risingstar
Jedi Order

Back from the framer!

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1400362
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
risingstar
Jedi Order

Incidentally, my daughter dressed up as Zatanna for the ComicCon this past July 8.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #23
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Great framing job!
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 PM   #24
SpectatorGuy
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I recently committed to buying a painting myself so I have some questions about the care/maintenance.

How does a collector "protect" a painting? Should I get it framed with uv glass or something? How much does framing something like that cost? I know its probably a custom size frame and all that jazz. How did you pick where to frame it? Trusting a place with something so amazing is always a little tricky.

I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but that is a beautiful piece of art and I figure you've already been through the process so you've had to deal with some of these issues.
SpectatorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:27 AM   #25
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Gorgeous
Old 09-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectatorGuy View Post
I recently committed to buying a painting myself so I have some questions about the care/maintenance.

How does a collector "protect" a painting? Should I get it framed with uv glass or something? How much does framing something like that cost? I know its probably a custom size frame and all that jazz. How did you pick where to frame it? Trusting a place with something so amazing is always a little tricky.

I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but that is a beautiful piece of art and I figure you've already been through the process so you've had to deal with some of these issues.

I'll gladly answer this Q.

1) I never leave the artwork with the framer. Too unnecessarily risky. Initially, I will go to the framer's shop and pick the frame that best matches the painting, at which point, the framer will then order the frame from his supplier (some shops may already have the molding in stock, but that is not typical). Once the frame comes in, they call me and I set up a time when I can come back with the painting and they do the frame on the spot. I'm generally in and out within an hour with the new frame.

2) I would recommend using UV pro conservation or museum glass. While I am imagine you would never display your painting in front of a window in the direction of the sun, you still need to take into account the potential negative effects of even standard house lighting (especially industrial lighting - the worst) might have on your painting so the glass is important for long term care. The glass I use is this special see-through-type where you can't even see the glass.

Glass is not a must as some purists will argue it traps the painting or does not allow the paint to breathe. I say poppycock... lol. I have kids who touch and sneeze on everything. Exposing the painting like that seems risky to me. People touch, especially when you are not looking. I recommend getting the glass.

3) I prefer to use archival acid-free matting and spacers (to add depth to the painting in the frame) on my paintings but it is not a must. Some people just frame the painting with no bells and whistles - which is fine.

4) Shop around for prices and deals. The prices are everywhere. I suggest you try a Michael's store in your area. They seem to have the best deals for custom framing. Micheal's would probably charge around $300-$400 for something like this. Other framers might charge double for the exact same job which is why it is important to shop around and develop a relationship with you framer.

I frame every original painting I buy. I've only used three frame shops during that time. However, I did shop around. I need to get a good vibe from the framer. I ask to see examples of their work. You are the boss, don't forget. If the framer comes off inpatient or pushy or inexperienced, I prefer not to chance it and simply move on to the next framer.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #27
freeform
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I'll gladly answer this Q.

1) I never leave the artwork with the framer. Too unnecessarily risky. Initially, I will go to the framer's shop and pick the frame that best matches the painting, at which point, the framer will then order the frame from his supplier (some shops may already have the molding in stock, but that is not typical). Once the frame comes in, they call me and I set up a time when I can come back with the painting and they do the frame on the spot. I'm generally in and out within an hour with the new frame.

2) I would recommend using UV pro conservation or museum glass. While I am imagine you would never display your painting in front of a window in the direction of the sun, you still need to take into account the potential negative effects of even standard house lighting (especially industrial lighting - the worst) might have on your painting so the glass is important for long term care. The glass I use is this special see-through-type where you can't even see the glass.

Glass is not a must as some purists will argue it traps the painting or does not allow the paint to breathe. I say poppycock... lol. I have kids who touch and sneeze on everything. Exposing the painting like that seems risky to me. People touch, especially when you are not looking. I recommend getting the glass.

3) I prefer to use archival acid-free matting and spacers (to add depth to the painting in the frame) on my paintings but it is not a must. Some people just frame the painting with no bells and whistles - which is fine.

4) Shop around for prices and deals. The prices are everywhere. I suggest you try a Michael's store in your area. They seem to have the best deals for custom framing. Micheal's would probably charge around $300-$400 for something like this. Other framers might charge double for the exact same job which is why it is important to shop around and develop a relationship with you framer.

I frame every original painting I buy. I've only used three frame shops during that time. However, I did shop around. I need to get a good vibe from the framer. I ask to see examples of their work. You are the boos, don't forget. If the framer comes off inpatient or pushy or inexperienced, I prefer not to chance it and simply move on to the next framer.
I need to bookmark this!
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote