Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #111
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I already stated quite clearly why it generally isn't the same thing. Black Panther is the leader of an African nation. Luke Cage was a gang member from Harlem. Making those characters white would not make much sense. But for Johnny Storm, where has his skin color played an important part in his history?
Using your rational didn't matter when I came to casting Heimdall in the Thor movie though, did it? As Mr Yac already explained, Heimdall is a Norse God. The Norsemen are Caucasians. The Name Heimdall even means "Whitest of the Gods". Yet, all that stuff that should have mattered, didn't. Can you imagine if the part of The Black Panther was cast with a white actor? Outrage would be streaming from every media source, and wouldn't stop until it was fixed. Let me clarify here. This would be no different than what was done in casting the character of Heimdall...no different at all.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #112
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
don't because it's true, at what point will people stop -----ing about the need for equality when the most powerful elected man in the world is a supposed "neglected race". racism is always going to exist for some stupid ignorant people, that doesn't mean it has to be the cornerstone of every discussion on race
A minority president has not changed the state of race relations in the U.S. one bit.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #113
MrYac
Hercules

I disagree, I don't think it's helped nearly as much as it should have mind you (largely in my opinion due to the president himself dividing more the uniting) but to say it hasn't changed anything is just either ignorance or the stance on somebody that doesn't want to see any progress made in the world
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #114
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
You need to understand something. It would be different "to you". Not to me, and not to many, many other people.
Then you and many, many other people would be wrong. Tarzan and Ka-zar are from wealthy British aristocracy. That is totally different from Johnny Storm.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #115
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Then you and many, many other people would be wrong. Tarzan and Ka-zar are from wealthy British aristocracy. That is totally different from Johnny Storm.
But you could simply change their back story as you are suggesting for JStorm.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #116
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
and what about Heimdall then, or does being a Norse god not have some baring on the color of his skin, and i'm sure it was totally just a coincidence that the "whitest god" was cast as a black guy and not some PC "teehee we're so progressive" back patting crap
Gods are tricky because they are gods, not people. Yes, it would make more sense that if they are worshipped by Scandinavians, the actors should be all caucasian, but who really knows what these specific Marvel gods really look like? They could all be ancient shape-shifting aliens and therefore have no set skin color as was established in Marvel's Earth X series.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #117
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

If Bruce Banner was black I wonder what color would be the Hulk.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #118
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
A lengthy article about the subject
http://www.racialicious.com/2013/06/...o-color-blind/
Yes, this article explains my point of view very well.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #119
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Gods are tricky because they are gods, not people. Yes, it would make more sense that if they are worshipped by Scandinavians, the actors should be all caucasian, but who really knows what these specific Marvel gods really look like? They could all be ancient shape-shifting aliens and therefore have no set skin color as was established in Marvel's Earth X series.
Your spin doctor skills are amazing.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #120
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
I already stated quite clearly why it generally isn't the same thing. Black Panther is the leader of an African nation. Luke Cage was a gang member from Harlem. Making those characters white would not make much sense. But for Johnny Storm, where has his skin color played an important part in his history?
to answer your question,
from the time he was created back in 1961. he was crated white just as LC and BP was created black. thats where his skin color has played an important part of history.
its the fact that the characters we are talking about have been a certain ethnicity for what ever reason for an x amount of years. and my point is. its ridiculous to change any one of their ethnicity.
for the reason your giving for BP and LC all the more reason for JS to stay white.
its funny how its ok to use the history card for the black characters but not white ones.
sorry but it is "generally" the same thing. Johnny storm has been white for the past 52 years and from NY city. and has been a brother to a white sister. all the more reason why it doesn't make any sense to make him black just for the sake of pleasing or trying to make it up to the black community for what has been done in the past. and just to let you know there are white people who live in Harlem also and are members of gangs there. not all people who live in Harlem are black. so Luke Cage could be changed to a white guy easily just as JS could be. i see your point on Black panther. but Johnny Storm has been a member of a white American superhero team in which history tells us that he has been white (along with all the other team members). your talking about history and so am i when it comes to iconic comic book superheroes who have been one ethnicity for their entire existence for past 52 years. but from what your saying it sounds like your talking more about the politics of ethnicity rather than ethnicity itself.
why isn't a white person's color of their skin as important as that of the black colored characters? its asinine to think its not. LC was a leader of a Harlem gang and BP was a king of an African tribe so their ethnicity should never be changed. i get that. and i agree. but all the same reason why JS's ethnicity shouldn't be changed becasue he is a crucial member of the very first iconic Marvel superhero team. which was all white.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote