Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #81
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfyahui View Post
True prime one will be big,..but when?this is here now,and it's plenty big,the alien warrior in the background is a lot smaller next to the alien queen,..so this must be close to 1/4? Also I love the base,the alien eggs,the facehuggers hutching..and alien warriors in the shadows...it really is a piece of art,..for me day one pre order..
As far as I know Prime 1 hasn't even confirmed a 1/3 scale Alien Queen. John Pham of Prime 1 did say he would like to make one, but that's about it. And even if they do produce one, at the rate of speed they produce statues you're looking at 2020 or beyond. And at price tag north of 3K I suspect.
Malvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #82
toty21
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfyahui View Post
True prime one will be big,..but when?this is here now,and it's plenty big,the alien warrior in the background is a lot smaller next to the alien queen,..so this must be close to 1/4? Also I love the base,the alien eggs,the facehuggers hutching..and alien warriors in the shadows...it really is a piece of art,..for me day one pre order..
I agree this is very nice, but this is no where near 1/4 scale...this is 1/10 scale and would look like a mouse next to a 1/4 scale Alien Queen.
toty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #83
COI

A 1/4 scale queen would be 5 feet tall.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 AM   #84
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

This sculpt being 30inches height-wise, KO for the new Prime1 line. This is the BEST Alien-related sculpt Sideshow ever produced, but somebody was "smart" enough to make it PUNY !!!! WHYYYYYY?

@ 700doll the average Alien collector will say..."Nahhhhh, i will buy the Matrix one, bigger and more imposing or i will wait for the new 1/3 enormous Prime1 line". The market has changed, but Sideshow is still behaving as if she is still alone in this hobby. WAKE UP, Sideshow.

We want this marvellous sculpt in a BIGGER scale, not enormous (eg 40inc), but around 30inches height-wise. I read at least 50-60 comments @ social media, complaining about its height.

Prime1 is going to kill you, Prime1 is quickly taking all of Sideshow's fans of "REALISM" and big scale. Sideshow will be left producing puny statues and puny scales. We want this MASTERPIECE of a sculpt (Alien Queen maquette) @ least 30 inch height-wise.

(i admit that forps is a bit biased. Forps HATES small and short "statues". They look like Hot-toys figures. A big and imposing sculpt oozes a "statue-vibe" when executed good. This Alien Queen is the perfect example, the best Alien-related sculpt Sideshow came with, but tooooooooooo short to make an IMPRESSION)
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #85
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by forps View Post
Forps this, Forps that...

I'm not sure you speak for the "average" Alien collector, I'm not even sure there is one. Not many people have the space for the Matrix queen, it's huge! And unlicensed to boot remember. This sideshow version appears to be more of a diorama type thing, and I think the size is fine for that as it's more about the scene rather than just her highness. The Queen is an unwieldy shape, deceptive in many ways, I suspect that once you take all dimensions into account, this is probably a more impressive size than most people are thinking.

I do agree however that the competition for this license has just sky rocketed into the stratosphere. The Coolprops Big chap maquette isn't even comparable to anything we've seen from Sideshow or anybody else in the past. And with Prime 1 said to be working on their own, this really is a great time to be an alien collector... And Predator also for the same reasons soon which bodes very well given some recent items. A 1/3 queen is probably never going to happen however, that's just crazy but you may see a larger scale version that's more focused on the Queen from CP, P1, or even Sideshow themselves in future. For now, take this Queen maquette for what it is or leave it I guess as there's no lack of choice on the horizon, at least it looks pretty nice which is something. Rather than shoot SSC down about it, I'd rather encourage them to try and keep up with what the competition finally doing. We are all winners if they can....

This is where we're at now. Good times.

Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #86
forps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I'm not sure you speak for the "average" Alien collector, I'm not even sure there is one. Not many people have the space for the Matrix queen, it's huge! And unlicensed to boot remember. This sideshow version appears to be more of a diorama type thing, and I think the size is fine for that as it's more about the scene rather than just her highness. The Queen is an unwieldy shape, deceptive in many ways, I suspect that once you take all dimensions into account, this is probably a more impressive size than most people are thinking.

I do agree however that the competition for this license has just sky rocketed into the stratosphere however. The Coolprops Big chap maquette isn't even comparable to anything we've seen from Sideshow or anybody else in the past. And with Prime 1 said to be working on their own, this really is a great time to be an alien collector... And Predator also for the same reasons soon which bodes very well given some recent items. A 1/3 queen is probably never going to happen however, that's just crazy but you may see a larger scale version that's more focused on the Queen from CP, P1, or even Sideshow themselves in future. For now, take this Queen maquette for what it is or leave it I guess as there's no lack of choice on the horizon, at least it looks pretty nice which is something. Rather than shoot SSC down about it, I'd rather encourage the to try and keep up with what the competition finally doing. We are all winners if they can....
I know that Matrix is unlicensed and i would never buy that thing (or even promote it). But the average collector thinks this way. Why to buy a small Alien Queen for 700d when i can buy something bigger?

Or when Coolprops or Prime1 are coming with 1/3 BEASTS? The average collectors thinks..." I want the ULTIMATE Alien in my collection and a rather PUNY and short statue wont do an impression". The market has dramatically changed and Sideshow is a bit slow to realize it. The fail of the new Alien King maquette where 99% of collectors (even guys who received it) complained about its height next to eg Alien Chap or Alien from Cinemaquette, should alarm Sideshow that SHORT Alien statues, dont sell well enough. PERIOD.

Nevertheless, this sculpt (Alien Queen Maquette) is the best Alien-related sculpt, Sideshow ever came up with! I love the sculpt!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:19 AM   #87
Python
Omega Red

I'm not sure the market has changed, so much as the prices are just getting to such an unbearable amount, that people would rather pay a bit more for the higher end stuff. Suggesting Sideshow don't know the market is strange as they are still easily the market leaders for now.

I can't speak for the average collector, just me. I know we've seen lots of people sadly bowing out entirely in the last year or so. I have cut way down, I have three statues on order currently, a number which would have been way higher not so long ago, especially given all of the cool stuff about currently. I've passed on numerous really cool SSC items begrudgingly. What I am doing instead however is considering very expensive items that I would have been very unlikely to buy a few years ago and buying a few of those instead. The coolprops 1/3 Big chap above will likely be one of these purchases unless they go mad again with their pricing which they sadly do on occasion. If it's priced as I expect, I'd rather have a Giger museum backed, near perfect looking 1/3 Alien for a big chunk of money, than two or three PF's. And that is the choice we all face now.

Sideshow are doing just fine mostly, all companies have their hits and missis, but this Queen maquette is lovely aside from a few undersized drones that they will hopefully scale up. Their one big issue in general is that the items they are producing are being priced in a way that does them a disservice and takes them more in line with higher end items. And that is where we the customer have to decide where our money goes. I will point out however, we don't actually know yet how much this Queen maquette is. Maybe save some criticism until we have all of the details. If you want a bigger Queen, I'm fairly certain you'll get one at some point. This one probably isn't for you, but that doesn't make it a mistake as there is no doubt plenty of people out there dying for a Queen dio of this size. And it has plenty of positives that we could focus on despite your personal preferences.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #88
forps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
so much as the prices are just getting to such an unbearable amount, that people would rather pay a bit more for the higher end stuff.

What I am doing instead however is considering very expensive items that I would have been very unlikely to buy a few years ago and buying a few of those instead. ... If it's priced as I expect, I'd rather have a Giger museum backed, near perfect looking 1/3 Alien for a big chunk of money, than two or three PF's. And that is the choice we all face now.
Dear Python,

the above describes EXACTLY how the average collector being PRICED out feels today. "Why to get 2-3 PFFs for 600d each and not get a 1/3 beast instead which is bigger and more imposing!" Im screaming this to Sideshow but Sideshow seems to live in another world. Check out their sales for the PUNY and Koto-looking Artgerm line. Fail. The sales of Killer Croc. Small and puny Killer Croc = FAIL.

The market is going to 2 directions. Many older collectors being priced out either go to smaller, figure-ish scales (1/6) or they wait for the best or better said an ENORMOUS 1/3 representation of the character they want. EXACTLY as you mentioned above ((average collector) is considering very expensive items that I would have been very unlikely to buy a few years ago and buying a few of those instead. I'd rather have a Giger museum backed, near perfect looking 1/3 Alien for a big chunk of money, than two or three PF's. And that is the choice we all face now.)

This is the reason Prime1 is so successful and murders Sideshow @ the moment. Prime1 offers REALISTIC sculpts (what collectors love, a grown up man wants something looking "serious" enough to present it in his mancave) together with BIG SCALES and sculpts. The average collector who was collecting PFFs for 300-350d is being squeezed to death.

This along with the entrance of DEEP-POCKET collectors from Asia or other regions due to the success of the comic-based movies lead to the situation where the old, average collector is doomed!

Pity or not, market has gone to either too small or too big. Sideshow should re-align herself accordingly. Her no1 competitor isnt XM, is the BEAST Prime1 coming in full speed with realistic and big sculpts.

Back to subject, the same Alien Queen sculpt but 30inch height-wise, and a sure day 1, second 1, millisecond 1 PO for me!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #89
forps

Ahhh and Python, forps loves you (you are kind and polite) so i will give you an advice.

Coolprops 1/3 Alien looks like a toy, it has no pose, it is too stiff. It gives a "toy-vibe", its like a big action figure! Better wait for the beasts 1/3 Prime1 is preparing

My 0.46 cents cause forps "loves" your politeness!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #90
Python
Omega Red

Well thank you for the compliment, while advice is appreciated, it will fall on death ears in this case as we seem to have different tastes, which is fine. A museum pose does not necessarily equate to an action figure look.

I can see why such static poses are not for everybody of course. But Coolprops clearly set out to make an accurate representation of the real suit as it sits today in the Giger museum and they have succeeded spectacularly in that regard. We've never seen an Alien sculpt this good before. The pose is inoffensive and demands all focus on the creature design itself, and given how close they have got it to the real thing, that's just fine by me and I'd love to have a bit of Giger history like that in my house. I will say that I would prefer they at least took a little artistic liberty to add some simple aesthetics to the base, a Nostromo style floor for example. But otherwise I love that thing. If you know of a figure that looks like it however, I'm all ears And I am pretty concerned about Coolprops production pieces tbh, that's why I was excited when we thought P1 were involved..

All of that said, as overjoyed as I am at an accurate Big chap prop from Coolprops, I'm also incredibly excited to see what Prime 1 (and others including Sideshow) can do to try and match it. If P1 can make something that looks almost as good as the CP version, with a nice living pose, well I'll be doubly happy and there is certainly room for both in my display (If I can afford it)

As for the Queen maquette potentially having being 30" tall, that would no doubt be cool I agree (I like bigger scales also) The problem there is that it would also be around 30" deep also, and I'd imagine a large amount of potential customers would struggle to fit that into their displays. The Big chap is one thing, you can make him 1/3 not problem as he's tall and skinny, the Queen is a different beast entirely.