Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #451
Gothamite
Phoenix

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #452
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I do like that grouping alot. I have the Black Canary one but seeing the entire group looks very impressive
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #453
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I do like that grouping alot. I have the Black Canary one but seeing the entire group looks very impressive
Even at full MSRP of $45/$50, they're some of the best values on the market.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #454
banner23
Justice League

These statues turned out very good, you wonder why Sideshow can't hire someone to make them better especially with what they are charging for them.
banner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #455
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileRock View Post
Yes, Mike Tolentino even said at one point in the video they wanted to create the idealized version of the characters.
What I take about this phrase is that they thought they could make it better than the previous existing models, their "Idealized" version. Not that they couldn't represent Bruce Timm artwork.
And this was part of my point. The entire line isn’t supposed to be based on Batman or Superman the Animated Series. These are mostly sideshow’s interpretations of animated versions. It says so on the product pages for Batman and Superman. People can like or not like whatever they want, but you can’t expect something (an exact cartoon likenesses to a very specific cartoon) that was never supposed to be the case to begin with.

Hence, they made their own version of an animated Joker, not a direct translation from any one cartoon version. Not much different than SS’s approach to comic inspired statues lately. This Joker just seems to not have gone over as well with many on this forum as their made up Batman and Superman.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #456
CrocodileRock
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
And this was part of my point. The entire line isn’t supposed to be based on Batman or Superman the Animated Series. These are mostly sideshow’s interpretations of animated versions. It says so on the product pages for Batman and Superman. People can like or not like whatever they want, but you can’t expect something (an exact cartoon likenesses to a very specific cartoon) that was never supposed to be the case to begin with.

Hence, they made their own version of an animated Joker, not a direct translation from any one cartoon version. Not much different than SS’s approach to comic inspired statues lately. This Joker just seems to not have gone over as well with many on this forum as their made up Batman and Superman.
My point is when original designs are perfect and they are part of the collective imaginary of all the people who grow up with one of the best animated series of all time, thinking you can top that with your own sideshow version is just stupid if you have the full license.

Give the people who'll pay for it what they want.

And the fact that it was their propose since the beginning to make their own "idealized" version doesn't make it right if the ending result is not "ideal".
CrocodileRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #457
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

The animated designs are too iconic to mess with. Even if you get it close, something is still going to look off. I do think that the other statues turned out much better than Joker though. If they were $100 or so cheaper, I'd have ordered them.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #458
CrocodileRock
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
The animated designs are too iconic to mess with. Even if you get it close, something is still going to look off. I do think that the other statues turned out much better than Joker though. If they were $100 or so cheaper, I'd have ordered them.
Fair point, but even if they are not perfect, which is very difficult to make because they are not 3D in the first place, other brands have proved that it can be done without overcharging and without making their own "idealized" version(as Gothamite showed with diamond select at 45$ a piece) or these:

CrocodileRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #459
prototypy
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileRock View Post
Fair point, but even if they are not perfect, which is very difficult to make because they are not 3D in the first place, other brands have proved that it can be done without overcharging and without making their own "idealized" version(as Gothamite showed with diamond select at 45$ a piece) or these:

DCC did very good job on this series. But won't have it because of material. It has been a long time that I do not purchase plastic/PVC figure.Well Sideshow animated series is polystone.
prototypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #460
Hunter Frost
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Smile Wrong side of the litter box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
This is SS, of course they are going to make Poison Ivy and Catwoman.
I can’t help but think you seem upset about that.
Hunter Frost is offline   Reply With Quote