Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #2711
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
You've mentioned this point a number of times, which gives me the impression that you're not aligned.

Why is it so important that your wife approve of your statue tastes? I can understand her not approving of you hitting the crack pipe every night, or sleeping with the neighbours aupair....but, a statue!?!
We have an 11-year-old, and my statues are displayed in the room where we all watch TV. If my wife doesn't want my son exposed to a scantily-clad female with her sword stabbed through the eye socket of a severed head, then I'm going to respect that. I love the statue (which is probably why I've mentioned this repeatedly), but I understand her point of view.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #2712
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
We have an 11-year-old, and my statues are displayed in the room where we all watch TV. If my wife doesn't want my son exposed to a scantily-clad female with her sword stabbed through the eye socket of a severed head, then I'm going to respect that. I love the statue (which is probably why I've mentioned this repeatedly), but I understand her point of view.
To be fair why cant she understand your point of view, with shows like the walking dead and internet access this sonja statue is very tame.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #2713
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
That's exactly what an 11 year old boy should see......yeah, ok, the severed head.....is perhaps a step too far.

However, it sounds like you need your own space in the house......called a man cave.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #2714
myskye23
Hellboy

Quote:
I respect this Nearmint! I completely understand your belief in this. I was displaying my statues in the family room as well until I was able to get my own space. At the time, I didn't have many statues but I also took into consideration what my wife liked as well since it was being displayed in an area where kids and other people were going to be around the most.

We're all entitled to our own tastes and opinions and Nearmint's respect for his wife and son's feelings should be applauded and not necessarily be frowned upon. For those of us that have our own space - GREAT FOR US, but I've been in Nearmint's shoes as well and I completely understand where he's coming from.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #2715
stone eagle
Justice League

I have been married to the same woman for almost 39 years and I have learned that communication and compromise is the keys to a lasting happy relationship.
Those of you that think the wife has to bend to the guy's will should look at it from the other side, what if she wanted a bunch of well built and well hung virtually naked male statues in a room used daily for many hours? Would that make you feel "less than"?
I try to compromise with covering up the severed head with the cape to cut down on violence, on Wonder Woman I used the skirt to cover up her some and I display my statues in a room I use daily but my wife doesn't have to stare at them for hours every day.
Being a good partner means you should consider the other person's feelings and thoughts.
stone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #2716
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone eagle View Post
I have been married to the same woman for almost 39 years and I have learned that communication and compromise is the keys to a lasting happy relationship.
Those of you that think the wife has to bend to the guy's will should look at it from the other side, what if she wanted a bunch of well built and well hung virtually naked male statues in a room used daily for many hours? Would that make you feel "less than"?
I try to compromise with covering up the severed head with the cape to cut down on violence, on Wonder Woman I used the skirt to cover up her some and I display my statues in a room I use daily but my wife doesn't have to stare at them for hours every day.
Being a good partner means you should consider the other person's feelings and thoughts.
I don't think it's a matter of a anyone bending to anyone else's will, it's a point of being able to explore your own interests. Sure, you need to exhibit some consideration for those around you....especially in a shared environment, which is why it's important to carve out a space for yourself in your home.

In any case, my advice would be - buy the statue, keep it boxed until you have the personal space you need. Missing out, or paying high prices later on in the secondary market is no ones idea of fun.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #2717
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
To be fair why cant she understand your point of view, with shows like the walking dead and internet access this sonja statue is very tame.
We don't let our son watch The Walking Dead, and monitor his internet usage closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
That's exactly what an 11 year old boy should see......yeah, ok, the severed head.....is perhaps a step too far.

However, it sounds like you need your own space in the house......called a man cave.
We live at the beach. A beautiful spot, but space is tight. And no basements in California.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #2718
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone eagle View Post
Thats one helluva false equivalency, the male equivalent to sonja would be conan/ barbarian themed statues. And the idea that statues would make anyone feel "less than" is ridiculous lol
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #2719
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
Even when you complement a statue it is never truly a pdenham post without a touch of melancholy lol.
Just trying to keep the BS to a minimum.

Too many people on the boards cynically hype up these things in the off chance they are going to need to sell theirs at some point, if not planning to immediately.

SS caught on and now these things (at least most of theirs) are mass market items.

The last two SS Sonja's are both awesome pieces, but I wouldn't classify them as rare or very limited. They filled demand and lingered a bit afterwards.
I don't think anyone is going to have to wait to long to see them go up for sale somewhere if they want one.

Contrast that with things that have a fraction of the Sonja's ES and almost never come up for sale.
And that includes some open ES pieces like the $800 (at the time) Galactus maquette, which the veteran collectors warned newer collectors away from.
Try to find one of those now close to it's issue price.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #2720
newuser1
Frackin!

Lol. I can tell by the way nearmint is being criticized that a lot of you guys are not married and you'll probably stay single for quite some time. (or not stay married for long if you decide to tie the knot with anyone)
newuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote