Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #2721
pdenham
Teen Titans

It's a shame nearmint lacks the storage space. Otherwise I would suggest getting this now while it's still more or less readily available and just keeping it in storage till your boy is older, and the wife is a little mellower (as far as this stuff goes).

While I'm sure there will be plenty more Sonja's between now and then, this really is one of the best realized pieces I've ever seen.
At least as far as properties I have some interest in.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #2722
pdenham
Teen Titans

sorry 'bout that. don't know why these are double posting.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #2723
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser1 View Post
Lol. I can tell by the way nearmint is being criticized that a lot of you guys are not married and you'll probably stay single for quite some time. (or not stay married for long if you decide to tie the knot with anyone)
Who's criticizing him?

Be specific as i do hope your not confusing my question/remark with criticism.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #2724
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Lol. I can tell by the way nearmint is being criticized that a lot of you guys are not married and you'll probably stay single for quite some time. (or not stay married for long if you decide to tie the knot with anyone)
I don't really take it as criticism. Just conversation. But yes, when married you chose your battles carefully. It's one statue, and my wife has been very patient with my collecting, so I consider this a minor sacrifice.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #2725
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I don't really take it as criticism. Just conversation. But yes, when married you chose your battles carefully. It's one statue, and my wife has been very patient with my collecting, so I consider this a minor sacrifice.
FANTASTIC! I'm so glad I bumped this thread.

Yes this is part of what makes these forums fun!
Makes it something more than just endless encouragement of consumption.

No one is "bashing" nearmint!

This whole conversation is an example of this culture's societal norm of men expected to constantly bend to women's insecurities.

When I was a kid a lady saw a Jim Balent Batman cover with Catwoman and decided to mention it to my mom, who was sitting beside me as I read it.
That lady was side eyeing a hole through that cover the entire time.

It's always obfuscated as for the good of children.

Like boys won't just be trying to get girls naked if they don't see nudity.
And then the irony of those same women don't want their sons to be gay!
Yeah good luck with all that logic!
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #2726
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
#sigh yes, it's clear that everyone here commenting is a "40yr old virgin" with no worldly experience.....wow, the price of an opinion....who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
FANTASTIC! I'm so glad I bumped this thread.

Yes this is part of what makes these forums fun!
Makes it something more than just endless encouragement of consumption.

No one is "bashing" nearmint!

This whole conversation is an example of this culture's societal norm of men expected to constantly bend to women's insecurities.

When I was a kid a lady saw a Jim Balent Batman cover with Catwoman and decided to mention it to my mom, who was sitting beside me as I read it.
That lady was side eyeing a hole through that cover the entire time.

It's always obfuscated as for the good of children.

Like boys won't just be trying to get girls naked if they don't see nudity.
And then the irony of those same women don't want their sons to be gay!
Yeah good luck with all that logic!
While you may have a general point regarding the dynamics of the human male condition in modern feminist society.....I get the growing feeling that Nearmint's situation may be more nuanced than we know, or has been described.....which is understandable.

Being practical.....I don't think it would be a huge stretch to modify the statue, to remove the severed head on the base....and to elongate the sword, so it's point meets the floor (terrible way to treat the sword tip....but hey, this is fantasy).
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #2727
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I’m glad you think like this. The small ignorant minded are quick to turn a conversation that makes them uncomfortable into one of disregard for women, its sad seeing men that think like this tbh or rather ‘not think’.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #2728
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Just trying to keep the BS to a minimum.

Too many people on the boards cynically hype up these things in the off chance they are going to need to sell theirs at some point, if not planning to immediately.

SS caught on and now these things (at least most of theirs) are mass market items.

The last two SS Sonja's are both awesome pieces, but I wouldn't classify them as rare or very limited. They filled demand and lingered a bit afterwards.
I don't think anyone is going to have to wait to long to see them go up for sale somewhere if they want one.

Contrast that with things that have a fraction of the Sonja's ES and almost never come up for sale.
And that includes some open ES pieces like the $800 (at the time) Galactus maquette, which the veteran collectors warned newer collectors away from.
Try to find one of those now close to it's issue price.
Yeah i've seen some Galactus maquettes go for ridiculous prices.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #2729
tarim69
Sailor Moon

I've had comments made about Sonja and my Frazetta Moon Girl painting ( which was a gift from my wife) ... but say nothing about my other 2 Frazetta Conan paintings ( one featuring a nude male butt), and my statues featuring muscular godlike men ( including the one with the guy in a loincloth - Barbarian unpainted artist proof).
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #2730
Incrysis
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

My wife had a problem with everything I collected hence we are no longer married.....oh wait she cheated on me......it was more the collecting bashing though.
Incrysis is offline   Reply With Quote