Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 04-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #171
1to6Collector
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea625 View Post
Need some advice if anyone can give it.

I recently bought two of the Classic Thor's and the paint on the circles on his chest is chipped on both. Seems to be a QC issue with Iron Studios. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what would be the best way to repaint/patch-up the chipping?
You could try using Citadel acrylic paints (by Games Workshop) - could basecoat the damage buttons in a chaos black first (or skip this) then choose a metallic paint (that matches the closest) and dry brush it on (perhaps in a circular motion to match the shading going on) - might have to repaint all buttons for a uniform look if the touchup is noticably different.

If your not happy with your paint job can try removing quickly with water/ wetwipe as its acyrilic (before it dries) or carefully using 70% rubbing alcohol if its dried.

If your happy with paint job - could go extra mile and seal buttons with a clear coat (to protect it from further scratches) - using a bit of 'Future floor polish' mixed with a bit of Citadel Flat base for a satin finish and simply apply with brush.

Or could just imagine Thor had a minor scuff with the Hulk
1to6Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #172
1to6Collector
Frackin!

On closer inspection- might need to gently sand down the scratched paint (if surface is scuffed and uneven) - using tamiya 1200- 2000 grit sand paper.

Its going to be hard to achieve the same original look as the shading on the buttons look like they been built up using an airbrush.

I tried to remove a minor paint issue on Captain America, but gave up when I realised their paint job is very durable - didn't want to come off - even with some 91% rubbing alcohol - which in a way is kind of good to know
Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #173
built2shred
Phoenix

I didn't have that issue with mine.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #174
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Unfortunately my Thor is in USPS limbo somewhere so I can't compare it to Bea625's. I swear, unless it's Amazon the postal service doesn't give a crap about where packages end up going.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #175
Bea625
Fantastic Four

Looks like it's definitely a problem. The issue is that they wrap a plastic, sticky material right over the buttons and it seems to damage the paint on most. I may just try to find someone who can paint this a simple grey. Doesn't have to be perfect.

1to6Collector - Thanks for the advice. I may try to get my wife to attempt this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Studio...oAAOSwdhla4Lfa
Bea625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #176
1to6Collector
Frackin!

Cool hope it goes well - I wonder if the buttons pop off... If so could get metallic spray paint out - smooth durable job done in seconds then superglue back on when dry.

Master Pizza - hope it turns up ok. Take it you live in US otherwise I'd order direct from a Brazilian ebay seller. Tends to work out cheaper and so far haven't got stung for Import Vat/duty. Can vouch for Kinotoys off of ebay
Old 04-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #177
Master Pizza

Thanks 1to6Collector. I've actually bought my 3 previous Iron Studios pieces off ebay. This one I got from a retailer that I wanted to try out for the first time because it was still cheaper to get this from them. Through no fault of their own it was not a great experience and I will order from them again, just use a different shipping method. THANK GOD FOR GOOD NEIGHBORS! The postal carrier delivered my package to another house in the neighborhood. Different street number and different block, but hey anybody can make that mistake right????????? Anyway, neighbor who I haven't even met before hand delivered package to my house.

And yeah there is a QC problem here with the plastic wrapping but mine isn't nearly as bad as Bea625. I can see(and feel) the grooves from the plastic where it was wrapped around those buttons, but there aren't sections of paint missing. Weird thing is they wrap other parts of the statue and there's nothing wrong that I can see, which makes me think the buttons might be a different media. Or maybe they used a different type of paint?

QC issue aside, I love this statue. I finally have a Thor, and its the classic version. Does anyone have Captain America? The videos I've watched on youtube look good but I don't speak Portuguese and can't tell if the reviewers have any complaints or problems with it.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #178
1to6Collector
Frackin!

God that's annoying when they deliver to the wrong house - lucky its a good neighbour!! I don't trust mine lol.

Yeah I got Captain America just last week and real glad I did - IMO he really fits in and adds to the collection (was just going to collect X-men only)
He reminds me of this Jim Lee cover
Old 04-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #179
Master Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1to6Collector View Post
God that's annoying when they deliver to the wrong house - lucky its a good neighbour!! I don't trust mine lol.

Yeah I got Captain America just last week and real glad I did - IMO he really fits in and adds to the collection (was just going to collect X-men only)
He reminds me of this Jim Lee cover
Thanks. Good to know.

And of course that issue would have to be one of the few I'm missing in my Uncanny X-Men collection from back in the day.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #180
Bea625
Fantastic Four

So, this is about as good as I could do on my own. It actually looks better in person. I didn’t need the repaint to be perfect, but it’ll do. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62B35B76-B0A7-4418-A6ED-76615CCC1E0F.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	113445   Click image for larger version

Name:	E8C3ED83-A8E1-48BD-AE40-2311549C08C1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	113446  
Bea625 is offline   Reply With Quote