Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #41
Gustavo Freire
Jubilee

I'll have to pass and get the Koto artfx instead.
Gustavo Freire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #42
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

I really want a large hulkbuster as I love the aou design. But that is crazy money for what is basically a big plastic toy. It's actually not even THAT big, especially not for the money.
I'm going to see what imaginarium art come out with as they have said that are doing an AOU hulkbuster. I'm guessing their's will be 1:4 which would be a perfect size for this.

EDIT: just checked imaginarium's facebook page hulkbuster confirmed at 1:4 scale 83cm high! perfect size! guaranteed to be cheaper than this as well. tOnly slight drawback is you need to find someone to import there stuff for you as they only have a license for Asia.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #43
TechnoDestructo
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Anyone find this at a better price?
TechnoDestructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #44
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Lots of people seem to be incredibly excited for this thing.
It looks and feels like an oversized and overpriced plastic toy. Funny reading people justifying at any cost the purchase bringing up "engineering" and "articulations". Lol, everyone spend their money as they see fit, but no need to make up things to justify it.
Can't believe it costs as much as XM Magneto, btw. Gives the idea of the profit margin they have on this thing.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #45
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Lots of people seem to be incredibly excited for this thing.
It looks and feels like an oversized and overpriced plastic toy. Funny reading people justifying at any cost the purchase bringing up "engineering" and "articulations". Lol, everyone spend their money as they see fit, but no need to make up things to justify it.
Can't believe it costs as much as XM Magneto, btw. Gives the idea of the profit margin they have on this thing.
I actually find the cost of this more justifiable than Magneto. Hulkbuster probably has 100+ pieces, each of which has to be individually designed, molded, manufactured, assembled (repeat over and over until every piece fits correctly), then produced for production, then painted where necessary.

I'm sure the profit margin on both the Hulkbuster and Magneto are very high.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #46
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I actually find the cost of this more justifiable than Magneto. Hulkbuster probably has 100+ pieces, each of which has to be individually designed, molded, manufactured, assembled (repeat over and over until every piece fits correctly), then produced for production, then painted where necessary.

I'm sure the profit margin on both the Hulkbuster and Magneto are very high.
While I certainly agree on your last statment, I like to think that the huge different in ES between Mags and this HB offsets the number of pieces the latter is made of.
I'd also add... all these tens/hundreds of pieces, what purpose do they serve? In the Secret Base pics the Hulkbuster still looks like a huge toy.
And I have serious doubts all the "engineering" behind will really serve any purpose, glad to be disproven eventually, but I think articulations on this thing will be nearly non existent. It's a pity, because with a decent pose it would look less like a big toy and more like a high end collectible or however are classified HT now.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #47
newuser1
Frackin!

I think on average xm statues have about a 100% markup. Their actual costs to make are probably comparable to most polystone statues of the same quality which would put them at $400 to $500. While xm's qc is quite admirable so far it doesn't justify a 100% markup on every one of their statues.This is probably the main reason why their hulk and hawkeye statues are still available for purchase and didn't sell out as fast as their other statues.
I think the hot toys hulkbuster statue is overpriced as well but since its actual cost is probably closer to between $600 to $700 the markup isn't quite as much. And you did mention how es comes into play with the cost. In my opinion es shouldn't be a factor with setting the initial price of a collectible. If that is the case then every statue that has a low es could justifiably have an inflated price just because its popular and there are limited numbers being made. Xm could do what ebay sellers are doing now and price their statues at $1500 to $3000.
Also consider that even though an es was not set hot toys will definitely not make an unlimited number of the hulkbusters due to its size, manufacturing costs, etc.
Regardless the prices of all of these collectibles seem to be creeping up more and more and the markups will probably continue as long as people keep paying for them at these price points.
newuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #48
Atheris
The Maxx

LOL $825 for a plastic toy?? I could buy a 52" LCD TV for less.

Thanks SS/HT I needed a laugh today.

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #49
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
LOL $825 for a plastic toy?? I could buy a 52" LCD TV for less.

Thanks SS/HT I needed a laugh today.

Chris
I never really thought of it in those terms but I guess I would prefer a nice larger TV too --since we're talking all of these complicated working parts!

Best Buy sells a VIZIO 60" Class, LED 1080p, Smart HDTV for only $799!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e-...&skuId=3730007
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #50
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
While I certainly agree on your last statment, I like to think that the huge different in ES between Mags and this HB offsets the number of pieces the latter is made of.
I'd also add... all these tens/hundreds of pieces, what purpose do they serve? In the Secret Base pics the Hulkbuster still looks like a huge toy.
And I have serious doubts all the "engineering" behind will really serve any purpose, glad to be disproven eventually, but I think articulations on this thing will be nearly non existent. It's a pity, because with a decent pose it would look less like a big toy and more like a high end collectible or however are classified HT now.
It has 30 points of articulation.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote