Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Poordevil
Doh!

Snow Giants statue is broke...

Yea, my Conan statue is busted. Conan's sword has cracked down by the hilt. It is a pretty bad crack and only held together by about a 16th of an inch. It would have cracked off, but there is a small metal post running along the top edge of the sword where the hilt and the blade meet. That is what is holding the sword in one piece.

Anyone have any tips or experience repairing these statues? I was going to epoxy the sword back together. The only other solution would be to replace the Conan figure itself.
Poordevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Webb
Kindly Asked To Leave

Could you post pictures please.

Thanks
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Poordevil
Doh!

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/878/075xe.jpg

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9939/081nm.jpg

I couldn't post the pictures directly, sorry.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Here ya go...

Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Poordevil
Doh!

Yea I found the right links too, but I thought the picts were to hideous to show anyway!

I didn't know what the statue was made of. I took it to a jeweler this morning to have her look at it and possible solder it, but it is made of resin not metal. So she told me it needed to be epoxied back together.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I prefer superglue gel for detailed glueing instead of epoxy. You can apply the superglue with a toothpick. I think two part epoxy is too thick and should be used for glueing large parts.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
alexeicrow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

dont know if you hve Wurth products there but they make a great gel superglue. I think it would be perfect for this repair and once cured (in seconds) is super strong
alexeicrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Mines broke at the same place and I just flushed mines back together than superglued it because it is resin, also put more superglue over the crack itself than sanded it and painted it, check the pic and link below, I dont think you can tell.

I had a difficult time to get the seperated pieces to be flushed back together because of the wire inside, and yours seems to have more seperation than mines had so you might have to cut the wire to flush the resin pieces back together.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...06#post1121006

warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Poordevil
Doh!

Wow Warhead that repair came out perfect! Okay that settles it, I'm going to use super glue not epoxy. I will glue both faces of the break, applying with a toothpick, then shove them back together. That will leave excess glue I can remove with a clean toothpick. I will let that harden and if needed sand it smooth, then repaint it.

By the way that is a great repaint job you did on your statue! Looks way better than the stock job. Do you use Warhammer paints or what?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

It was such a long time ago...but back then I strictly used Tamiya paints, but really any acrylic game paints should be fine, just do a test fit if it can be flushed back together again, if there is no problem just glue one side than flush and hold pieces together for at least 15 seconds.

If you can still see and feel the crack...very lightly and slowly fill the crack with superglue on one side of the sword at a time, than let it dry and than you can sand and paint.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote