Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 07-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
xterminatr
Doh!

Mold making with wax clay

Hey SF,

I've had some experience with polymer clay and making multiple part silicon molds, then casting it with resin.

However I've recently been working with wax clay (chavant NSP and clayette, and probably monster clay as well soon) and encountered a problem.

Usually when molding polymer clay, I would block off the half portion with clay before I pour the silicon mold, then followed by a plaster mold.

The problem with wax clay is that I'm not sure how to block off one portion should I plan on making multiple parts molds. Clay on clay, even if its a softer grade could damage the master mold. I've thought about freezing the clay as well, and even using cardboard as partitions, but I don't think this will work well too.

This is one of my latest works that I plan on casting.

The only solution I can think of is to pour the mold all over and simply cut it to pieces from there, but it sounds crude.Any thoughts would be appreciated.
xterminatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
noysan3001
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

try brush on mold. Cover the whole sculpt then decide which part to cut. Plan ahead before making the cut.
I've been using monsterclay, and the best way for me to make a mold is to brush the silicon into the whole sculpt. Two part mold doesn't work for me because the 1/2 of the sculpt that gets in contact with the clay gets messed up during the mold making.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
xterminatr
Doh!

I see, it really is a whole sculpt mold. thanks!

Hope to hear from the rest of SF on how they handle this as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
noysan3001
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

One more thing, based on your sculpt I would cut the arms and the head. Mold the body first and make some keys on the parts to be joined. It easy to mold in parts than in whole based on your sculpt.
Hope this helps.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
xterminatr
Doh!

quite helpful indeed, thanks

Now my main concern would be the fingers, I don't suppose that I have to cut each finger now do I? Cause that would be quite tedious