Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 09-12-2023, 09:01 AM   #11
BB&WSF
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanCo View Post
I use a studio setup with Elinchrom material (RX4 lights with modifiers) for light.

As a camera my D810 with a 105mm macro lens.

I my equipment for other (dance and studio, urbex...) photography too:
https://www.stefancouvreur.photography/

EDIT: macro function is important for statues, since it allows you to get really close with still the option of getting focus. Other long distance lenses have the same 'zoom' value but don't allow you to get close focus, with means less close up.
Thanks for sharing all the info, StefanCo. Seems like the macro lens is the way to go. I am at the stage of finalizing whether to go full frame, APSC, or micro 4/3. In the categories mentioned above, I found Sony Alpha 7II, Nikon D7500, and Panasonic G85 selling at a very good price. Though, they are older cameras, but I read a lot of good reviews about them.
BB&WSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #12
BB&WSF

Quote:
I use a studio setup with Elinchrom material (RX4 lights with modifiers) for light.

As a camera my D810 with a 105mm macro lens.

I my equipment for other (dance and studio, urbex...) photography too:
https://www.stefancouvreur.photography/

EDIT: macro function is important for statues, since it allows you to get really close with still the option of getting focus. Other long distance lenses have the same 'zoom' value but don't allow you to get close focus, with means less close up.
Wow! Just saw the pics in your portfolio, StefanCo. Amazing work!
Old 09-13-2023, 09:49 AM   #13
StefanCo
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB&WSF View Post
Thanks for sharing all the info, StefanCo. Seems like the macro lens is the way to go. I am at the stage of finalizing whether to go full frame, APSC, or micro 4/3. In the categories mentioned above, I found Sony Alpha 7II, Nikon D7500, and Panasonic G85 selling at a very good price. Though, they are older cameras, but I read a lot of good reviews about them.

When it comes to getting close to the subject, a APSC may be in advantage here. For example a 50mm lens on APSC gives you the result of a 75mm on full frame. You get closer to your subject. That's why macro photographers like it, it gets you closer to your subject.

Full frame has the advantage in higher ISO values, which are most of the cases a result of:
  • low available light (for example cityscape at night);
  • need to use high shutter speed, which results in higher ISO (car races);
  • combination of those (dance/concert);
If you main goal is statue photography, full frame may be overkill, since you have options to keep the ISO low:
  • add artificial light;
  • use longer exposure time (camera on tripod) since statues don't move, you can take your time;
I can only speak for the D7500 (I'm a Nikon user) out of the ones you mentioned, but this is a good camera to get the job done.

Quote:
Wow! Just saw the pics in your portfolio, StefanCo. Amazing work!

StefanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:54 AM   #14
StefanCo
Birdman

IMPORTANT:
There are nice 3rd party macro lenses with Nikon/Canon/... mount available.

But be carefull, some don't have an autofocus engine in the lens. Which means manual focus, unless the camera has a focus motor for the lens.Most Full Frames have one (like my D800e or D810), but my D5200 hasn't. I'm not sure but I think the D7500 also has one.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #15
BB&WSF

Quote:
When it comes to getting close to the subject, a APSC may be in advantage here. For example a 50mm lens on APSC gives you the result of a 75mm on full frame. You get closer to your subject. That's why macro photographers like it, it gets you closer to your subject.

Full frame has the advantage in higher ISO values, which are most of the cases a result of:
  • low available light (for example cityscape at night);
  • need to use high shutter speed, which results in higher ISO (car races);
  • combination of those (dance/concert);
If you main goal is statue photography, full frame may be overkill, since you have options to keep the ISO low:
  • add artificial light;
  • use longer exposure time (camera on tripod) since statues don't move, you can take your time;
I can only speak for the D7500 (I'm a Nikon user) out of the ones you mentioned, but this is a good camera to get the job done.
Quote:
IMPORTANT:
There are nice 3rd party macro lenses with Nikon/Canon/... mount available.

But be carefull, some don't have an autofocus engine in the lens. Which means manual focus, unless the camera has a focus motor for the lens.Most Full Frames have one (like my D800e or D810), but my D5200 hasn't. I'm not sure but I think the D7500 also has one.
Great insight, StefanCo! Thank you so much for all the details. Like many new camera enthusiasts, I was looking at full frame as I wanted to shoot the 'best photos' possible. I am currently trying to accept that its actually the photographer and not his camera that matters the most. Thank you for your nod to APSC. Guess I will go for it.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:06 PM   #16
StefanCo
Birdman

Quote:
Great insight, StefanCo! Thank you so much for all the details. Like many new camera enthusiasts, I was looking at full frame as I wanted to shoot the 'best photos' possible. I am currently trying to accept that its actually the photographer and not his camera that matters the most. Thank you for your nod to APSC. Guess I will go for it.

The difference in image quality between the Full Frame and the APSC cameras is on the low ISO hard to see, only pixel peeping (zoomed way in on a computer screen) might show you difference, but in lower ISO and easy photography (like a non-moving statue), the advantage of Full Frame is just not there IMO. I started with APSC, and since I got into dance photography switched to FF, but if I hadn't gotten into dance photography I still would use APSC I think.