Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Edward-G
Frackin!

Unhappy Problem with Larry Stroman Commissions

Guys, I wanted to find out if anyone else is having problems with their commission requests from Larry Stroman.

After reading of the happy resolution of similar commission problems with Larry in another forum (Collectors Society), I reached out to him in November 2012. He was quick to answer and we agreed on the price for a set of commissions. I sent him a 50% downpayment in December 2012 and he said that the commissions would be ready "soon". Then he stopped answering all my emails. I sent one about once a month, so it's not like I was bugging him incessantly.

After I asked for a refund on April 2013, he replied saying that the art would be ready in 3 days. It's now been more a month and he's gone silent again.

Via CAF, I've learned that another collector, from Spain, has the same problem. He paid Larry for an X-Factor commission in December 2012 and has not heard from him since.

I'm a big fan of Larry's work and so this behavior is really bothering me. What's more galling is that he's been posting art for sale on CAF. The last one, a Batman, was posted on May 10th (5 days ago).

Please let me know if you are in the same boat. Perhaps we can come up with a concerted effort to get this resolved.
Edward-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Sucks. Sounds like he's consistently like this. Was a fan of his xforce art. Hope you get a good resolution.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

It sucks when something like this happens to one of us
I'm also waiting for a commission that has been promised to me since last year. Kept getting "I'll work on it as soon as I'm done with this" but never gotten anything until today. What pisses me off is that he kept posting new commission on his DA and FB which aren't mine.

Hope Larry will deliver yours soon.
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Edward-G
Frackin!

I wish I had the foresight to ask that the art before the 45-day time limit for a PayPal passed dispute passed. Then I could at least have had my money back. That Spanish collector I mentioned had the same thought.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

better half up front than all. just trying to be positive. sorry to hear your problem, seems like the first we've seen around here in a few months.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I hope this works out for everyone. I picked up one of the predone pieces larry listed for sale on caf (it was a no brainer since it was a batman on gargoyle). Not sure what the delay is, but he has a facebook account that's active. perhaps contact him thru facebook and you'll have beter luck
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Edward-G
Frackin!

I did send him a few messages on Facebook, Aric. Same deafening silence.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
TSM_in_NY
Frackin!

Mine is a very long and involved story which I'd rather not bore everyone here with.

Here's the "short" version, I commissioned Mr. Stroman for two pieces which, ultimately, were only delivered when he was threatened with a Paypal claim.

Of the two pieces delivered one had a nice sized tear in it.

When contacted about this issue Mr. Stroman's position on the matter was "Artwork received, transaction over.".

Suffice to say I was not the least bit satisfied with his attitude.

I opened up a Paypal claim for delivery of damaged merchandise toot sweet.

Mr. Stroman refused to do anything to make the situation right and ultimately Paypal found in my favor and I got the amount to get the artwork repaired refunded to me.

While all that was going on Mr. Stroman found the time to make libelous comments about me on not only his Facebook page but mine as well. He also made the same libelous claims about me to a friend of mine who just so happens to be an attorney.

Given the fact, that going by Mr. Stroman's tenuous grasp of the English language, he is borderline illiterate doesn't make dealing with him any easier.

It is my belief that it was only my threat of a Paypal dispute that motivated him to do my two pieces in the first place.

In my 20+ years of being an original art collector, I have NEVER dealt with anyone as unprofessional as Larry Stroman.

TL/DR: Stay away! Stay far, far away!!!

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.
TSM_in_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Artists could so easily avoid these happenstances...
It all seems so unnecessary.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

wow, TSM, first post comes out swinging. i like your style. welcome and thanks for the heads up.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote