Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #41
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

There is a difference to me between changes here and those in the interpretation of comic books. Comic books have decades of history in which a characters representation is solely the product of the artist and writer working on them at the time. As time passes vastly sweeping changes are made to those characters as writers, artists and times change.

Batman is the prime example of this: Grim Avenger, to Swashbuckling adventurer, to Campy Crusader, to superhero, to Dark Knight.

I view filmmakers as continuing that tradition, for better or worse, providing the audience of the day their vision of the character.
The Hobbit is a single work, crafted by a single visionary and therefore, IMHO, has less room for artistic license.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:18 AM   #42
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
No offense, but it just seems like you have a difficult time looking at these things objectively. The sentence in bold is probably the reason why. I respect how special certain stories and characters are to you (I feel the same way more often you might think), but they don't belong to any specific person or certain group of people. Film is just another medium that attempts to appeal to a wider audience. Trying to strike a balance between appeasing the existing fan base and bringing in a new one isn't easy, but that's the sole reason these movies exist in the first place. To bring in as many people in order to see as much profit as possible.

All of that said, there are good changes and there are most definitely bad ones. More often than not there are bad ones. However, there is a big difference between changing things in an attempt to improve the narrative for this medium and then there is just change for the sake of change. With a little bit of willingness and time anyone can begin to discern the difference.
Probably the best post I've read from you to date. I certainly understand that we probably won't agree on a lot of things, but I do respect your opinion to disagree with me, or anyone else. The only issue I've ever had with someone who disagrees with me is when they come off as condescending. I try to be respectful of others opinions, but, I imagine that I've offended someone before as well. Anyway, my point being that this post seems to explain your position without the feeling of belittling, and that is appreciated. And, hey, with a little bit of willingness and time, maybe you'll start to see things from the right perspective...

Just kiddin around with that last sentence.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #43
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

I guess nobody is excited about the trailer.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #44
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
I am just not getting the same level of excitement out of the Hobbit trilogy as I did with the LOTR.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #45
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
I'm soooo excited! I can't wait until December 17th!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #46
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #47
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

http://screenrant.com/hobbit-battle-...alf-galadriel/
Old 10-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #48
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

"It’ll likewise be interesting to see how Battle of the Five Armies affects general opinion on the Hobbit trilogy as a whole, seeing how the reception’s been far more mixed than it was for Jackson’s Rings films. Most people will probably still prefer Frodo’s journey over Bilbo’s at the end of the day, but if Jackson finishes his Hobbit trilogy on a strong note then it could improve the outlook towards his opinion to split Tolkien’s Hobbit source novel into three movies to begin with."
Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #49
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
"It’ll likewise be interesting to see how Battle of the Five Armies affects general opinion on the Hobbit trilogy as a whole, seeing how the reception’s been far more mixed than it was for Jackson’s Rings films. Most people will probably still prefer Frodo’s journey over Bilbo’s at the end of the day, but if Jackson finishes his Hobbit trilogy on a strong note then it could improve the outlook towards his opinion to split Tolkien’s Hobbit source novel into three movies to begin with."
For me that first film tainted the franchise as it reeked of filler in the interest of making 2 films a trilogy.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #50
Sithlord32
New Republic

I would have to agree that this story defiantly has far less room for personal interpretation than a movie based on a comic hero so much so that it isn't even a very good comparison used in that context. Sure the characters in certain aspects their costumes and the sets do but the story does not.

There and back again had some filler to it yes and for that reason the overall feel of the movie and the trilogy got off to a slow start but as a whole I still really enjoy watching it. Desolation of Smaug was really no different just that the story is building which makes it more interesting and thus more compelling. There is great feeling portrayed through out if you stop and take a second to try and see it from the perspective of not just the story on its own but from the characters point of view.

Ive watched both several times and one scene in certain that I just most recently picked up on is the scene at Bagend before they set off on the Journey. The Lyrics to Misty Mountians cold, the look on their faces and in their eyes when Thorin starts singing and how they all slowly stand up and participate is really quite amazing. They brought so much feeling into that scene alone.

One thing also that has grown on me as I watch these repeatedly till December is the scene with Thorin and Thraduil. I want a PF of Thranduil now in a regal but menacing pose with his sword drawn and a SOP of his face from this scene!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9se3S5UaPU

I feel the battle of the five armies is going to spectacular just Return of the King was. I still get a tear in my eye occasionally when Frodo sails away at the end.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote