Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Reviews vs Reality

Anyone else getting frustrated purchasing a comic book based on a review and then Regretting it?

I picked up both Superman #1 and Amazing Spide-Man #1 based on this set of reviews and was completely underwhelmed. The supposedly hilarious exchange between Superman and Martian Manhunter just felt tired and played, and the supposedly great art on Spider-Man was cartoony, amateurish and flat...not to mention I could barely make it to the end of the story.

https://www.newsarama.com/40776-best...uperman-1.html

Last edited by wktf; 07-13-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Typos.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Mister H
Gen 13

I think newsarama is to comics what rotten tomatoes is to Disney movies. TBH, I’ve noticed a lot of that is going around.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Why did they re-number ASM again? Cause of the new creative team? I really wish that all books would go back and stick with their original numbering. It’s really annoying to me.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

I no longer buy comic books that I don't spend a good amount of time flipping thru on the racks. But .... that doesn't always work for I too purchased the new Superman #1 which I ultimately found "all over the place". The time skipping just never worked for me. Spidey, #1, seemed to be just grabbing at straws & didn't work.

I do trust reviews here, however, & just wish more of us would let the rest of us know what he or she thinks about a just released book. What happened?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I no longer buy comic books that I don't spend a good amount of time flipping thru on the racks. But .... that doesn't always work for I too purchased the new Superman #1 which I ultimately found "all over the place". The time skipping just never worked for me. Spidey, #1, seemed to be just grabbing at straws & didn't work.

I do trust reviews here, however, & just wish more of us would let the rest of us know what he or she thinks about a just released book. What happened?
I’d love to start up The Mighty Reviews again.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #6
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I knew it would be train wreck with Superman after Action Comics 1000... There is no way that i touch Superman and Action Comics ever again... Even 1000 issue which was a special land mark was garbage... the rest must be horrendous.

I quit spider-man with one more day. I don't need the same stuff over and over again... I can only bearly stand that with Batman...I'm like Joker again... Ok, i hope it's good this time (but 99% chance, it is not) with Spider-Man.... I'm like... Goblin again... get that thing out of my face... I'm so tired of colorful Spider-Man villains... it's all done with Spider-Man, they just drag it...

Mighty Reviews would be awesome. You guys are inactive for a long time now, a come back is due.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
You're the last reviewer left!
But that would be nice
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I'm just talking about comic readers on the forum, just letting the rest of us know what they thought about a new book. We no longer even mention what new books we're even buying. Joe, I loved your reviews when you & the gang were writing them, but I know it was a lot of work (I wrote a few back in the day), I wouldn't ask you to do that again...unless you'd truly want to. But, how about all of us make more of an effort to let the rest of us know what's worth reading.

Here are the books I'm reading now that I'm actually really enjoying.

- The Flash (The Flash War arc) This book has just been great! The recent issue where the JLA attempted to stop an extremely world-dangerous, full-out race between Wally & Barry was awesome. Every jla team-member couldn't come close to stopping the speedsters.

- Mark Waid's Dr. Strange. Doc in outer space & it's somehow really working. 3 issues deep.

- Mark Millar's Magic The Order. Holy sh*&! 1st ish was dynamite.

- Future Quest/Hanna Barbera - Mentioned in my HB thread. This series consistently kicks-a$$. Just finished a 3-issue Herculoids arc.

- 1st ish of Cosmic Ghost Rider was oddly fun!

- Marvel 2 in one.

- Old Man Hawkeye's been great!

- the 1st issue of Jeff Lemire's Sentry was very good.

- Statix Press' Konungar is 2 issues deep on just an epic Sword 'n Sorcery' epic. Loving this book -

Books that are not hitting, but missing -

Anyone else think Mike Del Mundo's art on Aaron's new Thor book blows? It's killing the book for me. (as if the "metal-arm" wasn't enough)

On the fence with Al Ewing's new Immortal Hulk. It's kinda good & Joe Bennett's art is good.

Mr. Miracle's taking too damn long.

1st ish of the new X-23 seemed way too soft for the character. Doubt I'll be back.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post

Anyone else think Mike Del Mundo's art on Aaron's new Thor book blows?

Wow does it ever.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I don't know how much of a help i can be... i'm so casualy going between American, Japanese, Italian and French comics as trades. I'm global yo ! I mostly read Omnibuses when it comes to American comics, nothing current. I'm an Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe guy. So i'm very behind of what's current.

I try to recommend what i read under ''recommend the lastest comics or TPB you have read'' thread. I try to make some reviews there... I'm no pro though.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote