Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #21
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

I know the outstretched arm is a classic pose from his first appearance in comics but it's been done to perfection with Bowen.

Arms by his side, chest out, hero pose would be my preferred choice for this Vision, like these -

majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #22
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
After i used google for Bowen Vision i must say the hand needs a basketball. Very different to XM.
Damn Grumpy, that Bowen Vision is amazing and based off the classic cover of Avengers 57. No need to dis the statue just because XM chose to basically go with the same pose. It's not like Bowen invented the pose. That honor goes to big John Buscema.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #23
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic1 View Post
I know the outstretched arm is a classic pose from his first appearance in comics but it's been done to perfection with Bowen.

Arms by his side, chest out, hero pose would be my preferred choice for this Vision, like these -

I like the outstretched arm/hand. For Vision, it is a weapon. He can phase his hand and put it through an object or person and solidify it in someone and cause massive damage. It gives him a ghost/wraith type of feel that is totally befitting of the character. That's why Bowen used it, as did Koto, and now XM. Vision is an android. He's not the type of character to strike a hero pose IMO.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #24
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Damn Grumpy, that Bowen Vision is amazing and based off the classic cover of Avengers 57. No need to dis the statue just because XM chose to basically go with the same pose. It's not like Bowen invented the pose. That honor goes to big John Buscema.
There was no dis, it´s my feeling and opinion. I was no collector at Bowen time and i´m not into classic comic time.

Nothing to do with XM Vision.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #25
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
There was no dis, it´s my feeling and opinion. I was no collector at Bowen time and i´m not into classic comic time.

Nothing to do with XM Vision.
Well, I have to say that I personally don't feel that the Bowen Vision's arm/hand pose looks significantly different than the XM one. I can understand if you don't care for the classic comic look of the piece but to say one needs a basketball and the other doesn't seems like a huge stretch to me. An outstretched hand is an outstretched hand, and both have essentially the exact same pose.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic1 View Post

Odd post. Out of curiosity, why should either collectors or producers of 1/4 scale statues at all care about a clearly inferior smaller scale statue produced by another company over ten years ago? I have zero interest in the Bowen scale. The XM version would be a significant improvement. The idea that XM should reconsider producing a clearly marketable item based on your thoughts on the subject is preposterous. While I hear your point, I think the Bowen statue would have zero impact on XM 1/4 scale sales numbers.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #27
FJC
Midnighter

IMO, there's nothing inferior about the BD Vision. It's a classic piece and it looks phenomenal. I expect the XM Vision will look incredible in its own way even though both poses are so similar.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #28
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Can't wait for Koto's version. And I'll save 800$ as well.
I'm not...nor am I buying anything from Koto after what happened to the Hard Hero situation...that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, I don't do 1/6...1/4 has much more presence. Let's just be honest, a phasing vision IMO really is the best representation of his powers. This concept is tremendous...no it just depends on how it is executed in statue form and especially painted. Are they going to use transparent resin for this? So many questions regarding this.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #29
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Odd post. Out of curiosity, why should either collectors or producers of 1/4 scale statues at all care about a clearly inferior smaller scale statue produced by another company over ten years ago? I have zero interest in the Bowen scale. The XM version would be a significant improvement. The idea that XM should reconsider producing a clearly marketable item based on your thoughts on the subject is preposterous. While I hear your point, I think the Bowen statue would have zero impact on XM 1/4 scale sales numbers.
I agree 100%.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #30
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
IMO, there's nothing inferior about the BD Vision. It's a classic piece and it looks phenomenal. I expect the XM Vision will look incredible in its own way even though both poses are so similar.
From the standpoint of 1/4 to 1/7 scale and that Vision was just standing there with the outstretched arm (yes...I did own this Bowen Vision at one time), it is an inferior statue....that is not a slight at Bowen...the sculpt in and of itself is perfect, but the engineering alone behind the XM 1/4 will put it WORLDS apart from the static standing Bowen pose. I think that is what rising was saying.

I always stated when I first started collecting SS after the Hard Hero Marvel situation, that SS would always be better at 1/4 over any smaller scale statue. What I was basically saying is that the 1/7, and 1/6 statues are nice, but they just don't command the same presence as 1/4 or 1/5. One of the reasons I appreciated Hard Hero so much was due to them being a bigger than Bowen, but also....HH was the precursor to XM. They thought outside of the box. DD, Classic IM, Angel did some pretty amazing things 10 years ago. DD to this day is one of the most impressive forward thinking statues in the history of this collectible hobby of ours. It's one of the reasons why I still feel the best Hulk SS ever did was the Hulk Comiquette where he landing from the jump. How dynamic that statue was and still is to this day. That is the kind of forward thinking I want to see in statues...not the boring stand and look at me stupid museum poses. That's just my opinion.

So when rising comments like he did....I fully understand his reasoning whether some agree with him or not. There is no disrespect towards Bowen as he is one of the benchsetters for this hobby...and he was / is a damn fine sculptor as well. In fact, IMO, there are some pieces Bowen did that would be the best representations of the character if it was done in 1/4 scale....Juggernaut, Apocalypse, Thor spinning hammer version, and a couple select others.