Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #231
Savage
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I'd be all over this if this was modern armour variant!
Modern would be rock even more
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 AM   #232
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I'm hoping they make the modern version before the faux bronze.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #233
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I can understand the concerns over the change o hand. But I think Bowen has pulled this off. It could have looked so cheesy but I like it.
Oh, my concern isn't that the spinning hammer looks cheesy or anything. I think this came out phenomenally well. I'd like the hand-clenching-Mjnolnir option to go better with the Silver Surfer #4 cover diorama I have planned for this piece and the Bowen FS action Surfer statue.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #234
chezzrok
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I LOVE it!
Randy, me we have both hands and head sculpts, interchangeably?
I am certain that would rock!
also, the thing looks AMAZING from the FF4
Surtur is AWESOME!
Faux Bronze shifflet Thanos I WILL own one!
Gene Colan Dracula, can we wee some Wip's?
chezzrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #235
pdenham
Teen Titans

I Guess I'll have to be the one to be that guy

Overall, It's a very cool looking piece, and I have to give Randy props for attempting it. Mostly he pulled it off very well, but there are a couple areas that I think were not thought out as well as they could have been.
1) The angle of the Hammers arc doesn't make sense to me. The way he is holding the strap, the swing radius and angle should be determined by how his forearm is pivoting.
The plane of the hammer head(s) look to be at about 75-80 degrees, when it would be more like 30-45 degrees -although to be honest, I would have preferred to see the forearm slightly angled also, as the rigid 90 degree bend doesn't look exactly fluid or kinetic for the action implied.
Also, just coloring one of the hammers looks awkward. If you are trying to imply motion blur- none of the hammers should be separate or distinct, they should all be exhibiting a half distinct, half blur coloring. You could probably get the effect down quickly and easily with an airbrush since the idea is to be expressive more so than objective in this instance.

2) the cape on one side of the figure appears to be constructed of very different material than the same cape on the other side of the figure. On Thor's right side, the cape looks to be in keeping with how it is generally illustrated for this character- very heavy, dense fabric that causes it to billow and arc in a broad way. On the figures left side, suddenly the capes material is light enough to display a bunch of erratic fragmentation wrinkles. The people that have been criticizing the cape are right- it's not only too busy and therefore inappropriately emphasized, it's inconsistent with how the cape should behave, and does behave elsewhere on the piece. It looks like a case of the artist being self consciously 'arty' and losing focus on the piece as a whole.

I'm sure for most people, these will be pedantic nit-picks. I'm just offering them as constructive criticism. As it is, the piece still kicks all kinds of @ss- there's just those couple areas right now that I think keep it from being the grand slam home run it should be.
pdenham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #236
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post

Overall, It's a very cool looking piece, and I have to give Randy props for attempting it. Mostly he pulled it off very well, but there are a couple areas that I think were not thought out as well as they could have been.
1) The angle of the Hammers arc doesn't make sense to me. The way he is holding the strap, the swing radius and angle should be determined by how his forearm is pivoting.
The plane of the hammer head(s) look to be at about 75-80 degrees, when it would be more like 30-45 degrees -although to be honest, I would have preferred to see the forearm slightly angled also, as the rigid 90 degree bend doesn't look exactly fluid or kinetic for the action implied.
Also, just coloring one of the hammers looks awkward. If you are trying to imply motion blur- none of the hammers should be separate or distinct, they should all be exhibiting a half distinct, half blur coloring. You could probably get the effect down quickly and easily with an airbrush since the idea is to be expressive more so than objective in this instance.

2) the cape on one side of the figure appears to be constructed of very different material than the same cape on the other side of the figure. On Thor's right side, the cape looks to be in keeping with how it is generally illustrated for this character- very heavy, dense fabric that causes it to billow and arc in a broad way. On the figures left side, suddenly the capes material is light enough to display a bunch of erratic fragmentation wrinkles. The people that have been criticizing the cape are right- it's not only too busy and therefore inappropriately emphasized, it's inconsistent with how the cape should behave, and does behave elsewhere on the piece. It looks like a case of the artist being self consciously 'arty' and losing focus on the piece as a whole.

I'm sure for most people, these will be pedantic nit-picks. I'm just offering them as constructive criticism. As it is, the piece still kicks all kinds of @ss- there's just those couple areas right now that I think keep it from being the grand slam home run it should be.
and a really smart one
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #237
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Excellent critique. While i think the spinning hammer looks cool your right about the hand location and the angle the hammer is spinning in relation to the hand/arm position. The cape although very impressive has never looked right to me either. But overall I think we can forgive these inaccuracies as most appear to love the piece.

But I'd set your post as an example on how to critique a piece respectfully. Good job.

Quote:

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #238
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I was thinking it would be funny if Thor got his cape caught in his spinning hammer.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #239
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:

Now THAT'S how you go about criticizing
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #240
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Oh, my concern isn't that the spinning hammer looks cheesy or anything. I think this came out phenomenally well. I'd like the hand-clenching-Mjnolnir option to go better with the Silver Surfer #4 cover diorama I have planned for this piece and the Bowen FS action Surfer statue.
I'm looking forward to the same opportunity.

If there is no change o-hand, no biggie but it would be nice.
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote