Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 09-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #21
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

It's based on MK9. All the ladies in MK9 look generic as hell.

They we're never going to do MK11 Jade because she looks too much like a complete character (something Nether Realm have only just started to approach since MKX) and they know people will be more inclined to buy a scantily clad woman and something more akin to her MK3 look.

So i don't know what people are expecting really?
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #22
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

That face sculpt looks really cool
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #23
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
That face sculpt looks really cool
Yeah i like it too, good amount of sass for jade...
Old 09-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #24
dao2
Cyclops

Yes I quite like it as well, though in general I'd prefer masked anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Is this PCS WIP? Not feeling it if it is.
yes it is
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #25
The World
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
That looks..... plain. Certainly lacking Exotic. Not really Edenian, especially the nose shape.
I'll wait to see how the paint app looks before forming a proper opinion.
Also, why the frowning eye-browse?
I prefer the mask portrait. Might look better with white demonic eyes.

Although Jade looked lighter in MK9
She still retained a level of Exotic.
Jade is not light skinned in MK9, she is dark. The early concept artworks like that one you posted is a lighter skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post

They we're never going to do MK11 Jade because she looks too much like a complete character (something Nether Realm have only just started to approach since MKX) and they know people will be more inclined to buy a scantily clad woman and something more akin to her MK3 look.

I would strongly disagree that the MK9 ladies looked generic... maybe Sonya at most. The female ninjas were pretty much their classic designs evolved with a design twist, so I'm not sure how that qualifies as "generic".

The other females were very distinct in designs. If anything, MKX / MK11 looked less unique.
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #26
Raven_Roth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:

MK9 was Jade's best look, by far. MK11 is just washed out colors with no contrast and generic, modern fantasy costume design, doesn't even read like MK.
Raven_Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #27
The World
Justice League

The whole thought of MK11 seemed to be to overload the characters with details or cover them up to all heaven.

It's impressive in terms of detail... but design wise it forgets the basic concept of keeping things simple. Many characters don't even look like themselves in that game.

There's a reason why the old designs are timeless and the new designs are just well...designs we probably won't see return again.

I bet if it wasn't for the "mature and respectful" approach the developers cited, then the MK9 outfits would probably be back in. They just put the MK3 outfits back in recently even.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #28
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

The women in MK9 look awful, the costumes are better versions of the klassic looks for sure, but the actual models and face designs are not imo...

Nether Realm just sticking strong female characters in bikinis all day long became incredibly boring and lazy, they're female designs over all the MK games have been awful...the MKX and MK11 designs are far far better and more natural imo.

PCS putting doing their own sculpt and face is a very good thing for this sculpt.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #29
Raven_Roth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Just because a costume is revealing doesn't mean it lacks creative merit. MKX has some of the muddiest, colorless and forgettable costume design I've seen in the series. MK11 is somewhat better, but does still feels doesn't capture the classic, vibrant, comic-style costumes that felt distinctly MK.

MK should be about striking, over-the-top designs that aren't focused on practicality and reality. MKX and MK11 also reek of social justice pandering, which I find blatantly at odds with the spirit of MK. I'd literally take any other of her primary costumes over her tepid MK11 designs.
Raven_Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #30
The World
Justice League

Quote:
The women in MK9 look awful, the costumes are better versions of the klassic looks for sure, but the actual models and face designs are not imo...

Nether Realm just sticking strong female characters in bikinis all day long became incredibly boring and lazy, they're female designs over all the MK games have been awful...the MKX and MK11 designs are far far better and more natural imo.

PCS putting doing their own sculpt and face is a very good thing for this sculpt.
Honestly, I chalk this up more to either limitations of hardware or experience with modeling at the time.

The characters on MK9 for sure had issues with shoulders being too broad, skeletons looking a bit weird, etc.

As far as the face design for sure, it's a lot better in MK11 and I would expect so with a gap of 8 years between the release of the games.

But calling the outfits bikinis is a bit disingenuous. They're very well designed and being iconic/well received with the fanbase speaks for itself.

You state that the female character designs of MKX and MK11 are more natural, but what is natural about Mortal Kombat? That is a contradiction to the entire point of it being over the top.

I think time will speak for itself here. Nobody will remember the MKX or MK11 designs, I'm sure of that.