Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #511
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
You just don't have a sense of humor.
And the only one who seems to appreciate your brand of humor is you.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #512
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
And the only one who seems to appreciate your brand of humor is you.
I have a silent fanbase.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #513
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
Makes total sense. It's the principle of the thing you're missing, or just don't want to see. The point is it's okay to take white characters and remake them into black characters, but it would be flat out wrong in society's eyes to take a black character and remake them into a white character. It' s plainly a double standard.
I clearly made my point earlier in this thread about how it's totally different which led to people getting very angry and the thread being heavily edited so I'm not going down this road again.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #514
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
As someone who grew up loving the FF, this has me scratching my head more than any other casting in comics history. While it'll likely come down to the writing, the reality is that visually, this is too far removed from what made the FF the greatest comics magazine. Sure, it might even work, but it won't be the FF.

If Marvel, Disney, and Universal are that desperate to create African American heroes, this seems like a backhanded way of doing it as it risks sending the poor message that original or new African American heroes couldn't or can't make it on their own. While I'm aware that people still believe we're a bunch of anal big bang theory types, the reality is that the Marvel brain trust appears too lazy, if not petrified, of taking a risk on a new unknown African American hero. Todd McFarlane took that "risk" a number of years ago and it turned out to be one of the best selling books for a decade.
This FF movie is not by Marvel, Disney or Universal so I don't know why you are making these accusations about those companies.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #515
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Btw, all this race discussion made me realize that black female superheroes are almost nonexistent in comics.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #516
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This FF movie is not by Marvel, Disney or Universal so I don't know why you are making these accusations about those companies.

It was an "insert company name here" comment, i.e, 20th century fox, which appears to be the case.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #517
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
It was an "insert company name here" comment, i.e, 20th century fox, which appears to be the case.
If I'm going to slander a company, I wouldn't use a different company's name as an example. That's just wrong.

And it doesn't apply to Marvel anyway with their current solo books starring Miles Morales and Kamala Khan.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #518
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
Btw, all this race discussion made me realize that black female superheroes are almost nonexistent in comics.
The only two that immediate come to mind are Marvel's Storm and DC's Vixen. I'm certain there are more, but these two are the only high profile black female characters.

Asian superheroes are also lacking.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #519
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
well said.
Thanks HB...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #520
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I clearly made my point earlier in this thread about how it's totally different which led to people getting very angry and the thread being heavily edited so I'm not going down this road again.
Well, I'm not angry. I just disagree with your opinion that the answer to the larger number of white comic book characters to black ones is to take a percentage of the white ones and make them black. That's revisionist pop culture history, and I for one don't want to see that happen. The answer I believe is the right one, is to get creative and create some new amazing characters who are black. I think the Blue Marvel is one such character. Incredibly powerful, with a cool power source, "antimatter", who could be expanded upon in the MU and brought into the cinematic universe. Although, I do think he needs a cooler name than Blue Marvel. How about Proton, Neutron, Collider, Negaton, Negatron, or something better than Blue Marvel. Anyway, I'd love to see some creative juices start flowing and see more interesting and powerful black characters created...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote