Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #481
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I like your image from the Raimi movie. I get what they are going for, it's just not all the way there. Why not have Peter actually beat up? Why is the hair still so flawless? Why is the other eye cover ok? It just need to look more damaged. It just looks like he caught his mask on a hook and ripped it, not like he got cracked by Doc Ock or hit by a pumpkin bomb.

I'm not buying this piece, so I have no dog in the fight. I just think some "battle damage" could help that look. The masked portrait and the rest of the statue is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post

It's very similar to how the mask was in his final battle with Green Goblin from the Raimi movie. It's the only thing I really like about the statue.

Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #482
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I like your image from the Raimi movie. I get what they are going for, it's just not all the way there. Why not have Peter actually beat up? Why is the hair still so flawless? Why is the other eye cover ok? It just need to look more damaged. It just looks like he caught his mask on a hook and ripped it, not like he got cracked by Doc Ock or hit by a pumpkin bomb.

I'm not buying this piece, so I have no dog in the fight. I just think some "battle damage" could help that look. The masked portrait and the rest of the statue is great
I believe there were limitations in the amount of battle damage that Pete could have as per Marvel.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #483
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I don’t think so compare to XMs base it’s miles ahead . Once painted with light up it will be fantastic . It’s already getting huge money it hasent even been painted yet. That’s the beauty of collecting .

Spidey is the art style of McFarlane is so iconic and no company was going to give me what I wanted so this piece was a no brainer . Put it at 1/3 scale to boot and it’s one of the more impressive stand alone centre pieces in any Spidey collection. That’s my two cents
That base is just too busy for me. You lose Spidey in it. I did like the initial renders though.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #484
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

That’s beauty of it . We can pick and choose what we want. I can’t have it all and I don’t have a decade to wait for someone to try make a certain style of Spiderman . I may hate it after i see it painted it’s happened. I wanted definitive McFarlane Spidey . Base could def been better without goblin glider but I’ll suck it up because the Spidey is cool. Time will tell.
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #485
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:

Great points Demona. After I posted the picture and then looked at the statue again it made me wonder why he wasn't more battle damaged. Even with the masked head Spidey should be a little beat up since he's fighting several enemies at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I believe there were limitations in the amount of battle damage that Pete could have as per Marvel.
I usually scoff at the "blame Marvel for xyz crowd" and I believe it. It makes no sense that you have tons of blood in the comics (just saw Return of Wolverine literally opens with him in a puddle of blood) but that's not allowed to be translated into statue form.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #486
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I get it, Marvel doesn't want anything excessively graphic. However, even in the comics he is drawn with a black eye or a split lip. This portrait seems to have nothing....ok maybe two small "scratches"(?) on his cheek. And if Peter is getting beat in the head enough to destroy his mask, he's not looking great underneath it. I don't need missing teeth, but a shiner and some mussed hair would help out IMO.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #487
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
Great points Demona. After I posted the picture and then looked at the statue again it made me wonder why he wasn't more battle damaged. Even with the masked head Spidey should be a little beat up since he's fighting several enemies at once.

I usually scoff at the "blame Marvel for xyz crowd" and I believe it. It makes no sense that you have tons of blood in the comics (just saw Return of Wolverine literally opens with him in a puddle of blood) but that's not allowed to be translated into statue form.
Quote:
I get it, Marvel doesn't want anything excessively graphic. However, even in the comics he is drawn with a black eye or a split lip. This portrait seems to have nothing....ok maybe two small "scratches"(?) on his cheek. And if Peter is getting beat in the head enough to destroy his mask, he's not looking great underneath it.
I'm not sure guys, that's just what I heard. Ask Bryan, he'll be able to explain it.

Personally, I'm not into battle damage on my superheros.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:47 AM   #488
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Here's a comparison of XM Doc Oc and Spidey together. According to Radd Titan, Doc Oc Measured at STGCC last year was around 25.5" tall. Spidey is going to be very similar to that.

They look fantastic together!

Old 10-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #489
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
News GHeroes Europe

GHeroes Europe Facebook

XM Studios Facebook

~~~~~~~~~

Pictures from Bryan Tan

Now THESE are good classic Spidey eyes.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #490
Conehead
Luke Cage

When I look at the pic with Spidey and Dr Ock statues together...they look awkward on display.Not feeling either.
Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote