Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Statue bubble or just a buyers resale paradise?

Are we now in a saturated statue collecting market, sometimes referred to as a bubble? Or a buyers resale paradise? A buyers market in the open buy/sell/trade world? Sideshow TBD edition sizes, XM with their Made To Order process, Prime 1 reducing edition sizes after the fact and a fire sale this month. Prices reaching all time highs. Maybe too many players in the statue game?

My thoughts are that we are now in that very bubble we so often allude or speak directly about. However, I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet. But I would recommend each of us to be aware that we are now in that time where if you like to buy and sell, that sell part will be taking a hit. If you're in it to collect, some great pieces, choices, and investments by the statue companies to get your money with amazing artists and concepts.

What will 2019 look like? I think it will be the year of reduced edition sizes, statue companies looking for niches, Sideshow increasing their distribution presence, and a major reduction in "fan art" with the continued crack down. I know for me I have already become more selective and already looking to close out my interest from buying these awesome pieces instead to just enjoying what the rest of you buy from a distance in the social media world.

Happy collecting!
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if this bubble has further to go and I alswo wouldn't be surprised if one of the weaker companies closes shop. I'm also more selective and purchasing a lot less than I used to.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Gothamite
Phoenix

Every couple of months, these threads are started by people who've run out of space. They seem to forget that new people eager to fill their homes join the hobby all the time.

Are some statues (Kotobukiya) over-priced? Sure. Is the sky falling? No.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

At some point most wont buy anymore, imagine $1,000 PF, then $1,200. When PF were in $200.00s and 1/5 were in $100.00s I would buy any piece I liked, today I buy a piece here and there. I have the money just not it worth to me to buy most statues anymore. We should also throw stupid shipping, I shipped a 40lbs Skaar PF to Florida in 2014 at $70.00 range, just sent an item to Florida and it was $9.00 at 0.3 oz. that is a joke. This now gobbles up so much money, some statues I sell half what I get goes to shipping. This also makes me want to buy less and less.

My Apoc PF I can't sell no one wants to pay much and what I get offered barley covers shipping and fees, I have so many pieces like that now. The retail market is going to be like resell market, when most refuse to pay those amount anymore. I have no idea how long this market can keep this up, could be years. I know I am out in another years or two.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Who charged you $9 for .3oz?
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

USPS. I was surprised, I thought would be like $1.50 or something like that.
About 2015 or so someone bought my T2 PF, forgot his ammo belt, so had to send it to him that was about 1 oz and Fed Ex charged $5.00, so I guess should not be surprised.
Use to ship 1/4 PF from west coast to east coast for about $10.00 to $20.00, now it cost more than that to go few hundred miles
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
gorocketcat
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post

My Apoc PF I can't sell no one wants to pay much and what I get offered barley covers shipping and fees, I have so many pieces like that now. The retail market is going to be like resell market, when most refuse to pay those amount anymore. I have no idea how long this market can keep this up, could be years. I know I am out in another years or two.
It largely depends on the piece. The Apoc PF was a dud. I resold him at about a $100 loss, since no one - myself included - wanted him.

Yet, Captain Marvel now goes well above retail. In the 7-800 range, if I'm not mistake. I'm kicking myself for sleeping on that one.

I will agree though that larger ES sizes, the amount of statues coming out each and every month, and the exponential increase in prices have killed the "collectible" "investment" aspect of the hobby. Luckily I was never in it for that.
gorocketcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

All I know is that I highly doubt I'll ever be able to profit off of my Wolverine SS that recently came out - with its 2500 ES and 4000 regular editions. It might take quite a while for SS to even sell their copies.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Every couple of months, these threads are started by people who've run out of space. They seem to forget that new people eager to fill their homes join the hobby all the time.

Are some statues (Kotobukiya) over-priced? Sure. Is the sky falling? No.
I wonder if there are many new people joining this hobby as there was several years ago, the jumping in price point has gone up a lot... even to get into the smaller scale statues like 1/10 your looking around $100 per statue...

When you could get a 1/4 scale statue for $250 it was a lot more temping to get into this hobby.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
slynger
Hellboy

Being a collector who started small with the GG busts and then going to a couple of Prime1 pieces with some "fan art" pieces, it has been interesting (and depressing) to see how the prices have been progressing.

I am lucky enough to have hit that spot in my collection where I have all the pieces I want (with a couple on PO) and am about to make my exit from this awesome hobby we all share.

I truly hope it's not a "true" bubble, not only for my sake, but for all my fellow collectors out there. I think this is just a bump in the road where the game is changing, the prices are going up, SS is becoming more of a distributor and so on. Everything will right itself, but big changes usually require big chunks of time.

Patience.
slynger is offline   Reply With Quote