Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-21-2023, 12:31 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Favorite Indie Comics & Covers.

I was buying a lot of Indie Comics back in the 80's. There were just so many start-ups publishing some pretty good books. Publishers like First, Capital, Black Tie, Amazing, Eclipse, Caliber, Arrow, Boom, Innovation, Silver Wolf, Greater Mercury, Blackthorne, Anarctic, Now ... I could go on. I've started to pull these little arcs & re-read them. I'm finding plenty of duds, but also more than my share of cool heroes & stories. Please post some of your faves from back in the glory-days of Independent comics. Here are 6 fun examples.

The Last Generation (1986)

Only lasting some 5 or so issues, Black Tie's Last Generation combined American Indian Shamanism with mutated humans & animals thousands of years post apocalypse. Pretty good stuff.

Silver Wolf - Grips -

This is the book that I 1sr saw Tim Vigil's gorgeous & uber-violent art. I was blown away! It apparently went 23 issues but I only saw the 1st 4 or so.

The Elementals - 1983

1st appearing in Texas Comics, the book quickly fell under the Comico brand. Bill Willingham created this team of 4 superheroes who, in the 1st issue, are all killed in 4 different ways by 4-elementally themed manners. Fire, Water, Air & Earth. The 4 resurrect with the power of the element that killed them. Great stuff & Willingham would go on to work for DC.

The Badger - 1983 Capital, then First.

Mike Baron created this gonzo book & was immediately hooked from the 1st issue. A Bipolar, martial arts expert vet teams with a ancient Druid in Wisconsin. I doubt his zany mental health issues would float today but it sure was a fun book in it's time.

The Ex-Mutants 1986-94 Eternity, Amazing, Pied Piper, Malibu

This book bounced around a lot with me finally just giving up following it. But, in it's own silly way, it was a lot of fun for a while. After a nuclear war, a mutated scientist discovers a group of teens all frozen in suspended animation. He revives them & becomes their mutant-leader with all them quickly developing a fighting skillset. Off they travel into a ruined world landscape.

Honorable Mention - DNAgents 1983 - Eclipse then Anarctic Press

Genetically engineered heroes act as industrial firekeepers for a scientific corporation. A member Crossfire, branced off to his own book.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:37 PM   #2
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Loved Elementals, Badger and DNAgents! I also read a lot of Nexus. I'll need to do some cover searches and edit my post when I have more time this weekend.
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:53 PM   #3
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Unfortunaly, i have to sit this one out because i didn't have any access to American Comics in the 80s and i didn't know how to read in the 80s anyway... I started to the Elementary School in 1990. (: And learned English in 2003. (:
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

That's cool Dark Knight. I figure a lot of members here would be too young to remember the 80's small publishers. Hopefully, you will still have some fun learning about what was out there.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
That's cool Dark Knight. I figure a lot of members here would be too young to remember the 80's small publishers. Hopefully, you will still have some fun learning about what was out there.
Yeah, i am looking forward to what kind of different indie comic books from 80s, i have never heard about will appeare. My journey with American Comics really started in 2003, when i learned English and got my first credit card. (: A really near and dear indie comics to my heart from 2000s was Elephantmen. It was really good, i followed it for awhile back then as floppies.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:27 PM   #6
protector2814
Phoenix

I remember going to a con in the mid 80's & meeting a dealer from Detroit. I gave him a $100 dollar bill & he promised to mail me back this, at the time, incredibly collectable 1st issue. Sure enough, I opened this one within 2 weeks. Great condition. I later realized that the character was introduced in an earlier fanzine(2 actually)which I also ended up buying - I own every comic book he was in. Bob Burden's -

Old 01-21-2023, 10:37 PM   #7
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I used to read The Elementals. The was one of my few comic readings outside of DC or Marvel

I remember enjoying them. Kind of a shame they are sitting in comic book limbo.
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

You can't help but to keep going back to First. They just had some great books -

anyone remember the short-lived Jon Sable tv show?

Old 01-23-2023, 01:52 PM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Crossgen Publ. Put out a vey good Fantasy book with very early Greg Land' art called Sojourn. Like many indie books, this comic just suddenly stopped mid arc. Shame.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:51 PM   #10
Davidian
Omega Flight

Favorite cover of all time is Miracleman #15. Glad to own a graded 9.8 copy

Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote