and you may very well be correct that his screen time will be limited. I actually think it will be too. It just feels like they're trying too hard to say "look Spider-Man is now in the MCU" with Iron Man's inclusion and the constant Avengers references. As if we needed another reminder after the introduction in Civil War. I'm personally not a fan of making Stark/IM a part of Peter's formative years as Spider-Man. I'd rather see him stand on his own first and team up with Iron Man in something of more substance outside of an unnecessary mentor role.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #387
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I fully understand what they're doing in terms of marketing this film and you may very well be correct that his screen time will be limited. I actually think it will be too. It just feels like they're trying too hard to say "look Spider-Man is now in the MCU" with Iron Man's inclusion and the constant Avengers references. As if we needed another reminder after the introduction in Civil War. I'm personally not a fan of making Stark/IM a part of Peter's formative years as Spider-Man. I'd rather see him stand on his own first and team up with Iron Man in something of more substance outside of an unnecessary mentor role.
Not to mention Stark creating the Spider-suit and it having an AI takes away so much of the characters charm. Parker, a kid without means, going above and beyond to do what is right because he has powers is the most compelling part of the character IMHO.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #388
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Not to mention Stark creating the Spider-suit and it having an AI takes away so much of the characters charm. Parker, a kid without means, going above and beyond to do what is right because he has powers is the most compelling part of the character IMHO.
Also, he's a boy genius. He created his webs and often had to figure out intricate stuff on his own, and still had a paper due the following day.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #389
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. It's like they wanted to incorporate aspects of the Iron Spider narrative, which for the record I'm not opposed too and it's somewhat fitting given we're coming off Civil War, just not at the expense of developing Peter as Spider-Man. Bottom line... Stark isn't responsible for the hero he becomes.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #390
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
I don't think we will have to worry about them overlooking this aspect of the character. It just won't be demonstrated in the order we are are used to. Don't forget Peter was already doing the Spidey thing before Stark approaches him in Civil War. I foresee a falling out between the two and Peter opting to do what he feels he needs to do anyway.

Less than a month away, fellas. We can find out for ourselves soon enough.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote