Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 03-20-2023, 04:21 PM   #111
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDDo View Post
Really? For me they're behind basically every other "big player" - Prime 1, XM, Queen, Sideshow, probably Tweeterhead as well.
He’s talking about for movie type pieces, where our options have always been limited.

Which means in those cases, just from what they do and don’t produce, XM isn’t even applicable, and neither is Tweeterhead. As I don’t believe either one has produced more than 1 or 2 such pieces in the last 5 years (if not longer for XM). Sideshow has a few solid pieces in the last few years, but they can have just as many disasters.

Because I collect primarily MCU pieces nowadays, for 1/4 scales I rank it Queen, then Iron Studios, then Sideshow. And Prime 1 aren't in the 1/4 scale game for DC movie pieces, at least not yet.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:43 PM   #112
KiDDo
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Ok, I thought this was about 1/4 in general since he didn?t specifically say movie pieces. In that case I have to agree with most of your points. Sideshow is indeed hit-and-miss with movie stuff but their Ahsoka is top notch and I?d take her over any IS piece, same thing with Catwoman from TH. And if we?re talking 1/4 movie pieces in general - you mentioned DC but IS does more Marvel than DC I think? - it?s clearly Prime 1 followed by Queen, especially with what has been shown as prototypes.
KiDDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:27 PM   #113
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Ok, I thought this was about 1/4 in general since he didn?t specifically say movie pieces. In that case I have to agree with most of your points. Sideshow is indeed hit-and-miss with movie stuff but their Ahsoka is top notch and I?d take her over any IS piece, same thing with Catwoman from TH. And if we?re talking 1/4 movie pieces in general - you mentioned DC but IS does more Marvel than DC I think? - it?s clearly Prime 1 followed by Queen, especially with what has been shown as prototypes.
I have dozens of 1/3 scale Prime 1 pieces, and in that time, most of us have learned that going by prototypes is a lesson in futility.

And Prime 1 doesn’t currently do 1/4 scale DC pieces, which was the topic at hand. They do other lines in 1/4 scale such as for their LOTR pieces.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:42 PM   #114
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
And Prime 1 doesn't currently do 1/4 scale DC pieces,
Though that is changing with the 1/4 scale rehashes of their popular Hush Batman and Superman pieces.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:50 PM   #115
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Though that is changing with the 1/4 scale rehashes of their popular Hush Batman and Superman pieces.
Again I was referring to movie type pieces. They’ve yet to do one, at least for now. Given I’m assuming Sideshow have allowed it, movie pieces should be coming up.

Though I wonder how Sideshow permitted it? Did they not have the money to continue their previous licence which had a stranglehold on the market, or are Prime 1 paying Sideshow to operate under their 1/4 scale licence?
Old 03-20-2023, 07:04 PM   #116
KiDDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I have dozens of 1/3 scale Prime 1 pieces, and in that time, most of us have learned that going by prototypes is a lesson in futility.

And Prime 1 doesn?t currently do 1/4 scale DC pieces, which was the topic at hand. They do other lines in 1/4 scale such as for their LOTR pieces.
Even if their releases aren?t quite as good as the prototypes the final product is still unmatched compared to other companies, especially regarding paint apps.

Just curious though, why was the topic at hand DC movies pieces? This is the Scarlet Witch thread after all
Old 03-20-2023, 07:37 PM   #117
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Even if their releases aren?t quite as good as the prototypes the final product is still unmatched compared to other companies, especially regarding paint apps.

Just curious though, why was the topic at hand DC movies pieces? This is the Scarlet Witch thread after all
Because Prime 1 was brought up by you, and Prime 1 does DC and not Marvel.

And with regards to paint apps on Prime 1 movie pieces, their paint app quality is on par with everyone else nowadays (Sideshow have improved over their older pieces). I have a large chunk of them across manufacturers. Though I personally prefer the paint apps on Queens so far small selection. Only one I didn’t care for all that much was Queens Black Widow’s face sculpt (paint was okay, except around the eyes which is throwing it off for me), but everything else was great. And until the Falcon Cap from Iron Studios I liked their paint apps (except for their usual horrendous base paint apps).
Old 03-20-2023, 08:11 PM   #118
KiDDo

Only DC piece I mentioned was the TH Catwoman just because it is the only movie piece they have done so far (isn?t it?) and show that I prefer that to any movie piece by IS because I just don?t really like their art style (and paint) for some reason. Just another quick example: Knightmare Batman. Queen > Weta > IS from what I have seen so far. But we are getting too far away here I guess, and to each their own
Old 04-08-2023, 10:27 AM   #119
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Received this initially with some paint issues. Sideshow took care of me though and I received a replacement yesterday. I love the statue (and with Queen pretty much saying they won't do a 1/4 version, I am glad I have this for my 1/4 Wanda).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SW2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	160800   Click image for larger version

Name:	SW1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	160801  
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:51 PM   #120
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

She looks good! I love that costume, the designers did a great job.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote