Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #71
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

He may put a price tag on it, but he won't even sell at that, at times. $50K for #1 cover, was laughed out of town. When offered $50K, ignores it.

Good point re: Jim Lee. Anyone know how much Hush stuff was when it first came out, anyhow? I heard it was insane for the time, but I have no idea what the actual prices were, and what comic art was going for then.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #72
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

to me his prices are a prime example of what's wrong with today's current modern art pricing and what is trickling into the commission game - only his prices are on steroids.

imo too many artists are focused in on what the 'market' is for art without regarding that their art pieces shouldn't be compared to what the auction results are for silver age or copper art pieces. nor should their commission prices be compared to the top artists in the game.

ultimately what these crazy prices only do is maximize short term gains but hinder long term growth of bringing in a new breed of art collectors.

would any of us be collecting art if the first piece we really wanted was priced at $5k? Or if the first commission we went for was priced at $500?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #73
Mr. Machismo

I agree. And don't get me wrong, I think his prices are ridiculous and absurd, I just REALLY love Court, so sold my other pieces to fund what I picked up. It's absolutely not sustainable or accessible, and is the reason why my purchasing this year will be minimal.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #74
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

I do agree with you Machismo that court of owls was a special arc with great writing and amazing art.

IMO its the best that the new 52 has delivered and should stand well in the Batman myths when other notable modern story arcs like Long Halloween, Hush (which IMO was a bad read), etc are mentioned.

That arc deservedly so should deserve a premium.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #75
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I do agree with you Machismo that court of owls was a special arc with great writing and amazing art.

IMO its the best that the new 52 has delivered and should stand well in the Batman myths when other notable modern story arcs like Long Halloween, Hush (which IMO was a bad read), etc are mentioned.

That arc deservedly so should deserve a premium.
Its really hard for me to rank Court in terms of bats stories of the last 20 years because to me Hush and Long Halloween seem like they were 5 years ago, DKR 20 years ago, Killing Joke 20 years ago, and Year one 15 years ago.....Hush is 15 years old, Long Halloween is 20, DKR is 31, Killing Joke is almost 30, Year One is 30...I'm way off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post
I agree. And don't get me wrong, I think his prices are ridiculous and absurd, I just REALLY love Court, so sold my other pieces to fund what I picked up. It's absolutely not sustainable or accessible, and is the reason why my purchasing this year will be minimal.
A big takeway from this is the fact that Capullo is your guy, Kyle. I'm right there with you. I've sold a ton of art and paid a massive premium for my favorite guys and I don't regret that for one second. As I'm sure you can attest, as a collector, its a thrill to have that one (or more) piece from the guy whose work means the most to you!
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #76
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
A big takeway from this is the fact that Capullo is your guy, Kyle. I'm right there with you. I've sold a ton of art and paid a massive premium for my favorite guys and I don't regret that for one second. As I'm sure you can attest, as a collector, its a thrill to have that one (or more) piece from the guy whose work means the most to you!
When it's the right piece by the right artist, I'm all for overpaying to get the piece. I paid a premium (at the time) for my Lee Bermejo Joker Splash but I knew immediately it was something special and I had to have it. I still have a hard time believing it's in my collection and I've had it for almost 9 years now....11 more years and it goes up for auction.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #77
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

story wise court is definitely better than hush. hush was just a vehicle to have jim lee draw batman and all of the rogue characters for 1 year. his artwork was superb - probably his best work. but the story was terrible.

court is definitely no dkr or killing joke. no where near. but it wasn't too bad.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #78
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

It has been forever since I have read DK and KJ so it might be time to dust them off and give them another read. I will have to pick up the Court arc as well since I haven't read it. I presume Court is collected?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #79
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
It has been forever since I have read DK and KJ so it might be time to dust them off and give them another read. I will have to pick up the Court arc as well since I haven't read it. I presume Court is collected?
Yes it's collected, you can even get an owl mask to wear with one of the collections. It is essential to wear the mask when reading the story or else.....
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #80
Mr. Machismo

They're also releasing Court of Owls Noir in December

Oddly, I preferred DKR the animated films over the comic (blasphemy, I know.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
Yes it's collected, you can even get an owl mask to wear with one of the collections. It is essential to wear the mask when reading the story or else.....
LOL!