Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 01-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #11
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I think the original Koto Carnage (which I have and love) is the closest you'll get. Even that one, the black is raised slightly. I imagine you'll never get exactly what you're describing as comic-accurate, as that would be incredibly hard to engineer/paint. (Would be cool as hell to see them try a black and red swirl paint job. Probably wouldn't turn out like classic Carnage, more like a fan interpretation.)

I'm not a Storm fan, but I've followed the costume discussion over there, and I look at this similarly. Portraying this character in 2D, two-color artwork is an extreme limitation on original intent.

To portray a 3D sculpt of that 2D artwork would result in an incredibly cartoonish, action figure-like character, imo. Maybe if Bowen were still around. PCS' cel-shaded Transformers line also comes to mind as a step in that direction.
Great points.

There is the Bowen though. That’s probably the closest to OG comic texture, would need more black though. And they didn’t put any tendrils on him. Although I can see how this may be boring to most collectors without the typical texture most larger statues of him have on the red parts. I’ve never been concerned with texture for textures sake just to have more details. I like capturing the original intent and this guy was supposed to be liquidy not crunchy lol.

This was one of my earliest comics, so that’s probably why I have an ideal Carnage to begin with.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #12
GaryTonge
Kingpin

I think I'm the only one who likes the candle wax look to the XM Carnage. Lol. I think it looks organic and vicious. The base on the previous one is very dull though, and I would have preferred the richer sandstone colour that the proto had. I also wanted to see symbiote goo climbing up it. I might get mine customized something like this:

Of course it depends on what the new will look like. If I like it better, I'll be selling the first XM.

Sosa's Carnage was quite nice too. They did a nice job of creating a textured look with the symbiote, without going overboard. The Bowen always felt a little too flat for me.

GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #13
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Great points.

There is the Bowen though. That’s probably the closest to OG comic texture, would need more black though. And they didn’t put any tendrils on him. Although I can see how this may be boring to most collectors without the typical texture most larger statues of him have on the red parts. I’ve never been concerned with texture for textures sake just to have more details. I like capturing the original intent and this guy was supposed to be liquidy not crunchy lol.

This was one of my earliest comics, so that’s probably why I have an ideal Carnage to begin with.
I had never seen that Bowen, or glossed over it when googling. You're right, that is pretty faithful. It simultaneously looks decent, but also a little too "toy" to me. Maybe it's just the paint chosen? Looks a little metallic?

See now, that comic looks like the Koto/Sosa Carnage, to me. I love it.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #14
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I think I'm the only one who likes the candle wax look to the XM Carnage. Lol. I think it looks organic and vicious. The base on the previous one is very dull though, and I would have preferred the richer sandstone colour that the proto had. I also wanted to see symbiote goo climbing up it. I might get mine customized something like this:

Of course it depends on what the new will look like. If I like it better, I'll be selling the first XM.

Sosa's Carnage was quite nice too. They did a nice job of creating a textured look with the symbiote, without going overboard. The Bowen always felt a little too flat for me.
I think we're of a mind. Those are the two Carnage I have. Love them both. I doubt I'll sell the XM even if I get the new one.

I love the texture to the XM Carnage, but I'm open to several interpretations of it. I haven't cared for either SS rendition however. Theirs just looks like muscle fiber, the skin having been ripped off. I don't get that.

I haven't had a major problem with the base, but I do really like those changes to it you mention!
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #15
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post

That customized look makes OG much nicer . I like Symbiote climbing architecture
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #16
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
That customized look makes OG much nicer . I like Symbiote climbing architecture
Thanks man! I'm sure a painter can make it look cooler than that, but that's the general look I'm going for.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #17
maximus_73
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Looks like there is a great chance to redo Spiderman and sinister 6 again soon.... all statue characters will get recycled every 5 years.
maximus_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:24 AM   #18
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

I hope not ... no reason to redo some statues as they are perfect like Scorpion or Hulkbuster etc. I don’t think they will in short term
Old 01-16-2021, 04:54 AM   #19
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I hope not ... no reason to redo some statues as they are perfect like Scorpion or Hulkbuster etc. I don’t think they will in short term
Valid, but being perfect isn’t a reason to not redo a character. There’s plenty of people like me that don’t have Scorpion, didn’t PO him at the time due whatever reasons, would love to have one, but aren’t paying the aftermarket on the existing one. I’d love to have a Scorpion. The existing one is excellent but there’s so many poses and concepts, no way another great one can’t be achieved. And if there’s enough interest for them to project there’d be enough sales it doesn’t make sense for XM to leave money on the table.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #20
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Don’t think you will see another Scorpion my two cents . It costs too much to make these if there was enough interest in the first one they would have made more than 300 ES which there was not . This is not a 999 type ES character but you never know I guess

People want this now because it’s sought after and what stopped anyone from preordering this when it was available ? Nothing . So the aftermarket dictated the price which as a Spiderman fan I buy every piece they release no matter what then decide after what to do . I don’t chase statues after the fact because it’s a ripoff lol