Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #111
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

This is a very easy hobby to get caught up in and to be like "I have to have that one". When I started the full size statue collecting, it was exclusively Bowen's and some DC Direct. This was in 2014 when you could still find Bowen statues for a good price on Ebay. Now with how inflated some of those prices are, unless you have a ton of disposable income, I do think that collectors are definitely picking and choosing what they would. Mr Jones's post actually inspired me to do the same with my collection (though I am keeping more than one). Though I am surprised that a few of the Marvel Cosmic characters were not kept since I do know that he does like his Marvel Cosmic beings.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #112
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Reading through this thread, i can understand where/why people have stopped slowed down etc. Money, space, storage space etc etc.. I have been statue collecting for basically 2 years, in general collecting pretty much all my life. At times becoming a packrat with collectibles having to thin the heard out etc..

Right now, i am running out of space. I am starting to have to put pieces back in boxes, rotating when i want to see certain ones. Eventually, im gonna have to cool my jets and not buy so much. I need to get my own place/house etc. Once I've settled in that house balanced the flow of bills/spending cash ill continue. Just need to make the jump to buying a house
This is a huge factor. I've been on my own for years and years and years, however not as a homeowner. Property is notoriously expensive in my province but I'm at the point now I really need to do everything humanly possible if I want to be a homeowner so that is a large factor. If I sell all my statues it puts me in a better spot for that. Good luck in your future. It's not easy being on your own (presumably you are living at home based on your comment) but getting out on your own I firmly believe is imperative to growing up. Unlike most people, I don't think living at home until you are 30+ is healthy for your own personal development. Just my opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
This is a very easy hobby to get caught up in and to be like "I have to have that one". When I started the full size statue collecting, it was exclusively Bowen's and some DC Direct. This was in 2014 when you could still find Bowen statues for a good price on Ebay. Now with how inflated some of those prices are, unless you have a ton of disposable income, I do think that collectors are definitely picking and choosing what they would. Mr Jones's post actually inspired me to do the same with my collection (though I am keeping more than one). Though I am surprised that a few of the Marvel Cosmic characters were not kept since I do know that he does like his Marvel Cosmic beings.
Glad I can help if it makes a hard decision easier. It was for sure a hard decision for me and even still... every piece I sell I wince a little. But only a little. The pros are outweighing the cons big time.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #113
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I don't think living at home until you are 30+ is healthy for your own personal development. Just my opinion though.
Lol, the kid is moving out of my house in two years when he’s 18. If he wants to develop into a 19 year old that is.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #114
nameivom
The Herculoids

Everyone has their own specific set of rules for collecting and when to get out but as a whole we all make mistakes, learn from them and change our collections as time goes on. It is ever fluid and that is what makes collecting fun.

The one rule that I stick by for space purposes is if I need to box it up then I sell it off. I can't stand having something boxed up sitting around and not getting used the way it was intended. Why let it sit taking up space when someone else could possibly enjoy it. I use that outlook with everything I collect. Makes it easier to pass things along when I grow tired of them.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #115
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Reading through this thread, i can understand where/why people have stopped slowed down etc. Money, space, storage space etc etc.. I have been statue collecting for basically 2 years, in general collecting pretty much all my life. At times becoming a packrat with collectibles having to thin the heard out etc..

Right now, i am running out of space. I am starting to have to put pieces back in boxes, rotating when i want to see certain ones. Eventually, im gonna have to cool my jets and not buy so much. I need to get my own place/house etc. Once I've settled in that house balanced the flow of bills/spending cash ill continue. Just need to make the jump to buying a house
good luck with your eventual home buying but if you do not wish to own then do not. Many people I know who have purchased homes ended up regretting it a few years llater. I have always lived in a small apt and I do think that does keep what I own to somewhat of a minimum.

I do think that everyone, at least once in there life should live by themselves where you are solely responsible. I have lived on my since 1990 and have not regretted it.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #116
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Lol, the kid is moving out of my house in two years when he’s 18. If he wants to develop into a 19 year old that is.
I moved out at 21 and it taught me so much. When I was 18 my parents immediately started dropping not so subtle hints. I was pissed at the time, in retrospect I'm thankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
good luck with your eventual home buying but if you do not wish to own then do not. Many people I know who have purchased homes ended up regretting it a few years llater. I have always lived in a small apt and I do think that does keep what I own to somewhat of a minimum.

I do think that everyone, at least once in there life should live by themselves where you are solely responsible. I have lived on my since 1990 and have not regretted it.
Agreed, actual homeownership is not for everyone. It is not better than renting per se. I do think you need to move out though. Especially by 25 max. I am 33 and have some friends who still live at home and it's not a healthy thing.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #117
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Very interesting topic, as someone who abandoned the hobby a few years ago and am just getting back into it now.

The landscape sure has changed from when I felt I was getting awesome SS figures for $300 a pop. Whereas I could buy say 10 of those for $3K, today that buys me 1 XM Import and maybe 1-2 SS pieces. It's a huge difference.

When I was looking around the forums I started a wish list, then added up the cost and it was nearly $30K! That's insane!

I know I need to put limits on both my budget and space - pretty much sticking to my personal office and when I run out of space, that's it. I'm not going to let them spill into other rooms or keep any in storage. When I run out of space, I'll have to carefully curate and sell something if I want an updated piece.

Hopefully that helps keep things in check.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #118
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRogue View Post
Very interesting topic, as someone who abandoned the hobby a few years ago and am just getting back into it now.

The landscape sure has changed from when I felt I was getting awesome SS figures for $300 a pop. Whereas I could buy say 10 of those for $3K, today that buys me 1 XM Import and maybe 1-2 SS pieces. It's a huge difference.

When I was looking around the forums I started a wish list, then added up the cost and it was nearly $30K! That's insane!

I know I need to put limits on both my budget and space - pretty much sticking to my personal office and when I run out of space, that's it. I'm not going to let them spill into other rooms or keep any in storage. When I run out of space, I'll have to carefully curate and sell something if I want an updated piece.

Hopefully that helps keep things in check.
This is what I do. I have a small room. Once it is filled, if I want a new piece, I have to sell an old one.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #119
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
This is what I do. I have a small room. Once it is filled, if I want a new piece, I have to sell an old one.
I think that is a good approach.

It also makes you stop and ask, "Do I really love this piece enough that it deserves to stay in my collection over *insert new awesome piece*".

Let's you really focus on those pieces you love the most without overwhelming your home and bank account.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #120
Mister H
Gen 13

I think prices the way they are now and the hit or miss QC and/or customer service, I think a lot more folks will be taking a hard look at their own collections. I’ll keep some Bowen’s in storage but no big pieces.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote