Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-18-2015, 12:37 AM   #4391
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I have to admit, even with everything that has happened with Aspen over the last 2 years, there was this small part of me that held out some hope that Frank, Peter, and anyone else that has any say in how Aspen is run would come to thier senses and go back to the original business model with prints, the one that made them so successful in the first place. The main reason why I have held onto this hope is its just such a common sense move to make, especially given evenrthing that has happened and the overall repsonce from fans and collectors. I don't know a single Aspen print collector that approves of the way Aspen has handled prints these last couple years. In fact, most are disgusted by it and no longer even buy from Aspen anymore.

Again, at least from where I am sitting, its as common sense as common sense gets. Lower the price back down to $39.99, come out and publically admit that the way Aspen handled its print business the last couple of years was a big mistake and go back to the original business model, with a public promise that this sort of thing will never happen again. There would be a regular print release with an edition size between 50 and 75-100, and an OP print somwhere down the line if the demand was there. Thats it, period. No more reprints/recolors, no more table copies, etc. Again, just the basic business model that Aspen had followed for 9+ years and made them the most successful comic company in the print market. Had Frank brought in a professional business advisor that specializes in art sales, they would have told him the exact same thing. Go back to the basics that made you successful in the first place and more importantly, gain back the trust of your fans.

Honestly, had they done this, even I would have been open to giving them another chance, as amazing as that may sound coming from me. As long as they owned up to the mistakes and promised publically that they would never happen again, I honestly would have been open to buying from Aspen again on a regular basis.

Well, after logging onto eBay today and seeing Aspen's new auctions....well, its now 100% official. I have given up all hope that Aspen will ever go back to being the company they once were. The Aspen of old is 100% dead and buried and never coming back. For those unaware, Aspen is now releasing a new edition for all of thier prints. This edition will be 11x17 and will be full bleed, lol. Full bleed!!!! Honestly, Aspen is now just a complete mystery to me. Aspen's print design was one of the single best aspects of thier prints. A white border is absolutely mandatory with prints. It just adds so much to a print. It frames the image, gives the print a more professional and finsihed quality, and makes them much better suited for framing. All in all, it just makes prints look so much more professional and higher in quality. I haven't printed a photography print without a white border in over 20 years and never will ever again. So not only has Aspen lost thier way in regards to the business side of limited edition prints, but they have also lost thier way in regards to the overall design of thier prints.

Sure, one can argue that the whole topic of a white border is purely subjective, but the preference of having a white border is without question one of the most widely held opinions in the entire print collecting market. Some people prefer 1/2", some prefer 1", but all in all, the VAST majority of print collectors prefer to have a white border, especially those that store thier prints in portfolios. I once saw a poll regarding this topic a few years back on EspressoBeans, which is one of the largest art print forums on the web, and I remember the results of that poll very clearly since I am such a large advocate for white borders. By the time the poll finished, over 500 people had voted and the end result was roughly 96% in favor of having a white border. There is a very good reason why the VAST majority of digital print websites like Art.com, DeviantArt, Red Bubble etc. all produce prints with a white border.

So we now have regular prints, OP prints, recolors/reprints, table copies, and now full bleed 11x17 prints. Its just absolutely mind boggling. What happened with Aspen will forever be one of the biggest mysteries of my life in regards to collecting. How a company can go from 9 absolutely picture perfect years of selling limited edition prints, with an absolutely rock solid business plan and print design, to a company that doesnt seem to understand this market or the customer base of this market at all is just an absolute mystery to me.

No offense Frank, but Aspen is just in desperate need of new management, at least when it comes to the print side of Aspen's business. You have simply lost your way. In fact, that is really the understatement of the century. Just when I think thing can't get any worse, I see something like this.

I was actually under the impression that Aspen's older prints had hit rock bottom in regards to value. I really just couldn't imagine that they could go any lower value wise, but clearly this is just another aspect regarding Aspen I was just dead wrong about. These will cause a further drop in value of the orginal prints. I now expect most older prints will sell below the $50-$60 level.

What makes this even more sad is I sent Frank emails that had some great idea's for new editions for Aspen's prints. High end fine art paper limited editions using Japanese Washi paper. Had Aspen produced sketch prints on that kind of paper, they would have looked absolutely brilliant and would have been so different from the original color prints that nobody would have gotten upset over new editions being produced. I even sent over links to some of the Awagami Japanese Washi digital paper that would have looked absolutey stunning. Those prints would have blown collectors socks off. Even the most pissed off collectors would have had a hard time saying no to those prints, but instead you ignored all those emails and those ideas, without so much as even doing a single test print release, which is what I recommended you do, and instead you decide to make 11x17 full bleed full color prints. Basically the same prints, just smaller and without the white border. Basically, thier like taking a 13x19 print and cutting off the white border. Wow, how creative, lol.

I openely admit, I have purchased a few Aspen prints over the last 3-6 months and the reason I have done so is because I was literally only like 18 prints away from having a 100% complete Turner print collection (reprints/recolors not included) and the prices are so ridiculously cheap now that I figured what the hell. I have already spent upwards of $22-25k on my Aspen print collection, with most of the prints being purchased in the $125-$350 range. Why not buy the remainig 18 prints now that prices are down to such ridiculosly low prices? But after this, I am officially done. I am officially throwing in the towel. Again, it is 100% clear now that the Aspen people supported over the years is long dead and buried. I don't recognize this new Aspen at all. Its just a vastly inferior company, in every possible way, and that is really the understatement of the century.

Just mind boggling, absolutely mind boggling.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:43 AM   #4392
frankm
Aspen Comics
Producer

Michael,

Just finished catching up in here. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. I'm very sorry to hear of your disappointment because we continually strive to bring our Aspen products to old and new fans every single day. I fully understand you'd like our prints to sell the same as they did 10 plus years ago, but unfortunately, it's a different time and a much different market now. Though you see what you believe to be correct, we see and hear what we feel to be correct at the 20 plus conventions and signings that we attend throughout each year and make decisions from there. I know your feelings on the subject are very sincere and that you care a great deal or you wouldn't spend the time you do expressing your views to everyone. Bottom line, we're the exact same people that started the company over 13 years ago. We do the best we can each year to position the company better in every area of growth, not just prints. You feel we've done this wrong, incorrectly, mind boggling mysteriously, etc., but we feel we've introduced our art and products to as many fans as we possibly could. As you said, the recent prints you bought from us were to complete your collection. That's great. We want all buyers of our products to hopefully find something they like because they appreciate the art and like what they're buying. Change is inevitable but we actually look forward to the challenges that always come up. We have a huge 2016 planned with our recently announced Aspen universe crossover, sorry to hear you won't be around to see what we have coming up. Hopefully we'll catch you down the road sometime. Take care.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #4393
rottencat
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

As someone who owns hundreds of Aspen prints I am shocked to see these new 11X17 re-prints. My collection is suddenly devalued and will continue to do so. Sad day. It does not seem to end and there is nothing I could do. Really disappointing.
rottencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #4394
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottencat View Post
As someone who owns hundreds of Aspen prints I am shocked to see these new 11X17 re-prints. My collection is suddenly devalued and will continue to do so. Sad day. It does not seem to end and there is nothing I could do. Really disappointing.
Wow. Just wow. I got that email this morning and my heart sank...once again! I was annoyed before and now I'm just disgusted and it's put a downer on a day that should only be a fun and happy one.

I have probably a few dozen prints which are now worth but a fraction of what I paid directly to Aspen via their ebay auctions. Its not a case of buying something that has gone out of fashion here its the blatant disregard for fans by ignoring the 'limited' part of these items.

Frank you can expect an email from me at some point in the coming month with a list of all the prints I've got which are now all but worthless because you keep on re-printing and re-printing those images. I trust you'll be happy to either provide recompense or take these on a return and full refund basis?
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #4395
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfrog View Post
Wow. Just wow. I got that email this morning and my heart sank...once again! I was annoyed before and now I'm just disgusted and it's put a downer on a day that should only be a fun and happy one.

I have probably a few dozen prints which are now worth but a fraction of what I paid directly to Aspen via their ebay auctions. Its not a case of buying something that has gone out of fashion here its the blatant disregard for fans by ignoring the 'limited' part of these items.

Frank you can expect an email from me at some point in the coming month with a list of all the prints I've got which are now all but worthless because you keep on re-printing and re-printing those images. I trust you'll be happy to either provide recompense or take these on a return and full refund basis?
Aspens actions have just been disgusting and after the open edition 11x17 move, were literally just beyond words now in regards to the depths that Aspen has sunk too. Honestly, they should just get rid of the Aspen name altogther and just take on BDI's name at this point. Its clear now that Aspen, and the aspects of the company that made it so great, really died right along side its founder, Michael Turner. It just took a few years for the effects to really sink in.

Open edition 11x17 prints that are only $9.99 if you buy 5 or more, which still winds up being less than a single 13x19 limited edition print, lol. Honestly, I actually almost laughed when I first saw it. This whole thing has been like a really bad joke that has played out again and again over the last couple years, just getting worse and worse as it goes on. It really is laughable at this point. I'm expecting 8x10 and wallet sized prints by this time next year, lol.

Well, I guess the good news about these new prints is the fact that they highight just how ridiculous the $59.99 price point is for thier limited edition prints. Honestly, Frank can say whatever he wants at this point. He can talk all he wants about his 20 conventions a year and so on and so forth. His words are 100% meaningless to me. His actions speak for themselves and this much is fact, Frank has absolutely zero respect for the limited edition print market or the people that invest thier hard earned money on Aspen's limited edition prints. Frank cares about one thing and one thing only and that is milking Michael Turner's artwork for every last penny that he can get. That is an indisputable fact in my book. And I don't expect it will stop here either. He will continue to come up new ways that make money off of Turner's work and whether or not they will damage the value of the collectibles already on the market is 100% irrelevant to him. All he cares about is $$$. Thats the only language Frank understands.

Michael Turner's legacy is pretty much set in stone at this point. He will be long remembered even after Aspen is gone. Frank's legacy on the other hand has yet to be fully written, but it will definitely include absolutely decimating one of the most successful, longest running, and highest valued print markets in the entire history of the comic market. Frank will also get credit for inventing the "table copy", which is basically just another term for an illegal print that was created above and beyond a stated edition size. And there is still plenty of time left for Frank to add to that impressive list of accomplishments.

I often talk about subjectivity on these forums, both in regards to value and someone's overall opinion on a partciular piece of art or statue, but in this case subjectivity be damned. This is a company that has literally broken the laws of the states in operates in and has set one of the worst precedents in the entire history of the print market. Aspen has screwed over its print customers at a level I have simply never seen before, and just continues to do it again and again and again. Any company that acts in such a manner doesn't deserve to stay in business, at least not with present management in place and I will do everythng within my power from this point forward to make sure everyone I know never buys a thing from Aspen ever again and that includes my wife and my 2 nephews.

I am even thinking of starting a free website that documents the actions of Aspen over these last few years so the information is at least out there for collectors to see. At least then they can make an informed decision on wether to support Aspen. Maybe it will stop some new collectors from making the same mistake the people in this thread made, myself included. That being trusting Aspen to have your best interest in mind when it comes to its limited edition collectibles.

Regardless of what happens from this point forward, I am officially done with Aspen. They even recently changed how they handle sales on the Aspen store as you no longer get full reward points for sale purchases. That was one of the best aspects of Aspen sales, but thats gone now too. There is literally nothing left of the original Aspen. Its all changed and none of it is for the better. I went there last night to spend my final $25 GC and sure enough, you now only get reward points equal to the sale cost of the item. So again, they have also taken away one of the best aspects about Aspen sales. And my wife informed me last night that many of the items that were sold out during the recent December sale are now magically back in stock. She still places orders from Aspen during the holidays for my 2 nephews, a practice that will cease from this point forward, and she told me that half of the signed comics that were on sale and out of stock were immeditaly back in stock once the sale ended. So Aspen disappoints even its non print customers like my wife. What a shock.

Honestly, Michael Turner would be absolutely disgusted to see what has become of Aspen since his passing. That man had integrity and a respect for his fans that Frank will never have. What Frank has done over the last couple of years, its really nothing short of criminal, and I mean that both figuratively and literally.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #4396
Viper2005
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Aspens actions have just been disgusting and after the open edition 11x17 move, were literally just beyond words now in regards to the depths that Aspen has sunk too. Honestly, they should just get rid of the Aspen name altogther and just take on BDI's name at this point. Its clear now that Aspen, and the aspects of the company that made it so great, really died right along side its founder, Michael Turner. It just took a few years for the effects to really sink in.

Open edition 11x17 prints that are only $9.99 if you buy 5 or more, which still winds up being less than a single 13x19 limited edition print, lol. Honestly, I actually almost laughed when I first saw it. This whole thing has been like a really bad joke that has played out again and again over the last couple years, just getting worse and worse as it goes on. It really is laughable at this point. I'm expecting 8x10 and wallet sized prints by this time next year, lol.

Well, I guess the good news about these new prints is the fact that they highight just how ridiculous the $59.99 price point is for thier limited edition prints. Honestly, Frank can say whatever he wants at this point. He can talk all he wants about his 20 conventions a year and so on and so forth. His words are 100% meaningless to me. His actions speak for themselves and this much is fact, Frank has absolutely zero respect for the limited edition print market or the people that invest thier hard earned money on Aspen's limited edition prints. Frank cares about one thing and one thing only and that is milking Michael Turner's artwork for every last penny that he can get. That is an indisputable fact in my book. And I don't expect it will stop here either. He will continue to come up new ways that make money off of Turner's work and whether or not they will damage the value of the collectibles already on the market is 100% irrelevant to him. All he cares about is $$$. Thats the only language Frank understands.

Michael Turner's legacy is pretty much set in stone at this point. He will be long remembered even after Aspen is gone. Frank's legacy on the other hand has yet to be fully written, but it will definitely include absolutely decimating one of the most successful, longest running, and highest valued print markets in the entire history of the comic market. Frank will also get credit for inventing the "table copy", which is basically just another term for an illegal print that was created above and beyond a stated edition size. And there is still plenty of time left for Frank to add to that impressive list of accomplishments.

I often talk about subjectivity on these forums, both in regards to value and someone's overall opinion on a partciular piece of art or statue, but in this case subjectivity be damned. This is a company that has literally broken the laws of the states in operates in and has set one of the worst precedents in the entire history of the print market. Aspen has screwed over its print customers at a level I have simply never seen before, and just continues to do it again and again and again. Any company that acts in such a manner doesn't deserve to stay in business, at least not with present management in place and I will do everythng within my power from this point forward to make sure everyone I know never buys a thing from Aspen ever again and that includes my wife and my 2 nephews.

I am even thinking of starting a free website that documents the actions of Aspen over these last few years so the information is at least out there for collectors to see. At least then they can make an informed decision on wether to support Aspen. Maybe it will stop some new collectors from making the same mistake the people in this thread made, myself included. That being trusting Aspen to have your best interest in mind when it comes to its limited edition collectibles.

Regardless of what happens from this point forward, I am officially done with Aspen. They even recently changed how they handle sales on the Aspen store as you no longer get full reward points for sale purchases. That was one of the best aspects of Aspen sales, but thats gone now too. There is literally nothing left of the original Aspen. Its all changed and none of it is for the better. I went there last night to spend my final $25 GC and sure enough, you now only get reward points equal to the sale cost of the item. So again, they have also taken away one of the best aspects about Aspen sales. And my wife informed me last night that many of the items that were sold out during the recent December sale are now magically back in stock. She still places orders from Aspen during the holidays for my 2 nephews, a practice that will cease from this point forward, and she told me that half of the signed comics that were on sale and out of stock were immeditaly back in stock once the sale ended. So Aspen disappoints even its non print customers like my wife. What a shock.

Honestly, Michael Turner would be absolutely disgusted to see what has become of Aspen since his passing. That man had integrity and a respect for his fans that Frank will never have. What Frank has done over the last couple of years, its really nothing short of criminal, and I mean that both figuratively and literally.
At this point, we can probably assume the only prints worth anything are the ones with MT's sig on them. No matter how many more variations Aspen can make on those prints, they can never duplicate that sig on their future prints, so I think those will hold some value still.

Oh and OrangeCrush, if you are planning to ever do that website, I understand that the name AspenComics is still available to register on the .sucks domain
Viper2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #4397
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2005 View Post
At this point, we can probably assume the only prints worth anything are the ones with MT's sig on them. No matter how many more variations Aspen can make on those prints, they can never duplicate that sig on their future prints, so I think those will hold some value still.

Oh and OrangeCrush, if you are planning to ever do that website, I understand that the name AspenComics is still available to register on the .sucks domain
Yeah, the prints with Michael's siganture will definitely retain a level of value above the non signed prints but I can't see it being a lot of money at this point. Maybe an additional $15-$20, like you see with most of his signed comics. The problem is, especially with cheap $9.99 11x17 prints now available, that only the most die hard fans will even bother waiting and searching for those prints now that there are super cheap alternatives right on Aspen's website that can be purchased at anytime. That will only cause a further drop in demand and a further drop in value of the older prints.

From what I have seen over the last 6-9 months, signed Turner prints are now selling in the $40-$80 range. I just saw 3 more prints sell like 3 weeks back for $50 each w/ free shipping and those prints would have easily sold for $200+ a few years back. I saw 2 prints like 6-8 weeks back sell for like $32 and $48 and those were prints that would have easily sold above the $200 mark a couple years back. So basically, even before this whole 11x17 announcement, older Turner prints have been selling at price levels that were actually below the current MSRP of Aspen's new prints ($59.99), lol. If that doesnt show you just how F*cked this market really is now, I have no idea what does.

There will be a few exception, those being Michael's most sought after and beloved prints, but even those will likely sell for less than $100 at this point. The size of the limited edition Aspen/Turner market was always pretty small and focused, after all, the edition sizes were only in the 50-100 range. That is not a big market by any measure. When you decimate a small market like Aspen has done....well, what your ultimately left with are just a few stragglers here and there looking to take advantage of the huge drop in prices that have occured in the market. Most of the serious collectors move on. The prices your seeing on eBay is 100% proof of that. Basically, nobody is willing to get into bidding wars that drive up the value of the prints like we used to see back in the day. You still have the misc few that are listing Turner prints at price levels that we saw a couple years back. Of course, none of those prints are selling. They just get relisted again and again and again and again.

Bottom line - you can stick a fork in the Aspen print market as it is 100% cooked at this point, at least in regards to demand/value. Sure, there will no doubt be lots of collectors lining up to buy those cheap 11x17 prints and Aspen will no doubt continue to make more prints and more money off of selling those prints, but Aspen's prints will never rise in value ever again. In fact, the minute people buy new Aspen prints, they immeditaly drop in value as NONE of Aspen's newer prints are selling at $59.99 levels on eBay. Most of the non Turner prints that have been selling on eBay have been selling for ridiculously low prices. I am talking like $10-$25 levels. Even Aspen's auctions have dropped to rock bottom levels. Most get 1 or 2 bidders at most and wind up ending between the starting price of $25 and like $40-$50, at most. So anyone who buys Aspen's limited edition prints at this point is just a fool. The second you buy them they are worth less than what you paid.

So Aspen may well survive this and continue making money on prints, but their prints will never be valuable ever again and the Aspen print market will never be respected ever again. I guarantee every non Turner print Aspen has created over the last couple years will be easily purchased for $15-$25 a couple years from now. There is simply no going up anymore for the value of Aspen's prints. The only changes you will see are price drops, especially for Aspen's new prints that are selling for $59.99.

Nice!! Aspencomics.sucks. I love it. Might have to go and snag that!! People might think I am crazy for wanting to start a website, but I have a lot of physical evidence that proves what Aspen has done these last couple years. I still have all of my eBay emails that prove that Aspen was selling DC/Marvel prints as limited edition prints. I have eBay advanced searches (saved as PDF's) on complected auctions that prove Aspen sold "Table copies" and that Aspen sold "Last one" prints only to turn around and sell another copy 8-12 weeks later. You see, I have always been interested in tracking the pricing in the markets I collect from so as soon as I started rebuying my Aspen prints, I started doing PDF print outs of all Aspen's completed auctions. eBay allows you to go back 15 days so you only have to do it twice per month. So I basically have a record of every print Aspen has sold since I started collecting prints again back in late 2011. I really think I need to make that evidence public, so people can at least see that all of the bad sh*t that people have been saying about Aspen....well, its all true.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #4398
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Yeah, the prints with Michael's siganture will definitely retain a level of value above the non signed prints but I can't see it being a lot of money at this point. Maybe an additional $15-$20, like you see with most of his signed comics. The problem is, especially with cheap $9.99 11x17 prints now available, that only the most die hard fans will even bother waiting and searching for those prints now that there are super cheap alternatives right on Aspen's website that can be purchased at anytime. That will only cause a further drop in demand and a further drop in value of the older prints.

From what I have seen over the last 6-9 months, signed Turner prints are now selling in the $40-$80 range. I just saw 3 more prints sell like 3 weeks back for $50 each w/ free shipping and those prints would have easily sold for $200+ a few years back. I saw 2 prints like 6-8 weeks back sell for like $32 and $48 and those were prints that would have easily sold above the $200 mark a couple years back. So basically, even before this whole 11x17 announcement, older Turner prints have been selling at price levels that were actually below the current MSRP of Aspen's new prints ($59.99), lol. If that doesnt show you just how F*cked this market really is now, I have no idea what does.

There will be a few exception, those being Michael's most sought after and beloved prints, but even those will likely sell for less than $100 at this point. The size of the limited edition Aspen/Turner market was always pretty small and focused, after all, the edition sizes were only in the 50-100 range. That is not a big market by any measure. When you decimate a small market like Aspen has done....well, what your ultimately left with are just a few stragglers here and there looking to take advantage of the huge drop in prices that have occured in the market. Most of the serious collectors move on. The prices your seeing on eBay is 100% proof of that. Basically, nobody is willing to get into bidding wars that drive up the value of the prints like we used to see back in the day. You still have the misc few that are listing Turner prints at price levels that we saw a couple years back. Of course, none of those prints are selling. They just get relisted again and again and again and again.

Bottom line - you can stick a fork in the Aspen print market as it is 100% cooked at this point, at least in regards to demand/value. Sure, there will no doubt be lots of collectors lining up to buy those cheap 11x17 prints and Aspen will no doubt continue to make more prints and more money off of selling those prints, but Aspen's prints will never rise in value ever again. In fact, the minute people buy new Aspen prints, they immeditaly drop in value as NONE of Aspen's newer prints are selling at $59.99 levels on eBay. Most of the non Turner prints that have been selling on eBay have been selling for ridiculously low prices. I am talking like $10-$25 levels. Even Aspen's auctions have dropped to rock bottom levels. Most get 1 or 2 bidders at most and wind up ending between the starting price of $25 and like $40-$50, at most. So anyone who buys Aspen's limited edition prints at this point is just a fool. The second you buy them they are worth less than what you paid.

So Aspen may well survive this and continue making money on prints, but their prints will never be valuable ever again and the Aspen print market will never be respected ever again. I guarantee every non Turner print Aspen has created over the last couple years will be easily purchased for $15-$25 a couple years from now. There is simply no going up anymore for the value of Aspen's prints. The only changes you will see are price drops, especially for Aspen's new prints that are selling for $59.99.

Nice!! Aspencomics.sucks. I love it. Might have to go and snag that!! People might think I am crazy for wanting to start a website, but I have a lot of physical evidence that proves what Aspen has done these last couple years. I still have all of my eBay emails that prove that Aspen was selling DC/Marvel prints as limited edition prints. I have eBay advanced searches (saved as PDF's) on complected auctions that prove Aspen sold "Table copies" and that Aspen sold "Last one" prints only to turn around and sell another copy 8-12 weeks later. You see, I have always been interested in tracking the pricing in the markets I collect from so as soon as I started rebuying my Aspen prints, I started doing PDF print outs of all Aspen's completed auctions. eBay allows you to go back 15 days so you only have to do it twice per month. So I basically have a record of every print Aspen has sold since I started collecting prints again back in late 2011. I really think I need to make that evidence public, so people can at least see that all of the bad sh*t that people have been saying about Aspen....well, its all true.
Hit the nail on the head there OC.

As for starting a website, well that's not at all crazy and I'd be interested in seeing that info. Did you literally PDF all the completed auctions then? If so that may be useful to me. Like I said above, I'm going to be emailing Frank over this. Its despicable imho and there should be consequences for false advertising and selling under false pretenses.

I'll drop you a PM OC with my email and please keep me informed wrt the website!
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:30 AM   #4399
benhernandez
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Wow, It's been a while since I've posted anything on this thread or even been on the forum. Look's like I have missed a lot.

I'm a little shocked to what's being going on this thread. My intention when I first started this thread was to share the wonderful art that Aspen was creating and releasing in print format just in case some of us knew or din't know of their existence and wanted to see if we could locate them. That and to show of our own personal collection. It was never meant for it to be a place of attack on any one or any company. But I know it happens. I am puzzled by the words that some people have used or the comments that have been said. Let's remember where this thread is located at, it's on a statue forum for collectors. For some one to be upset for multiple releases of an item that is limited edition is kind of crazy, especially in the world of collectibles.

How many times has a Darth Vader action figure been produced and released, yes I know what you might be thinking, it's not limited so it doesn't count. So point taken, lets talk about Sideshow then, they just re-released new C-3PO and R2-D2 Premium Formats. The first released had a simple base and had an edition size of 200. The second released had a Dirtier R2 and it had a sand base with no edition size mentioned. The new ones has a base that represents the floor of the Millennium Falcon with an edition size of 5000. I don't think I ever saw any collector get upset because of the new releases. Did it kill the price on the original release? Or how about the second release? No I see them go for $900-$2K it all depends on which release it was. What about the different color X-men Angel Comiquette? or the Modern Batman? Or the Red Son Superman? or the Red Son Wonder Woman?

Ok, lets talk prints, Adam Hughes, J Scott Campbell, Alex Sinclair, Frank Frazetta, Joe Kubert, are just a few names of other artist who have released prints of the same image in different sizes, or with a different color scheme, no edition number, border, signature. Look at Alex Sinclair, Releases 11x17 Prints with an edition print of 50 and then releases 10 13x19 with a double or triple the price.

Again it's not new. What I find horrible is that some of you guys are willing to judge one's character based on the decisions that a company must make to reach new fans. Statement that Mr. Turner would never do anything like this to its fans is ridiculous. If you really believe that, you are not Aspen or Turner Fans. Did none of you ever encounter Mini Prints? or how about the OP (Online Proof) Edition Prints. Some were reused images that had a new border on them. Those were released while Mr. Turner was still alive and they have his signature, Aspen is not doing any thing different than they have done in the past.

What I find funny is that supposedly "Aspen doesn't care about their fans". That is a wrong statement, they fixed the issues with the Kianni Bases, they got involved in the Faux Bronze fiasco even though they had nothing to do with it and that was all Statue Forum and the painter Dano and tried to get the statues finished and shipped to the buyers that were still owed. They come on forums and talk to us and listen to us complain, rant and rave about their products. What sucks is that just a few of many fans are complaining.

I know it sucks that some of the prints are not worth what they use to be, I am sure I have spent more money than any of you on obtaining their prints since I started my collection at the beginning of 2008 and Mr. Turner passed away in the middle of 2008. But I am not sad or angry because of it. I collected them for the love of the art and for what Mr. Turner stood for, not for an investment. If I wanted an investment I would have bought stocks and mutual funds, not art, especially not prints.

Art is only as worth as one is willing to pay for it. Most of us chose to pay the high prices that we did after Mr. Turners death because we wanted to. No one made us, Aspen's eBay auctions always started at $25, on some a I got good deals, on others not so much. I once paid the $600 for a print that I wanted badly. Should I blame you guys for raising the price so high during the bidding process? No, it was my choice and my choice alone.

Has anyone seen what the new 11x17 prints look like? I have, I actually got one, and they do not compare well to the 13x19 prints they lack a WOW factor, I am not worried at all about them affecting the value of my prints. To me they look like large postcards, that you can pin up to a wall with pins or tape. See below for the pictures. As well as one of the many prints that I have multiple copies of but in different borders that I am proud to have. As you will see these new prints seem to be geared towards the art collectors that preffer to spend little amounts of money versus high end product.

Like I stated at the beginning, my intent of this thread was to share the wonderful work of art that Mr. Turner and Aspen Comics produced with people that may have not known about them or already knew about them but were not aware of what prints existed out there.

If any of you really want to jump ship send me a list of the prints you got and I may offer you some good money. I have a few Turner prints that I am missing that I would love to get my hands on.
benhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #4400
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Not a print but still Aspen related. I was able to pick up the Aspen Black Armor Statue on Boxing Day at a great price. Many thanks to Franks and his team for putting up with my dumb questions after receiving her! I really love Dene Mason's work... Wish we could see more from him!

Some quick iPhone pics:

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote