Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Friends of Northstar

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #4351
Merlose
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Henry is great (he'd be a superb Clark Kent) but Betty and Daniel are made for each other!
yeah its the ultimate fairytale ending, the ugly girl ending up with the hot stud.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #4352
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Henry is great (he'd be a superb Clark Kent) but Betty and Daniel are made for each other!
Actually, if you see the later episodes of the show, you'd see that Amanda is really head over heels in love with Daniel.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #4353
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlose View Post
yeah its the ultimate fairytale ending, the ugly girl ending up with the hot stud.
Yeah the "hot stud" that was called the "man *****" at the beginning of the season .. I just don't see it.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #4354
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Wow. Well, I respect those positions, even though I can't agree with them myself. Personally, I thought it was a hilarious show, though more so in the early years than the latter, when it got too self-indulgent. But I found most of the humor pretty amazing, especially George Constanza's character. But to each their own.
After I lived in NY I feel I understood the show so much more. I appreciated and like it so much more.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #4355
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
I love dry wit too, but I'd take Frasier for clever writing and Friends for character-based humour any day of the week. Both were consistently laugh-out-loud for me, Seinfeld never did it. It was never the success in the UK that the others were, though admittedly the BBC scheduled the hell out of it. It takes all sorts!
FRIENDS???????????????????

Ughh! I hate that show with a passion. I can find no redeeming value for it.

Frasier is much better.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #4356
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
I'd agree with you on Friends, even given their propensity for indulgence themselves (which grew to monstrous proportion in the last couple of seasons, when they realized that they could literally do nothing to lose their audience...), because the character dynamic were what held that show together. Absolutely.
You too??

I couldn't stand a single character on that show.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #4357
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Mike, you seem very assertive in your dislike of things. What sort of sitcoms/movies/T.V. shows were your favorites? Just to give a point of reference?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #4358
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
Mike, you seem very assertive in your dislike of things. What sort of sitcoms/movies/T.V. shows were your favorites? Just to give a point of reference?
He is having a very "top" kinda attitude today isn't he.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #4359
Merlose
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
He is having a very "top" kinda attitude today isn't he.
Don't get too excited Jesse
Old 08-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #4360
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
I can see your point on Frasier (in truth, I was young when I watched Cheers so I can't necessarily offer up much analysis other than I enjoyed it and loved the early years more than the so-so later ones, when the plots went screwy) but I think it got away with it more often than it didn't. Maybe I'm naturally disposed to be more accepting of pure English farce, but even in farce-based episodes you could always rely on Frasier or (more likely) Niles to deliver some incredible lines.

Frasier's 'I am not a man' declaration on his radio show remains one of my favourite pieces of writing of all-time, and I loved the physical comedy of Niles' restaurant trip after he'd been to the dentist.

When I like a show, it tends to be character based and I'm more interested in a happy romantic ending - I'm rooting for Ross and Rachel, Chandler and Monica, Niles and Daphne, Betty and Daniel, and (when it all comes down to it) David and Maddie. With Seinfeld, in all honesty I wouldn't wish any of the characters on any of the others, or anyone else.
I hear you, Jess. And I totally agree with you on all this, actually--Frasier did manage some great lines, even in the thick of an episode I didn't care for. And I'm a sucker for characters I care about. (And I'm thrilled that you mentioned David and Maddie--two of my favorite characters of all time, on one of my favorite shows!)
Closed Thread