Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-10-2024, 05:01 PM   #1001
cooljellow
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
China seller means it is probably a fake. If they drop ship from JND how do they have a pic of the box?

They have 7500 items listed, but only a few hundred feedback. Seems very shady...
It looks like they get the item shipped to them, then reship from China.

Here is what the seller said about the process:

When you pay the order, we pay the full amount to the studio. We will check whether the package is intact after receiving it, then take photos for you, and reinforce the package to avoid damage during transportation.
cooljellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #1002
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljellow View Post
It seems most resellers on eBay are based in China.
Is there a way for me to tell if the product is legit once I have it on hand?
That's like asking if the food is poisoned after you've eaten it...

Most people here have been warning you to avoid these ebay Chinese sellers. There's a reason for that....

There is no easy way to distinguish a decent counterfeit statue from a legit one, and even more so if you don't own / have access to an original JND piece to make a side by side comparison. The only thing that would alert you that the piece is fake, is if the figure was of exceptionally poor quality.....but even here, if you've never seen a JND piece in the flesh, what a season customer to the brand, might consider poor quality, might be amazing for you, especially if you're only used to Sideshow or the like.....no offense.

Which statues do you want to buy? I ask because you've posted a similar question in multiple JND threads, and apart from a relatively small number of JND pieces, most are still available to buy through recognized retailers....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 06:38 PM   #1003
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Quote:

When you pay the order, we pay the full amount to the studio. We will check whether the package is intact after receiving it, then take photos for you, and reinforce the package to avoid damage during transportation.
Let me make this more clear, I would not order from an eBay Chinese seller under any circumstances. Not worth the risk, plus the less money that goes that way the better. It's bad enough we have so many things produced there as it is. They are not trustworthy-at best.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 09:37 PM   #1004
cooljellow
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
That's like asking if the food is poisoned after you've eaten it...

Most people here have been warning you to avoid these ebay Chinese sellers. There's a reason for that....

There is no easy way to distinguish a decent counterfeit statue from a legit one, and even more so if you don't own / have access to an original JND piece to make a side by side comparison. The only thing that would alert you that the piece is fake, is if the figure was of exceptionally poor quality.....but even here, if you've never seen a JND piece in the flesh, what a season customer to the brand, might consider poor quality, might be amazing for you, especially if you're only used to Sideshow or the like.....no offense.

Which statues do you want to buy? I ask because you've posted a similar question in multiple JND threads, and apart from a relatively small number of JND pieces, most are still available to buy through recognized retailers....
Sorry, I just joined this forum. I'm not a veteran collector, and don't have other statues. The only other thread where I posted on this topic was on JND Superman, where I first encountered the discussion of counterfeits. Then I thought I'd post on this thread because the statue in question is JND Harley.

I wasn't previously aware people were counterfeiting JND statues until I encountered the discussion on JND Superman. I very recently bought from the seller on eBay (product in transit) prior to discovering this forum.
I had searched around and the only place that still had JND Harley available was eBay, which has purchase protection.

At this point, I am asking advice on how to spot a fake. My thoughts are to ask the seller about the invoice, and then check with JND whether they shipped to this merchant?
Old 03-11-2024, 12:14 AM   #1005
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Sorry, I just joined this forum. I'm not a veteran collector, and don't have other statues. The only other thread where I posted on this topic was on JND Superman, where I first encountered the discussion of counterfeits. Then I thought I'd post on this thread because the statue in question is JND Harley.

I wasn't previously aware people were counterfeiting JND statues until I encountered the discussion on JND Superman. I very recently bought from the seller on eBay (product in transit) prior to discovering this forum.
I had searched around and the only place that still had JND Harley available was eBay, which has purchase protection.

At this point, I am asking advice on how to spot a fake. My thoughts are to ask the seller about the invoice, and then check with JND whether they shipped to this merchant?
Ok, well - welcome to the forum, and welcome to the "hobby".

Unfortunately, you might have just made your first, and most significant mistake / lesson learned in this hobby - scamming is real. I don't want to label a whole country or society as "corrupt" - but unfortunately, Chinese fakes and ebay go together like a hand in a glove.....

I hope you got a significant discount over retail buying this piece, as its likely to be suspect at best - a terrible poor quality counterfeit at worst.

Once it arrives, reach out to us on this forum - I would recommend taking extensive photos of the piece, and asking a forum member who owns the Harley piece, to conduct a virtual comparison. I own the Harley piece, and I'm happy to help, as I'm sure others are. This is not a 100% fool proof method of detection, but it's better than nothing.

I assume, if we are fast enough with the "investigation" - you may be able to get a refund if we find the piece to be "bogus"....such an investigation might also be educational to others (even seasoned collectors) - especially as it would allow us to see just how developed these potential fakes are.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 12:28 AM   #1006
cooljellow
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Ok, well - welcome to the forum, and welcome to the "hobby".

Unfortunately, you might have just made your first, and most significant mistake / lesson learned in this hobby - scamming is real. I don't want to label a whole country or society as "corrupt" - but unfortunately, Chinese fakes and ebay go together like a hand in a glove.....

I hope you got a significant discount over retail buying this piece, as its likely to be suspect at best - a terrible poor quality counterfeit at worst.

Once it arrives, reach out to us on this forum - I would recommend taking extensive photos of the piece, and asking a forum member who owns the Harley piece, to conduct a virtual comparison. I own the Harley piece, and I'm happy to help, as I'm sure others are. This is not a 100% fool proof method of detection, but it's better than nothing.

I assume, if we are fast enough with the "investigation" - you may be able to get a refund if we find the piece to be "bogus"....such an investigation might also be educational to others (even seasoned collectors) - especially as it would allow us to see just how developed these potential fakes are.
Well, I will try to get a paper trail and then check directly with JND.
And no, it was not a discount to retail. As you can see from the listing, it is marked up over retail.

Sure, I will also post photos once I get it.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:55 PM   #1007
skizzoid
Doh!

Quote:

Several other collectors have voiced similar concerns, but this situation feels fishy- I find it hard to believe an ebay seller in China has a unit sitting in the JND warehouse (in China or Korea) waiting to ship once the seller pays JND for it. Storage space is expensive, and I can't see why JND would want to keep any stock available (especially for an item that's sold out at the retailer level). At best, there's a translation error where the seller's referring to their own warehouse in China; at worst, it's a blatant lie.

I also wouldn't expect much response from JND given customer privacy concerns- I wouldn't want them confirming any details about my purchase to a random third party, even if they had a copy of my shipping invoice. Maybe that's relaxed with retailers, but I wouldn't expect much.

Hope this works out for you though. And as much as I hate ebay's Purchase Protection (as a seller), it may end up protecting you here if it ends up being a fake.
skizzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:10 AM   #1008
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzoid View Post
Several other collectors have voiced similar concerns, but this situation feels fishy- I find it hard to believe an ebay seller in China has a unit sitting in the JND warehouse (in China or Korea) waiting to ship once the seller pays JND for it. Storage space is expensive, and I can't see why JND would want to keep any stock available (especially for an item that's sold out at the retailer level). At best, there's a translation error where the seller's referring to their own warehouse in China; at worst, it's a blatant lie.

I also wouldn't expect much response from JND given customer privacy concerns- I wouldn't want them confirming any details about my purchase to a random third party, even if they had a copy of my shipping invoice. Maybe that's relaxed with retailers, but I wouldn't expect much.

Hope this works out for you though. And as much as I hate ebay's Purchase Protection (as a seller), it may end up protecting you here if it ends up being a fake.
Even if eBay sides with him, he might have to pay to return the item to China (with signature confirmation due to value) which would cost hundreds of dollars and no way to know if it will get refunded.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:13 AM   #1009
cooljellow
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Even if eBay sides with him, he might have to pay to return the item to China (with signature confirmation due to value) which would cost hundreds of dollars and no way to know if it will get refunded.
If it turns out to be counterfeit, I will get a refund either through eBay or the credit card company.

I'm not going to pay hundreds shipping it back, you can be sure of that.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:15 AM   #1010
cooljellow
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzoid View Post

You're right, the explanation from the seller sounds fishy - I will need to clarify.

As for JND, they have been very responsive on this. They don't need to reveal any details for me to figure out if its fake.