Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Wookiee
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post

Bring reference of what you want done if it's not the usual costume and character.
Even if it is their usual costume, some artists don't have it in the head, and depending on the show and where the artist is from, they may not have internet access to look up reference.

Also make sure your reference is good (shows all the unique bobbles and whistles to the costume) and make sure it is in color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post

Try to have an idea of what you're getting when you ask for a commission so you wont be disappointed.
Have one or two choice characters for each artist. That way if your first choice is not one they are familiar with, interested in, or not willing to draw, you have a back up character on your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
My biggest policy is to set up as many pre-show pieces as possible. That way, the rush at the beginning of the con is minimal and stress-free.

The biggest thing is knowing the artist policy, getting as much done pre-show as possible, and just be cool with artists. Most artists are pretty awesome to deal with and they remember the fans that treat them well vs the ones who don't.
Agreed, set up what you can in advance. I'd advise start putting together your list and watching for pre con announcements upto 6 weeks prior to event. Or getting in touch within that same timeframe.

Also, as Cam said, be cool, don't get agitated and enjoy yourself. You'll find waiting in those lines and visiting with the artists develops you some of your best friends in the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post

for the carrying, i would bring an art portfolio (ie an itoya) either 11x17 or 14x17 to bring your art in. buy a messenger bag that allows for one of these to fit in.
I typically advise and use Itoya's 13x19 as it gives a little extra space especially if the piece is slightly longer or wider. Not all pages are cut the same. I bought a nice portfolio bag with a shoulder strap from a local luggage shop that works beautifully. It is a little wide at the side but it also creates a little personal space at crowded shows too!
Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNegin View Post
William Tiberius Vuk is charging $750?!?! That guy is really overrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
Darn i wanted to get something from him also but at that price point i'm going to pass.
His earlier work was very rough but things have come together lately which is probably the reason for the price hike. I was fortunate enough to score one of his paintings. Wow is all I can say.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

Love the great advice here. Keeping things on the practical side, I like to keep the awkwardness in the conversations to a minimum. That said, I introduce myself to them just as I would any other person. Basically, "Hey ____, I'm Josh, nice to meet you....." Sometimes I shake their hands, sometimes I don't. Depends on how I'm feeling and how they seem as I approach them. Plus, keep some hand sanitizer at the ready, as "con funk" sickness is a real thing! Anyway, just be friendly and all usually goes well. Don't be afraid if an artist's pricing is too high for your budget to ask for alternatives (what if it's on smaller paper, no background, bust shot instead of full figure, etc). Many times they will work with you. But be cognizant of where the line is, don't press it too much if they don't seem interested in changing things up. Finally, I never assume anything, so I always ask. If I want a quick headsketch in a hardcover, I ask how much they charge for it. I never assume it's free. Good luck and welcome!
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
Ankylo
Fantastic Four

I honestly forgot about hand sanitizer. I do have a question about bags. Does anyone use backpacks? Since I'll have to use one to carry around water and snacks I thought there might be something that could carry an 11 x 17 portfolio too?
Ankylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #15
Underdog07
Hercules

Messenger bag is best bet
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #16
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

The North Face messenger bags are perfect for this purpose. They have a waist strap, so if you sling it across your back and do up the strap, the weight is very well distributed
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #17
halfthai
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Anyone have a link to this type of messenger bag (Size/model)? I definitely need a better art carrying solution.
halfthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #18
MO42
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Don't Hover.
MO42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:39 AM   #19
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfthai View Post
Anyone have a link to this type of messenger bag (Size/model)? I definitely need a better art carrying solution.
Here you go mate:
https://thenorthface.com.au/product/...-messenger-med
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
Ankylo
Fantastic Four

I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who helped me in this thread. It was a lot better than I had expected and I greatly appreciate all the pointers though I did find myself hovering at times :/
Ankylo is offline   Reply With Quote